The Student Room Group

Edexcel Core 3 - 21st June 2016 AM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by khaleesi98
Because the grade boundaries won't have been decided yet, as they're based on how well people perform. And if we've all done really badly then they'll be a lot lower than normal anyway.

This idea that maths exams are 'unfair' is really irritating me tbh. I've f-ed up multiple exams this year, so I get that it's frustrating, but it we can't blame Edexcel for the fact that we can't do every single question. Most people can't, that's kinda the point.

Yeah but for were to do a petition we won't necessarily be attacking edexcel would we? We would only be putting our opinion forward
Original post by laws8oy
Cheers bud, looks like an A* is still more than possible for me as long as i do slightly better on C4!

Actually, I don't think this is the case. I think you need 90 on both C3 and C4 for the A*, not an average.
Original post by BMWM3
Aha me too. did u guys use quadratic formula to get it?

Nah, I did completing the square.
Original post by Elm Tree
Retrospectively, It wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be. That being said, I did make quite a few silly errors..

OMGGG, look who it is!

How have you been man? Haven't spoken to you since the year 11/12 thread :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone know how many marks I will lose for 8b if I did the method correctly but put a + instead of a minus in a step?
Original post by Fas
Actually, I don't think this is the case. I think you need 90 on both C3 and C4 for the A*, not an average.

No its an average across the two
Reply 1966
Original post by Ladbants
What do you lads think you got?

Missed out a solution for one of the trig questions (there were 4, I got 3) -1

Dodgily shaped arcsin graph but I got values right -1 (the negative region for y started to decline in gradient, when it's exponential-ish, but hey that one threw me off guard, since I don't think they've ever asked you to sketch an arc graph before)

For that equation of normal question I put 1/2 as gradient not -0.5, so got my c as 16.5, and not 17.5 (-1 or -2, but probably -2, since gradient would be A1 cao- any thoughts on that one?)

May or may not have lost a mark for the modulus graph where y was 0, as I put 0.5ln(6.25) for the value of x, when that could be simplified to ln(2.5). So possibly another -1

So I probably got 70-71, depending if they're cruel enough to deduct a mark for that last one. In a really unlikely scenario 72.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fas

You need to average 90 over C3 and C4, and score at least 480/600 overall.
Original post by Princepieman
OMGGG, look who it is!

How have you been man? Haven't spoken to you since the year 11/12 thread :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lool it has been quite a while :biggrin:. So much has happened and changed in such a short space of time lol.. Generally i've been good hbu?

Back then you had like 80 posts now you're on the TSR Support team lol! Do you still see anyone else around from the thread?
Original post by usycool1
You need to average 90 over C3 and C4, and score at least 480/600 overall.

Fair enough. It's been a couple of years since I did A-Levels haha.
Original post by Ecomaths
Yeah but for were to do a petition we won't necessarily be attacking edexcel would we? We would only be putting our opinion forward

Sadly, it'd be a waste of time. I'd strongly suggest just trying to concentrate on C4 for now instead - I know how frustrating it is (I was in the batch that did the 'infamous' June 2013 paper or whenever it was) but if it was hard, grade boundaries will be lowered accordingly.

Good luck.
Reply 1971
How many marks would I lose for mirroring the arcsin X graph in the y axis but put the coordinates in correctly and went through the origin?
Original post by Fas
Fair enough. It's been a couple of years since I did A-Levels haha.

No worries :tongue:
How many marks will I lose for question two if I got +-rt5 but messed up the range and wrote -rt5<x<rt5 instead?

And for question 6b for messing up the differentiation part but got the methods right for finding the gradient and stuff?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quoting directly from the specification.
To be awarded an A* students will need toachieve an A on the full GCE Advanced level qualification and an A*aggregate of the A2 units.

Eg, if you did C1, C2,C3,C4,M1,S1 you need 80% from C1,2 and 80% from M1,S1 with an average of 90% in C3 and C4.

Hope this clears things up. (It applies to all Edexcel maths ie, Edexcel Maths, Further maths and the other two)
Original post by ryanroks1
Think I've got 71, hoping I've got the A*!

u look fresh out the whom what u doing a levels for
Does anyone have the paper? If not, can someone tell me, if you remember, whether they gave you the range for the "sketch arcsinx" question? As they gave the domain but I can't remember whether they gave the range
Is it just me that felt really confident going into the exam but feels like they've completely messed up?
Original post by Elm Tree
Lool it has been quite a while :biggrin:. So much has happened and changed in such a short space of time lol.. Generally i've been good hbu?

Back then you had like 80 posts now you're on the TSR Support team lol! Do you still see anyone else around from the thread?

Ikr?? Been bloody ages! Awesome to hear dude, what are you up to these days?

Yeah been pretty decent, had a rough scottish results day last year due to complications with coursework etc, so I'm sitting a levels in a year to 'resit'-ish.

AHAHA, yeah, I barely posted :tongue:. I talk to a few of the folks who are at uni now like Rachel, Bude, L'Evil, The Financier etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MarocMan
Does anyone have the paper? If not, can someone tell me, if you remember, whether they gave you the range for the "sketch arcsinx" question? As they gave the domain but I can't remember whether they gave the range

-pi/2<=y<=pi/2

This isn't just for this question, the graph must always have that range and domain of -1<=x<=1 otherwise it wouldn't be an inverse function to the sin curve

Edit: 2000th post, where's my prize?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending