The Student Room Group

Physics P2 Unofficial Markscheme Edexcel.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by grace143
You could tell me the page number and which book you're referring to; I have the CGP guide and the official Edexcel textbook?

Attachment not found
Original post by haybe2k
ur right the metal doesnt have a charge
but it has atomss which have electrons and the negative electrons from the door handle are attracted to the positive charge of the girl
so electrons flow from the metal handle to the girl causing a spark

im pretty sure u get a mark for saying the metal handle is a conducting meterial.

I swear it doesn't matter what the charge on the girl is - metal is a conductor so the charge always flows to the metal. This is static charge remember, so just adding electrons to the girl wouldnt do anything. Plus why would the metal just give electrons to the girl - where is the science there? That would make the atoms in the metal become ions
I swear it doesn't matter what the charge on the girl is - metal is a conductor so the charge always flows to the metal. This is static charge remember, so just adding electrons to the girl wouldnt do anything. Plus why would the metal just give electrons to the girl - where is the science there? That would make the atoms in the metal become ions

Did you receive the attachment. The electrons are from the earth :smile:
Negative charge = electrons through metal material through to earth.
Original post by TSlayerr
Attachment not found

Ahh I see, thanks for sending. I was wondering why charge would flow from the door handle to the girl but no it flows up from the ground to the door handle and then to the girl, right??? Anyway sorry guys!
Ahh I see, thanks for sending. I was wondering why charge would flow from the door handle to the girl but no it flows up from the ground to the door handle and then to the girl, right??? Anyway sorry guys!

Dw. Its only gonna cost one mark.
If the girl is positively charge and she loses electrons, she is more positively charged. Eg. 8 protons and 8 electrons. When she is positively charged, there are more protons than electrons. So now about 8 protons and 6 electrons. She needs to gain electrons now to become neutrally charged. Gains 2 neutrons from earth so she is discharged. Back to 8 protons and 8 electrons.

8 protons=8+charge. 8 electrons=8-
8+ + 8- = 0
8+ + 6- = 2+
gains 2 electrons so
8+ + 8- = 0
neutral again

People are neutrally charged though. So she would have the right amount of electrons and protons. Then when walking on the nylon carpeting the electrons will transfer to the carpet. Leaving her positively charged.

Posted from TSR Mobile
She was originally positively charged from exchanging electrons from her to carpet. She is positively charged. When she touches the handle, the electrons from the earth/ground flows through the metal handle to the girl. She gains electrons to discharge her. The spark is not caused by electrons from the girl to handle but from the ground to handle to the girl.

That's what I thought, but the other user is saying electrons travelled from the ground to her which isn't true.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dw. Its only gonna cost one mark.

Thanks :redface: Annoyed at making that silly mistake though. I already know I lost so many marks on the first 6 marker! Anyway thanks for explaining & thank God I'll never have to do Physics again.
Original post by DamnDaniel2
People are neutrally charged though. So she would have the right amount of electrons and protons. Then when walking on the nylon carpeting the electrons will transfer to the carpet. Leaving her positively charged.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ignore what I said there. I know she's neutrally charged at the beginning. Friction between her and the carpet made the electrons from the girl transfer to the carpet, making the girl positively charged. When she touches a material made out of metal, the electric shock is from the electrons moving from the earth to the metal to the girl. She is now discharged.
Ignore what I said there. I know she's neutrally charged at the beginning. Friction between her and the carpet made the electrons from the girl transfer to the carpet, making the girl positively charged. When she touches a material made out of metal, the electric shock is from the electrons moving from the earth to the metal to the girl. She is now discharged.

Ahahaha okk that makes much more sense lol. Fortunately I got the marks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's what I thought, but the other user is saying electrons travelled from the ground to her which isn't true.

Posted from TSR Mobile

From ground, to metal then to her.
Ground is another way of saying earth if I'm not mistaken.
From ground, to metal then to her.
Ground is another way of saying earth if I'm not mistaken.

Yup hahaha thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yup hahaha thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lots of people have made that mistake
Good job on getting those marks :smile:
Lots of people have made that mistake
Good job on getting those marks :smile:

Haha thank you :smile: I think I got 56/60? Wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also, for question 2d, I think this answer is missing out a couple of important things - but I can't remember how many marks it was worth so might not be important. Anyway I'll put my "improved" (IMO) answer below just in case anyone cares ahah

Fusion works best at high temperatures because this is needed to overcome the electrostatic repulsion of the (positive) nuclei. As the temperature increases, the nuclei move around faster because they have more energy. This increases the number of collisions of nuclei, therefore increasing the rate of the nuclear reaction. This means there are more fusion reactions per second.
'

I will add it. Thank you! :smile:
Haha thank you :smile: I think I got 56/60? Wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

55 ish
How many mark was the fusion question

Posted from TSR Mobile
In Question 1c, you said the charge flows from the metal to the girl. I'm 99% sure you are mistaken: as I said in a previous post, the charge flows from the girl to the metal - because metals conduct charge. Also the metal door handle (imagine your metal door handle in your house right now) does not have any charge. Where would it have got this random charge from? So the static charge that has built up on the girl then flows to the metal, discharging the girl.

Nope, sorry but the girl was said to have a positive charge. Positive charge does not move, therefore to neutralise this charge or difference in potential, electrons flow from the metal door to the girl via her hand. This is because the metal is a good conductor and as for where would it get the electrons well metals are literally surrounded by delocalised electrons and theres an attractive force between the positively charged hand and the electrons so the electrons will most definetly flow from the door to the hand :P

And you would be right.
The atoms in the metals ARE postively charged ions surrounded by a sea of delocalised electrons, and it does matter what the charge is, in this case electrons flow from the doors to the girl.
Original post by legend.786
I sed with the new clothes their is less drag so their can be more thrust and it takes long to acheive terminal velocity so u can accelarate more therefore your speed will increase so it will be quicker and new clothes decrease air resistance so u are not held back by air resistance so their are less force trying to push u back so it will speed u up

I sed it in more of a fancy way so how many marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

terminal velocity only applies to falling bodies so i dont think you would get any marks for that statement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending