The Student Room Group

Poll: Edexcel M2 17th June 2016 (UK Paper)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Sophie Wilczek
Question 4 I think I got right but question 3 remains a mystery to me and my answer had a root in it (some fraction with the root of 2) so I just assumed 0/6 straight away 🙄

Yeah things like that in Q1 are so annoying... I put the wrong limits (3,4) in 1b and I can't believe how dumb that is... 😠

Oh and the last question it asked for speeds and I gave the velocities. That will be 1 mark gone I guess? Hopefully not more...

I thought Q3 was just "I=m(v-u)". There's not a lot that could have gone wrong. :frown:
Did better than I thought. Considering I'm taking it as an AS as opposed to most people in A2, I would be happy with a 90 ums. I did like s*** in FP1 and M1(max 60/75 each) so this is my final shot and hoping it's gonna save ma ass lol.
Original post by ombtom
I thought Q3 was just "I=m(v-u)". There's not a lot that could have gone wrong. :frown:

I did use that but then I don't know what happened. I could barely breathe 🙄
Reply 43
For the work energy question my method was correct except that I forgot to square 12.5 on my calculator so I got d=4.25. How many marks do you think I will lose for that? I'm so annoyed I made such a dumb mistake.
for 1b i itegrated from 3 to zero also i made a silly mistake for question 2 as i forgot to divide by 2 so my power was 9800 and this mistake carried on throughout the whole question.
Similarly, for the last question i got a speed of 19u/20 not 21u/20 so i also carried this mistake throughout the whole question. (Bear in mind i could do all the questions excluding 1b, so for question 2 and 7 i believe i got all method marks this is what i think)

My question is how marks will i lose all together
Original post by Mini_me
For the work energy question my method was correct except that I forgot to square 12.5 on my calculator so I got d=4.25. How many marks do you think I will lose for that? I'm so annoyed I made such a dumb mistake.
You might lose a method mark for that, and an accuracy mark for the final answer, so whatever the total mark was -2. Do you know what the right answer was?
I would say this paper was more difficult than the June 2013 M2 I did a few days ago. Question 1 was f***ing bs i probably got 2-4 marks just for forming equations. For the centre of mass question I forgot what the area of a sector was (0.5r^2theta with theta in radians?). I found the moments question very straightforward. And for the final coefficient of restitution question I found the correct speeds, but for the second part when finding the final velocity I didn't take into account the direction of v (i.e I did m(v-u) with v and u as speeds, as opposed to m(v--u) which was correct).

If June 13 was 58 for an A then this years have to be lower than that, around 54-56 for an A, 47-49 for a B and around 63ish for an A*. If that's the case I think I can scrape 84-86 UMS.
Reply 47
Original post by lukejoshjames
You might lose a method mark for that, and an accuracy mark for the final answer, so whatever the total mark was -2. Do you know what the right answer was?

Thanks! The answer that most people are saying is 53.1 and I've just redone that question and it is the answer that I would have got had I squared 12.5.
Original post by Mini_me
Thanks! The answer that most people are saying is 53.1 and I've just redone that question and it is the answer that I would have got had I squared 12.5.

That's sucks :/ At least it was only 2 marks though :biggrin: How'd you find the rest of the paper?
Original post by Sophie Wilczek
In June 2012 it was 64 for an A* and the papers are pretty similar so it is possible. 🙄💁🏽

I wouldn't say 64 but 66-67 sounds very realistic.
Reply 50
That's sucks :/ At least it was only 2 marks though :biggrin: How'd you find the rest of the paper?

Generally ok but it seems like I've made quite a few calculation errors. Wbu?
Reply 51
Do we not have any model answers available?????

where can I find them????
Original post by Mini_me
Generally ok but it seems like I've made quite a few calculation errors. Wbu?

tbh I really have no idea. I didn't feel as though it went well at all but looking at some people's answers I'm more confident. Just gonna have to wait for someone to put up an unofficial markscheme I guess
Reply 53
tbh I really have no idea. I didn't feel as though it went well at all but looking at some people's answers I'm more confident. Just gonna have to wait for someone to put up an unofficial markscheme I guess

Yh I'm waiting for the markscheme too.
My thoughts:

1: confusing question to start off with..... They shouldn't have put this as a first question... It wasn't too hard but legit made me almost crap myself when I first saw it. Awkward wording on second part to screw people up.

2.) probabaly easiest question on paper - even tho 6 marks for a lot of effort and usually energy questions are a little easier normally.

3.) if u knew what to do this was a very quick 6 marks. Except it wasn't easy to know what to do at all.....😡legit played around with different ideas until I came up with a solution.

4.) probabaly average difficulty for COM. harder been asked in past papers. Angle was tricky. I ran out of time for it.

5) Apart from rod being non uniform - this wasn't too bad. Atleast stuff like this was on in the textbook.

6) dumb cuz u had to be able to do the first 6 marks (and it wasn't easy to see what to do at all....😡) to even try and attempt the next 7 marks. (which were piece of cake if u got part a.)

7.) finding the speeds was easier than normal cuz they gave u the value of e.
Then it got trippy.

Overall maybe like 58 for an A? It wasn't really really bad but definetly a lot harder than standard.
Reply 55
Original post by Siddhart1998

Can you(/anyone) remember what the value of the impulse was in question 3? And was it u = (ci + 2cj), v = (2ci - cj), m = 0.6kg?
Original post by ombtom
Can you(/anyone) remember what the value of the impulse was in question 3? And was it u = (ci + 2cj), v = (2ci - cj), m = 0.6kg?

I think it was (i + 3j) or it might have been minus 3j

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DesignPredator
I wouldn't say 64 but 66-67 sounds very realistic.

No no I said it was 64 in June 2012 not that that's gonna be this year's grade boundary. Hopefully 66 *fingers crossed*. If it would be 65 i would die of happiness 😊
Reply 58
Original post by pineneedles
I think it was (i + 3j) or it might have been minus 3j

Are you sure the impulse was a vector? If so I'm very confused :biggrin:
Original post by ombtom

Wasn't it like 12root2? I might be getting it mixed up with a random past paper I did tho... But it deff was a magnutude with a root

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending