The Student Room Group

Edexcel Core 3 - 21st June 2016 AM

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1620
Could u send to me too please
Original post by us3r12345us3r
if G(x)= arcsin(x) then G(x+1)= arcsin(x) +1 not arcsin(x+1) so 3g(x+1) +pi = 3arcsin(x) +3 +pi

then continue to solve

Sorry, that's wrong
If you guys gwt the paper hide thr barcode they might be able to track which paper it is and what school its from
What was the question exactly?
How many marks do 1b , 2b and 6b worth?
For 1b I wrote a=6 and a=-5 but forgot to reject the answer a=-5
For 2b I misread and put -rt5<x<rt5 but managed to work out rt5?

Posted from TSR Mobile
if G(x)= arcsin(x) then G(x+1)= arcsin(x) +1 not arcsin(x+1) so 3g(x+1) +pi = 3arcsin(x) +3 +pi

then continue to solve

I'm pretty sure it is arcsin(x+1)
UMS estimates for 67/68?
Original post by TSRPAV
everything was correct expect my retard brain that say it was 2x-4/(x-2)^2 and decided to plus for some reason

Don't worry mate, I got the gradient function right but when I subbed in 3 I wrote (3-1)^2 instead of (3-2)^2. We should only lose 1 or two marks. Was it out of 5?
Original post by blahblah21
Q1a, x=6, x=-5
b. a=6
2a. dy/dx = (20-4x^2)/(x^2+5)^2
b. x>rt(5) x<-rt(5)
3a. rt(5)cos(theta +26.57)
b. theta = 33.0, 273.9
c. theta = 86.1
4a. y=21, x=ln(2.5)
y=25 (k=25)
b. Proof
c. x1= 1.4368
x2= 1.4373
d. Show the change in sign. (gradient function)
5i. Turning points: 0.9463
ii. 0.5cosec(4y)
6a. A=3 B=4
b. x+2y-35=0 (or equivalent)
7a. arcsin(x) graph
b. x= -(2+rt(3))/2
8a. Proof
b. x= 0.294, -1.277, 1.865 and 1 more I think
9a. 6.740
b. Proof
c. T = 5ln(2+(2/e))

How many marks was 3c I entirely didn't see that question
Not an easy exam, definitely. I had moments of sheer panic (cough question 6) when stuff didn't work.

Messed up on: 2b (wrong limits, probably 1 mark lost), 6b (thought the gradient of tangent was -1/2 so I got the normal gradient as 2, this was probably from using the messier fraction, guessing 2 marks lost, 1 for accuracy of gradient and 1 for accuracy of final answer), 9c (just didn't work, plain and simple. If my method was wrong I reckon 3 marks, otherwise probably 1 or 2 marks if it was just doing some maths :biggrin:).

Accounting for any other possible mistakes (I'm not sure with some of the answers in the unofficial mark scheme like 5i), I've probably got around 68/69 out of 75.

Any idea where this would lie with UMS, I need high 90s so C4 doesn't remove my A*.
Original post by IYGB
A bit higher usually

Yes usually 66-67 but taken a make off because people seem to have really hated it. The more people have found it tough the more affected the standard deviation and mean is so slight changes to boundaries
On the 2cot2x + tanx = cotx question in part b. My polynomial was y2 - 3y - 1 = 0. I did complete the square and I put
(y + 3/2)2 - 13/4 = 0. Which is wrong, should be -3/2. I found solutions but they are wrong. How many marks will I lose out of the 6?
Original post by DomWoodcock
Few questions:

5ai - how many marks would one get for getting the turning point at 0.1608 rather than 0.9643,

6b how many marks would i get for finding the equation of normal for the simplified equation. I differentiated y= x^2 + 3 + (4x+12)/(x-2) and did the normal steps, I know the divison was wrong as forgot (x+3) on denominater. (Since part B was solely dependent on part A surely there would be marks for method)

8b I thought it was within the range -pi/2 and +pi/2 so only had 2 solutions within the limits, how many marks would i get/lose for this?

thanks

i got two solutions, -pi/2 to pi/2 as well. pretty sure you're right

then continue to solve

na you're wrong, it is 3arcsin(x+1)+pi =0
For the part after the cot proof did you get tan 2x = 2/3 or somrthing like that
Original post by SomeDancinPanda
How many marks for:

1) The inequality question (answers of sqrt5 and -sqrt5)
2) The question where you had to choose two values and show the change in sign
3) The question where you had to find the minimum value (answer of 80-something)

Would appreciate it if someone could tell me how many marks each of these were worth :smile:

Tough paper in comparison to others, I predict 64 for an a*

no chance of 64 for an a*, its never been that low
Original post by iBall
UMS estimates for 67/68?

92UMS?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4178403

Mark scheme, not by me, although I do agree with all the answers.
Does anyone have an idea of what the grade boundary for an A* will be?
Original post by jamessmith15
no chance of 64 for an a*, its never been that low

lol it's been a fair bit lower

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending