The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by candol
oops should be a negative will change other post

My point was that it integrates to (2/3)sin^3
Can someone help me with my understanding of integrating to get area? So on the left example if you integrate all together the are under the graph has a negative sign and the area above a positive sign so they cancel to get zero.

So why on the question on the right when I integrate the curve on the right side of the y axis do I obtain the area of the upper right quadrant? Surely the area above should cancel with the area below resulting in zero?

I am so confused
Original post by Euclidean
Nope. TM's solution is correct:

V=π0π8(tan(2x)1)2dx\displaystyle V = \pi \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{8}}(\tan(2x)-1)^2 \mathrm{d}x

V=π0π812tan(2x)+tan2(2x)dx[br]\displaystyle V = \pi \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{8}}1 - 2\tan(2x) + \tan^2(2x) \mathrm{d}x[br]

V=π0π8sec2(2x)2tan(2x)dx\displaystyle V = \pi \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{8}}\sec^2(2x) - 2\tan(2x) \mathrm{d}x

V=π[12tan(2x)lnsec(2x)]0π8\displaystyle V = \pi \left[\frac{1}{2}\tan(2x) - \ln|\sec(2x)|\right]_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{8}}

V=π[12ln2]\displaystyle V = \pi \left[\frac{1}{2} - \ln|\sqrt{2}|\right]

V=π2[1ln(2)]\displaystyle V =\frac{\pi}{2} \left[1 - \ln(2)\right]

I didn't read 'about y=1' - my mistake!
Original post by NamelessPersona
My point was that it integrates to (2/3)sin^3

yep I know, have changed all posts
(1tan(2x))=y(1-\tan(2x)) = y works for a flip

But y2=(1tan(2x))2(2sec2(2x))y^2 = (1-\tan(2x))^2 \neq (2-\sec^2(2x))

y2=(1tan(2x))2=12tan(2x)+tan2(2x)y^2 = (1-\tan(2x))^2 = 1 - 2\tan(2x) + \tan^2(2x)

Thanks for the response.
I used:

[br]V=πab(y12y22)dx[br][br]V = \pi\int_a^b{(y_1^2-y_2^2)}dx [br]

For the volume of revolution between two curves or is formula not valid in this case?
I also tried to verify by taking way the said integral from the volume of a cylinder and still ended up with the same answer.
Original post by Music With Rocks
Can someone help me with my understanding of integrating to get area? So on the left example if you integrate all together the are under the graph has a negative sign and the area above a positive sign so they cancel to get zero.

So why on the question on the right when I integrate the curve on the right side of the y axis do I obtain the area of the upper right quadrant? Surely the area above should cancel with the area below resulting in zero?

I am so confused

Not really sure what you're asking? Do you mean, for example, an odd function will cancel if you integrate from a -a to a a ? I don't really get what you're saying in your second paragraph?

Integration gives the net signed area! So any function with y<0 y< 0 will give a negative area and a positive one if y>0 y>0 , so you need to evaluate these separately and apply modulus where necessary!
Original post by tochicool
Thanks for the response.
I used:
[br]V=πab(y12y22)dx[br][br]V = \pi\int_a^b{(y_1^2-y_2^2)}dx [br]
For the volume of revolution between two curves or is formula not valid in this case?
I also tried to verify by taking way the said integral from the volume of a cylinder and still ended up with the same answer.

V=πab(y12y22)dx \displaystyle V = \pi\int_a^b{(y_1^2-y_2^2)}dx

This integral should work. I'd always do it separately though.
Original post by psychemma
Oh yeah hahaha I can't believe I forgot that, thanks for your help!

No worries :smile:
Original post by tochicool
Don't normally post here but can someone have a look at C4 IYGB Paper U question 8. I seem to be getting a different answer to the mark scheme:

Unparseable latex formula:

[br]Volume = \pi\int_0^{\pi/8} (1^2-tan^22x)dx\\[br]= \pi\int_0^{\pi/8} (2-sec^22x)dx \\[br]= \pi\left[ 2x-\frac{1}{2}tan(2x) \right]_0^{\pi/8}dx\\[br]= \dfrac{\pi}{4} (\pi-2) units^3[br]

The mark-scheme says:
[br]=12π(12)units3[br][br]= \dfrac{1}{2}\pi(1-\sqrt{2})units^3[br]

The shaded area isn't below the x, I think you have to do volume of rev's about the y axis, not sure how you actually do that though
V=πab(y12y22)dx \displaystyle V = \pi\int_a^b{(y_1^2-y_2^2)}dx

This integral should work. I'd always do it separately though.

That won't work here as it's about a different axis of rotation!
Original post by ccharlie97
Not really sure what you're asking? Do you mean, for example, an odd function will cancel if you integrate from a -a to a a ? I don't really get what you're saying in your second paragraph?

Integration gives the net signed area! So any function with y<0 y< 0 will give a negative area and a positive one if y>0 y>0 , so you need to evaluate these separately and apply modulus where necessary!

Sorry so the area on the left question under the graph is -A and the area above the graph is A. So when you integrate together you get zero

The are on the left question the area under the graph is -B and above the graph is B so when you integrate why do you obtain the correct answer and not 0? As I integrated and got a non zero value which was correct

Does that help? :s-smilie:
Original post by k.russell
The shaded area isn't below the x, I think you have to do volume of rev's about the y axis, not sure how you actually do that though

We have, for a volume of revolution about the xx-axis:

V=πy2dx V = \pi \int y^2 \, \mathrm d x

But for a volume of revolution about the yy- we have:

V=πx2dy V = \pi \int x^2 \, \mathrm d y

But that wasn't the question on the exam paper :smile:
Original post by Questioner1234
Please can someone explain question 4 of jan 2009???? Thanks in advance

Well first thing about vectors questions is draw a diagram!

We know that orthogonal/perpendicular vectors satisfy a.b=0 \mathbf{a}.\mathbf{b} = 0 , so that will help finding q q

Intersection is easy, you just equate the two lines - solve two of the simultaneous equations, and as we're told they intersect you just plug the solved values of λ,μ \lambda,\mu into the 3rd equation.

Clearly you just then plug either λ \lambda or μ \mu into one of the equations to get the point of intersection!

For the last part, draw a diagram and see what you can see - I don't want to spoil that part because you have to think!
Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 14.41.06.png
Attachment not found

can someone explain how your meant to know to put an a in front as didnt think you had to
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Music With Rocks
Sorry so the area on the left question under the graph is -A and the area above the graph is A. So when you integrate together you get zero

The are on the left question the area under the graph is -B and above the graph is B so when you integrate why do you obtain the correct answer and not 0? As I integrated and got a non zero value which was correct

Does that help? :s-smilie:

Not really - is it to do with volume of revolution? Because that has y2 y^2 as the integrand so it wouldn't matter whether the function lied below or above the curve!

What is this left/right question you refer to?
Original post by Supermanxxxxxx
Attachment not found

can someone explain how your meant to know to put an a in front as didnt think you had to

Because it's a top heavy fraction (the highest power of x in the numerator is greater than or equal to the highest power of x in the denominator).
Original post by k.russell

If it is about the y-axis, then instead of pie x the integral of y^2 , its pie x the integral of x^2.
Do we have to know how to integrate a^x like we do for differentiating? Thanks!
Original post by Supermanxxxxxx
Attachment not found

The partial fraction is improper. This means that the power of the xs on the top is greater than or equal to the power of x on the bottom (x^2 top and bottom). In order to get the A, you need to use long division. Then do partial fractions on the remainder.
Original post by Questioner1234
Please can someone explain question 4 of jan 2009???? Thanks in advance

part a) perpendicular means a.b=0 so a1b1+a2b2+a3b3 = 0 etc
partb) do simultaneous eqns, common type of question
part c) put your value of lambda or mu into relevant eqn
part d) A and B are on either side of midpoint. Use that info to find B

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending