The Student Room Group

Edexcel Core 3 - 21st June 2016 AM

Scroll to see replies

right lads, what weird things could be coming up.
Any idea which topic the harder questions will be tested on?
Original post by QueenOfNachos

I think they might fiddle around with the logs and exponentials a bit. Maybe also some proof questions?

I'm hoping that it's nothing like june 2013 and that the questions are doable in the time that's given.

No idea why my reply is on here twice..
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AMarques
Hey,

Here's a nice little identity similar to the arcsin(x) + arccos(x) relation. See if you can prove it :biggrin:. You can find it attached since tsr latex seems to be failing me...

I think I got it but I'm not sure. I may have made a mistake somewhere and I was confusing myself half the time :s-smilie:
(edited 7 years ago)
Just did June 2014 IAL and boy did I suck at it, it was really hard and you needed 81% for an A*,

Do some recent IAL papers combine C3 and C4 in questions? Eg the June 2014 C34 paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

Differentiation and trig
Original post by Pyslocke
I think I got it but I'm not sure. I may have made a mistake somewhere and I was confusing myself half the time :s-smilie:

Hey,

What you did was great, well done. Here was my take for the negative x, and also an alternative approach. It's basically the same. I doubt this question will come up but interesting none the less. If there's an issue with what I posted tell me! You can find it attached.
Original post by AMarques
Hey,

What you did was great, well done. Here was my take for the negative x, and also an alternative approach. It's basically the same. I doubt this question will come up but interesting none the less. If there's an issue with what I posted tell me! You can find it attached.

Very nice, thanks a lot! This seems like a much cleaner method. And yeah, if a question like this came up I think there would be an uproar xD. I would probably collapse under the pressure.
Original post by Pyslocke
Very nice, thanks a lot! This seems like a much cleaner method. And yeah, if a question like this came up I think there would be an uproar xD. I would probably collapse under the pressure.

I would agree with you there, but still a gem of a question. Good luck with the rest of your exams! If you need any help feel free to ask.
Sketch

y = x^2 + 5|x| - 3
y = x^2 + |5x - 3|

showing all intersections
Original post by Jold
Hey, I used to do this all the time. All you have to remember is rather than divide just factorise instead as if you divide by a trig function you'll be losing some solutions

Would i get all the sultions if i did this:
tan x cos 2x = 2 cos 2x
tan x cos 2x - 2 cos 2x = 0
cos 2x ( tan x - 2 ) = 0

cos 2x = 0

tan x = 2

did i do it right or did i mess up somewhere
Original post by metrize
tan x cos 2x = 2 cos 2x
cos 2x ( tan x - 2 ) = 0

cos 2x = 0

tan x = 2

Its right, but you're not finished. You have to find the values of x...
Original post by Economistician
Its right, but you're not finished. You have to find the values of x...

yeah thats the easy part, just wanted to make sure my intermediary steps were ok
Reply 434
Original post by metrize
tan x cos 2x = 2 cos 2x
cos 2x ( tan x - 2 ) = 0

cos 2x = 0

tan x = 2

Perfect!
Original post by metrize
yeah thats the easy part, just wanted to make sure my intermediary steps were ok

Oh, haha. My bad, I didn't see the part where you wrote 'would i get all the solutions if i did this'
Original post by metrize
tan x cos 2x = 2 cos 2x
cos 2x ( tan x - 2 ) = 0

cos 2x = 0

tan x = 2

Yeh thats perfect what I was doing was dividing by cos2x so it disappeared haha
Original post by linaxq
Has anyone tried the very hard IYGB C3 PAPERS or the AEA papers?

I tried a AEA paper after doing all of the normal edexcel papers which were pretty easy and got a Merit on the AEA on my first attempt. Not sure though how much of these papers are difficult questions that could come up or stuff that is not on the spec.
Could integrate cosec^3x come up in Core 4?
Original post by pineneedles

is there an MS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending