The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

And anyone who voted Leave, **** off, you should be made to pick up the pieces.

So, in other words, **** you, democracy?

Democracy has tyranny of the majority as its core principle, and since the majority of people are idiots, you can't realistically expect good decisions. But, in a democratic state, everyone has to pay for the stupidity of the rest, and you are not allowed to pick and choose which democratic referendums and elections actually affect you or not. Either you have a problem with democracy, or with the stupidity of the population
(edited 7 years ago)
Well according to the Washington Post, the people of Britain have been frantically googling what the EU actually is. So. Nice move Britain.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/06/24/the-british-are-frantically-googling-what-the-eu-is-hours-after-voting-to-leave-it/
Original post by Kutta
Proud of London, we the real MVP :h:

Seriously though I agree with OP and am worried about my future 10-15 years down the line, we were only just recovering from 2008 crisis and now this.

Imagine as part of the negotiations we decide enter the single market and we retain free movement of goods and workers

Thats whats probably going to happen though.
Original post by Mathemagicien
So, in other words, **** you, democracy?

Democracy has tyranny of the majority as its core principle, and since the majority of people are idiots, you can't realistically expect good decisions. But, in a democratic state, everyone has to pay for the stupidity of the rest, and you are not allowed to pick and choose which democratic referendums and elections actually affect you or not. Either you have a problem with democracy, or with the stupidity of the population

What do you honestly think the answer is to that question?
Original post by captainslow69
One of my biggest fears about Brexit is that I personally believe that any future conservative government will slowly begin to diminish the rights we take for granted in the UK that are protected by the EU, particularly workers rights. Things such as equal pay, reducing gender inequality, safety in the workplace and working conditions, the use of sustainable materials/methods in businesses and the hiring of appropriately qualified persons for certain skilled jobs, funding for scientific research, how much paid leave we get and so on. The list is endless and I think soon businesses will begin to slowly ignore these regulations for greater profits and the conservatives will do nothing while allowing them to get away with 3% tax or less. Oh boy have I never wanted to be more wrong about anything in my life.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
I'm still very excited for my future. :biggrin: There's light at the end of the tunnel OP. This isn't the worst thing ever. We're extremely lucky to live in a country like the UK even if we're out of the EU.
Original post by Twinpeaks
What do you honestly think the answer is to that question?

Well, hopefully neither.

If you have a problem with democracy, you are evil

If you have a problem with stupid people, well, there's nothing you can do about that, without something like eugenics, and if you are in favour of that, you are evil
Both I and partner couldn't sleep last night.
Awake and talking with despair at 3:30 a.m.

I have never nearly hated so many people....

People who have enjoyed forty years of cheap holidays, cheap wine and stability denying it to an entire generation...

And the massive cost of rewriting all our laws and re-organising everything... lost money... all so unnecessary...
Well, hopefully neither.

If you have a problem with democracy, you are evil

If you have a problem with stupid people, well, there's nothing you can do about that, without something like eugenics, and if you are in favour of that, you are evil

Most ridiculous post I've come across in a long while.

People have a right to be frustrated when the ignorant in our country (who are unfortunately a majority) actively chose to damage our economy, reverse social, economic and cultural progression, inhibit scientific achievement, lose jobs along with a multitude of workers rights, and the list goes on.

If you have a problem with freedom of expression especially when it's concerning something that directly effects your well being, then you are "evil".
Original post by dancing sloth
Both I and partner couldn't sleep last night.
Awake and talking with despair at 3:30 a.m.

I have never nearly hated so many people....

People who have enjoyed forty years of cheap holidays, cheap wine and stability denying it to an entire generation...

And the massive cost of rewriting all our laws and re-organising everything... lost money... all so unnecessary...

I really feel as if a lot of those who voted leave are starting to panic. All they thought when they ticked the box was immigration. They were so clueless to not realise the effect it will have on so many aspects of their own lives. But that's due to the campaign of the Daily Mail and the leave group. They knew the only way they could succeed was by scare mongering the ignorant and feeding them rediculous promises that anyone with an ounce of sense would know not to be true.
Original post by Ladymusiclover
I'm still very excited for my future. :biggrin: There's light at the end of the tunnel OP. This isn't the worst thing ever. We're extremely lucky to live in a country like the UK even if we're out of the EU.

What's your career goals? If you want a career in science I wouldn't be excited :frown:

I sincerely hope so. I just hope our country gets their **** together and pulls this off, against all odds. If we had a strong labour government next I'll feel better.
Most ridiculous post I've come across in a long while.

People have a right to be frustrated when the ignorant in our country (who are unfortunately a majority) actively chose to damage our economy, reverse social, economic and cultural progression, inhibit scientific achievement, lose jobs along with a multitude of workers rights, and the list goes on.

If you have a problem with freedom of expression especially when it's concerning something that directly effects your well being, then you are "evil".

But that is democracy - and democracy is what millions of people have lost their lives to fight for. Millions have also lost their lives to fight against eugenics
What's your career goals? If you want a career in science I wouldn't be excited :frown:

I sincerely hope so. I just hope our country gets their **** together and pulls this off, against all odds. If we had a strong labour government next I'll feel better.

My true end goal is medicine/ to be a doctor but I'm doing it the long way through getting one degree and then transferring to medicine. Labour is so divided right now. I have no words for Corbyn at the moment.
Original post by Cluster1
Tbf the economic implications are being exaggerated hugely. The £ has dropped due to the ambiguity surrounding the situation, which even if it doesn't bounce back will improve exports due to favourable exchange rates. Also the FTSE100 actually fell the least out of the top 5 European markets which if anything shows just how much Europe needs us. Obama also retracted his statement about us being 'at the back of the line' in terms of trade deal negotiations and said relations would remain close-knit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Considering your claims, it's weird how on the radio this morning the newscaster stated that President Obama "re-interated" his previous statement that the UK would be at the back of the queue for any trade deal.

All our biggest companies and banks have gone into crisis talks and I would not be surprised if some of them left, particularly in banking where major financial centres already exist in Frankfurt and Amsterdam and they could make a move there to be in the single market without having to (as the UK will almost certainly now have to do) pay tariffs on everything traded with the single market.

Most of the UK's science and research funding was from the EU, take a look at how important our research, engineering and Universities are to the economy - binned that one. The UK government has sod all money to replace these streams, we're in an economic recession newly placed on top of our old economic recession, living in an age of austerity with even greater austerity now on the horizon. Actual UK funded science has almost completely dried up since the Tories came into power.

The medium to long term economic outlook does not look good on the ground. We've made our country less investable, less stable and removed important funding streams to some of our biggest industries. In two years time when the UK has lost all of its EU benefits, I honestly can't see any evidence to show how we're going to make these things up. In which case the UK will be, de facto, a poorer place both financially and intellectually for it.

Self-inflicted wounds x____x
(edited 7 years ago)
But that is democracy - and democracy is what millions of people have lost their lives to fight for. Millions have also lost their lives to fight against eugenics

I don't really get your point. Because it's the result of a democracy those who voted for the alternate position aren't allowed to express fear and disappointment at the outcome?

That makes no sense whatsoever, and is completely detracting from my thread.
Original post by seaholme
Considering your claims, it's weird how on the radio this morning the newscaster stated that President Obama "re-interated" his previous statement that the UK would be at the back of the queue for any trade deal.

All our biggest companies and banks have gone into crisis talks and I would not be surprised if some of them left, particularly in banking where major financial centres already exist in Frankfurt and Amsterdam and they could make a move there to be in the single market without having to (as the UK will almost certainly now have to do) pay tariffs on everything traded with the single market.

Most of the UK's science and research funding was from the EU, take a look at how important our research, engineering and Universities are to the economy - binned that one. The UK government has sod all money to replace these streams, we're in an economic recession newly placed on top of our old economic recession, living in an age of austerity with even greater austerity now on the horizon.

The medium to long term economic outlook does not look good on the ground. We've made our country less investable, less stable and removed important funding streams to some of our biggest industries. In two years time when the UK has lost all of its EU benefits, I honestly can't see any evidence to show how we're going to make these things up. In which case the will be, de facto, a poorer place both financially and intellectually for it.

Self-inflicted wounds x____x

:frown: :frown::frown::frown:

I don't even have any words.
More pissed off than anything

Posted from TSR Mobile
I still feel extremely sad even the day after. I was too tried to stay up and watch the result, but I woke up at 5am on Friday, went on my phone and looked at my notifications... There it was, the notification from the BBC news app that we had left the EU. My heart dropped and my anxiety was off the roof for the whole day. I'm annoyed my future has been decided by the baby boomers and that I was only two months away from my 18th birthday, so I couldn't vote.

When Gove said "people are sick of experts", it highlighted the anti-intellectualism in politics. People are willing to ignore experts and facts, but follow their resentment and racist attitudes towards immigrants. As a non-white daughter of immigrants, I can definitely say I have experienced more racism lately. Not only was I subjected to racial abuse not long ago, the two Sikh temples in my area where attacked on the day of the EU vote. I don't even feel welcome here anymore.
I am ecstatic.
Original post by Antediluvian
I am ecstatic.

About what positive outcome? I can't see a single positive thing for the actual good of this country that will come out of this. From every angle it's a backwards move.

Latest

Trending

Trending