The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Don Pedro K.
Oh crap yeah hahaha sorry.

But the integral of 2/x^2 does equal -2/x right? (just checking)

+ c :wink:
Original post by LilacFlorence
PPQ.png

So how would you do part C of this question?

You use the fact that a.b = 0 since there is a perpendicular angle involved. AB = a and BC = b.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
+ c :wink:

Course how I could I forget haha xD
Original post by raman_17
and your averages are?? mines are 75-90% :smile:

Same :smile:
Original post by Serine Soul
I'm actually practising GCSE trig...

Never know with them vectors

Sounds like fun...
Could we be asked to find shortest distance between two lines I thought this was fp3?
Does anyone have a link to this year's C34 paper without solutions?

Original post by Rkai01
Could we be asked to find shortest distance between two lines I thought this was fp3?

I don't think it's on the spec
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rkai01

Certainly I recall the shortest distance between skew lines is in fp3. I don't think you can be asked that...might wanna check the spec. But when it comes to parallel lines, you want to find a distance along a line that is perpendicular to both and intersects both..probably can use dot product and simultaneous equations to find such a line (of course, there will be many, but you can just fix one or two things until you are rid of all arbitrary variables) and then just find the distance between the points of intersection along that line. Or you may be given this in a scenario where you can do it quickly with trig
Original post by maruchan
Same :smile:

:wink:
When you're so tired that you can no longer understand why 1/4 x 1/4 doesn't equal 1/8.... :bawling:

In question 7c why cant I do vector CB instead of CB it gives me mu = 5 not -5Which gives wrong point when subed.https://5c59854d0ccd29d489c9e5e689a8bbadf49aa0f0.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYREhxMHhfam1IQm8/for-Edexcel/Solomon%20J%20QP%20-%20C4%20Edexcel.pdf
Original post by minjinoor
which paper is that? i've been looking for ages for that question

June 2014
Certainly I recall the shortest distance between skew lines is in fp3. I don't think you can be asked that...might wanna check the spec. But when it comes to parallel lines, you want to find a distance along a line that is perpendicular to both and intersects both..probably can use dot product and simultaneous equations to find such a line (of course, there will be many, but you can just fix one or two things until you are rid of all arbitrary variables) and then just find the distance between the points of intersection along that line. Or you may be given this in a scenario where you can do it quickly with trig

I would just use cross product for parralel lines or for any closest points of two lines tbh, will I still get marks for that method?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NeverLucky
You'll never be asked to integrate something like that for C4, that would integrate into arctan(...) or artanh(...) or something, can't really remember off the top of my head but that's only on the FP3 spec.

Oh phew okay thank you very much!!
Original post by Rkai01
I would just use cross product for parralel lines tbh, will I still get marks for that method?

Oh yeah lol, was thinking with my C4 hat on.. hmm probably, but you better make sure the final answer is right
does lambda or muu (the signs in vectors) have to be an INTEGER????
Oh yeah lol, was thinking with my C4 hat on.. hmm probably, but you better make sure the final answer is right

How would I know if it is right or not if I only knew the distance tho?
When Integrating with parametric equations and you have to change the limits, if the bigger limit becomes the smaller limit and visa vera do you switch the limits round or not?
Original post by M&F
In question 7c why cant I do vector CB instead of CB it gives me mu = 5 not -5Which gives wrong point when subed.https://5c59854d0ccd29d489c9e5e689a8bbadf49aa0f0.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYREhxMHhfam1IQm8/for-Edexcel/Solomon%20J%20QP%20-%20C4%20Edexcel.pdf

well your parameter may be -5 but your direction vector is also in the opposite direction so it ought to cancel out to 5 surely.
guys what do you do when dy/dx is infinite. I remember seeing a question like that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending