The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Screenshot 2016-06-19 at 18.42.18.png
sorry guys this is what I meant lol
Original post by metrize
Oh so are both correct, but you just get a different constant c?

Yep, my mistake.
@smackitintheair
IMG_0317[1].jpg
Attachment not found

that's how you do part 1, hopefully you can do the rest yourself :smile:
anyone knows which are the hardest c4 papers? is it better to do solomon and elmwood rather than the normal past papers? also is it worth it doing the review exercises?

Original post by alvosm
anyone knows which are the hardest c4 papers? is it better to do solomon and elmwood rather than the normal past papers? also is it worth it doing the review exercises?

No, but if you check old grade boundaries, you can find them. It is better to do Edexcel papers, for sure. If you run out, madasmaths has probably the best non-edexcel practice papers
Original post by metrize
Oh so are both correct, but you just get a different constant c?

Yes, that's the case. It seems confusing at first but now i get why it makes sense
How do you do part b?
Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 20.18.57.png
Original post by lordoftheties
How do you do part b?
Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 20.18.57.png

In general for range questions you look at any turning points, and at endpoints (or behaviour at infinity/minus infinity if there isn't an endpoint).
If I come out of C3+C4 with 95% ums each and get my A* ---> :woohoo:
Then I know my hard work paid off. :h: :tee:

I hope C4 vector question is simple + nothing nasty on the trig functions/stupid hippy "find range" questions
come up.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
If I come out of C3+C4 with 95% ums each and get my A* ---> :woohoo:
Then I know my hard work paid off. :h:: :tee:

I hope C4 vector question is simple + nothing nasty on the trig functions/stupid hippy "find range" questions
come up.

Last year's vectors were straightforward and so were the year before so we'll probably get some difficult vectors.

Also what's so difficult about range questions :tongue:
Original post by yesyesyesno
Last year's vectors were straightforward and so were the year before so we'll probably get some difficult vectors.

Also what's so difficult about range questions :tongue:

I know... just hope I draw a clear diagram & things work out well. The range questions are the only place I drop marks in C3 and its been the case for god knows how many past papers I've done. #oldhabitsdiehard :argh:
The population in thousands, P, of a town at time t years after 1st January 1980 is modelled by the formula
P = 30 + 50e^0.002t

- use this model to estimate the year in which the population first exceeds 84 000

The mark scheme doesn't seem to agree with my answer can I double check with someone
Original post by RetroSpectro
The population in thousands, P, of a town at time t years after 1st January 1980 is modelled by the formula
P = 30 + 50e^0.002t

- use this model to estimate the year in which the population first exceeds 84 000

The mark scheme doesn't seem to agree with my answer can I double check with someone

Original post by Craig1998

Thats not what i got, and neither is that in the mark scheme

Oml I'm so stupid :biggrin:

NVM just seen it's 0.002

Original post by Craig1998

I think you're going wrong somewhere, thats not it either :K:
P = 30 + 50e^0.002t

I've done it really quickly in scribbles but is it 2019? *
(edited 7 years ago)
I think you're going wrong somewhere, thats not it either :K:

30+50e^0.002t> 84
50e^0.002t>54
e^0.002t>27/25
t/500>ln1.08
t>500ln1.08
t>38.4

Therefore t = 39
Therefore year = 1980+39
= 2019.

Oh god I'm failing c4. :frown:
for that question sub in your t values guys so you can see if the population is what the question asks (84)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending