Original post by ohmyapplepie
Theology & Religion, what about you?

I'm doing education studies with psychology :smile: XXX
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by phthalogreen
Hi, I have an offer for English and History combined course this year and I was just wondering about reading lists. I've already been sent a list for English from my insurance offer, I'd really like to get ahead and start some of the required reading for Durham over the summer but I'm confused as to where to find it. There's a few links on their website but they seem to be for current students. Do I have to wait until I start in October to see what I have to read? And is there a special list for combined honours students so we don't have to tackle the reading list for each subject in its entirety?

Congratulations on your offer!

I've just finished my first year at Durham, doing French and Spanish (but a lot of what I have to do is foreign literature so there are reading lists just like with English). For my course the reading list wasn't confirmed until the start of October - on the Modern Languages website there were suggestions of some of the texts that might be studied, but nothing was confirmed until the start of term. I believe this is usually the case with languages and will probably be the same for English - the lecturers for each module aren't necessarily the same each year so the texts sometimes change :smile:

However, because I'm a current student I can get past papers from previous years which list some of the texts you might be studying. I don't think I'm allowed to share the papers, but I can list some of the texts if you'd find that useful? Then you can get an idea of the kind of things you'll be studying.

Also regarding doing combined honours, I think you have to do three compulsory modules in English and three in History (or possibly 2:4 split, but it depends, I think first year is usually evenly split between the two so you have equal coverage of each subject). So no, you won't have to tackle the reading subject for each subject in its entirety.
Hi hope all of your exams went well! Congrats on your offers. Who else applied for criminology?
I have Durham as my insurance for maths after Cambridge as my firm, but given how badly I did in STEP, It's definitely Durham for me. I don't know which college I'll be in because if I recall correctly, insurance offer holders are assigned to wherever there's space, though my original choice was University. Any other maths offer holders here??
Original post by phthalogreen
Hi, I have an offer for English and History combined course this year and I was just wondering about reading lists. I've already been sent a list for English from my insurance offer, I'd really like to get ahead and start some of the required reading for Durham over the summer but I'm confused as to where to find it. There's a few links on their website but they seem to be for current students. Do I have to wait until I start in October to see what I have to read? And is there a special list for combined honours students so we don't have to tackle the reading list for each subject in its entirety?

I'm Combined Honours - I emailed my departments in September before I began first year asking if there was any prep work, got one reply saying "no" and 2 of them ignored me... I don't know which modules you're doing, and what the choices are, but reading lists tend to be very module-specific. If you have an idea of which modules you're interested in you could look at the module descriptions online, and see if that offers any help!

Combined Honours do 6 modules, like everyone else, and I've found reading to be so module-specific I didn't read differently to any of my single honours friends.
Original post by ellawhite4686
hey i have a law offer!!

heya! I have a law offer too and I've been allocated to Hatfield :smile:
I have just finished my first year as a Modern Languages student (French and Spanish) at St Aidan's College, Durham University. If you would like to ask me any questions, send me a message or reply to this post on the feed! 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by flirps
does anyone have an idea about how lenient durham are with their offers?
i'm hoping to study philosophy and they wanted AAB from me; i am hopeful that i could possibly get an A* in RS but maths has already gone awfully and i'm not feeling confident anymore and imagine i will get a C.
so it means that my grades could potentially be A*AC with an EPQ on top; does anyone know if they are lenient? thanks!

Apparently that happens a lot. I went to a talk in Durham and admissions confirmed that they have took on people in your situation quite frequently. I know somebody who had to get AAA but got A*AB and she was accepted. She says that she knows lots in that situation as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm so scared about results day. I need A*AA for Durham and I either think I got bang on that, or JUST missed it... got this overwhelming feeling of "it could go either way" but I really, REALLY want it to be Durham!
I am about to be a second year Chemist at Durham for anyone who has any questions. My college was Hild Bede. Feel free to PM me :smile:
Original post by @revido
I have just finished my first year as a Modern Languages student (French and Spanish) at St Aidan's College, Durham University. If you would like to ask me any questions, send me a message or reply to this post on the feed! 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, thanks so much! I'm applying for History and French this year (post qualification applicant) - what books for French would you recommend reading? Thanks in advance
I have an offer for Biomedical science @ Josephine butler, can any current students recommend what I need (e.g. Books) before I arrive or how I can prepare?
hey I just saw this thread and since you guys have offers at Durham University or already go there I was hoping one of you could answer this question for me. So the course I want to do is Pharmacy but I applied to Sunderland University despite a part of me wanted to go to Durham. Now the reasn why applied to Sunderland was because the grade were pretty low and I thought that I had better chance at getting in to sunderland than I do in Durham. But now during the summer break ive being doing my research and I'm not that please with sunderland at all!!!! And I wish I had more faith in myself and just applied to Durham and see what would have happened. So I'm thinking of either going through adjustments or clearing. So my question is what are the chances of durham accepting people that didn't meet the exact offer, cause I know reastically I wont get the grades but I know I can do a lot better than sunderland.
Original post by Dougieowner
Congratulations on your offer!

I've just finished my first year at Durham, doing French and Spanish (but a lot of what I have to do is foreign literature so there are reading lists just like with English). For my course the reading list wasn't confirmed until the start of October - on the Modern Languages website there were suggestions of some of the texts that might be studied, but nothing was confirmed until the start of term. I believe this is usually the case with languages and will probably be the same for English - the lecturers for each module aren't necessarily the same each year so the texts sometimes change :smile:

However, because I'm a current student I can get past papers from previous years which list some of the texts you might be studying. I don't think I'm allowed to share the papers, but I can list some of the texts if you'd find that useful? Then you can get an idea of the kind of things you'll be studying.

Also regarding doing combined honours, I think you have to do three compulsory modules in English and three in History (or possibly 2:4 split, but it depends, I think first year is usually evenly split between the two so you have equal coverage of each subject). So no, you won't have to tackle the reading subject for each subject in its entirety.

Thanks so much for your reply, in the end I emailed the departments and although History didn't have anything to give me, the English department sent me a reading list so I'm ploughing through that!
Original post by Anny Smiles
I'm Combined Honours - I emailed my departments in September before I began first year asking if there was any prep work, got one reply saying "no" and 2 of them ignored me... I don't know which modules you're doing, and what the choices are, but reading lists tend to be very module-specific. If you have an idea of which modules you're interested in you could look at the module descriptions online, and see if that offers any help!

Combined Honours do 6 modules, like everyone else, and I've found reading to be so module-specific I didn't read differently to any of my single honours friends.

Thanks so much! It seems the English department at least is being a bit more helpful this year
Hi everyone, good luck with your results! If you want to find out more about the university or life at Castle, check out my YouTube channel/ playlists! Feel free to ask me questions too!

My channel: www.youtube.com/c/iamjkl

Intro to Durham University: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...IvDFjjr3GGDy3K
Life at Castle: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...8dWnXIPEDYue4s
Hi Guys,

Got an offer to do PhD in Civil Engineering under Marie Curie Fellowship. Hope its going to be good time in Durham.!

Sravan MV
Hey everyone!Can anybody tell me how lenient is Durham on their offers? I want to study maths and I think I got A*A*B instead of A*AA. The B is not maths btw. Also, do they still accept near miss even if Durham is ur insurance choice? I'm stressing out so much...
Original post by user10175
Hey everyone!Can anybody tell me how lenient is Durham on their offers? I want to study maths and I think I got A*A*B instead of A*AA. The B is not maths btw. Also, do they still accept near miss even if Durham is ur insurance choice? I'm stressing out so much...

Hey, idk how lenient they are but it's nice to see someone else who wants to study maths
Original post by user10175

Sadly no one can say, not even Durham, it depends on how many other people just missed out on their grades. Good luck let me know what happens :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest