The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Do as many practice question as you can. Spent some time reflecting on them. That is how I do... There is only a few variations of pictures or mathematical reasoning style.Undrstand pattern recognition.
Original post by michrab123
I think its also just luck as to what mix of questions you get!!

I got 737 Average

VR 590
QR 890
AR 730
STJ Band 2

*VR was a shocker, I did a lot better in mocks so was unlucky with getting all the long questions. Was disappointed as I wanted to apply to Warwick (they care about VR being above average), but at least its over the average mark for every year so far - am hoping this year's average will be similar to last year's and it'll be fine..

What was the average for the past couple of years for VR? I want to apply to Warwick as well but I don't tend to do very well on the long questions :frown: be good to know what kind of score would be ok! :smile:
Reply 262
Is anyone here doing the GAMSAT and UKCAT at the same time?
I am and I have my UKCAT booked for the 15th August, but I am thinking of rescheduling it to a week after the GAMSAT (LATE SEPTEMBER!!) to give me a full week to practice and focus on it incase my GAMSAT goes terribly wrong.
What do you guys think? Before or after GAMSAT??
Hi.
I am doing ukcat only but as far as i have heard people say do ur ukcat before because you get your results same day which means you will know how good or bad u have done . Then u will have other option which is gamsat you can focus on that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 264
How early is early? Like over August is ok?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nisha devi
Hi.
I am doing ukcat only but as far as i have heard people say do ur ukcat before because you get your results same day which means you will know how good or bad u have done . Then u will have other option which is gamsat you can focus on that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You name seems indian!

Yeah it's better to do them earlyif you are currently in 12th grade. Mid august to early September should be ideal.

I am taking mine on 12th september :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OneAfrica
What score were you getting in the mocks ?

I didn't really do any mocks other than the official ones on the ukcat website.
Original post by Athos
How early is early? Like over August is ok?

Posted from TSR Mobile

August is fine, yes. I'd recommend for it not to be too close before or after Results Day, however as emotions could be running high that time and affect performance.
Hello :biggrin: I'm currently in year 12 and my UKCAT is exactly 7 weeks time. I was just wondering if any med students who have already done their UKCAT could give me and everyone else who'll be taking it advice? :smile: Like how many hours, what resources (the cheaper the better since I'm broke) and like generally how you actually get down to it? I'm a bit confused about how to start tbh
If possible (and if you remember still lol) could you also say what your average score thing was :biggrin:

Thank youu <3
Original post by UncleCreepy
I didn't really do any mocks other than the official ones on the ukcat website.

Roughly what were you getting on the UKCAT offical tests on the site.
Have any of you guys experienced sub par scores in mocks and then stellar scores in the real thing?
Original post by Joanne86
What was the average for the past couple of years for VR? I want to apply to Warwick as well but I don't tend to do very well on the long questions :frown: be good to know what kind of score would be ok! :smile:

I think the VR cutoff for Warwick is just the average VR score for that year. So for 2015, it was 577. I have my test this Friday and the free statement questions in VR are one of my worst sections, too. I am however finding it a good technique to instantly skip questions with long texts on an unfamiliar topic and lengthy free statements, to try to find the true/false and easier questions first. Better guaranteeing the easy marks and then going back to the harder ones (and guessing as a last resort) than the other way round.

Does anyone know if the Medify mocks are still Easy, Medium or Hard? I just did all 3 on there and not finding any patterns on difficulty so I wonder if they stopped doing that this year.
(edited 7 years ago)
No its not an indian name.

I am doing on 18th august.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by usycool1
Yup - the ones where you had to "decode" messages *

I've got the DA which asks you to decode a bunch a numbers, the key to which has been provided. Just so I know, what has DA been replaced by? I know it's a silly question, considering I'm doing my test in August!
Original post by raniafern
I've got the DA which asks you to decode a bunch a numbers, the key to which has been provided. Just so I know, what has DA been replaced by? I know it's a silly question, considering I'm doing my test in August!

I can't remember what it's called but you can find details on the UKCAT website. There's no need to prepare for that section though because scores won't be sent to Uni's. :smile:
DA has been replaced by DM (Decision Making). It seems to be logic questions following a few brief statements. Don't worry too much about the new section because it won't contribute to your final score this year.
Original post by usycool1
I can't remember what it's called but you can find details on the UKCAT website. There's no need to prepare for that section though because scores won't be sent to Uni's. :smile:

Gosh! I probably sound hopeless, but what IS there on the UKCAT now? I know there's VR, QR and AR (the bane of my existence at the moment). I also know we have the SJT. How much would you have to practice for this? Because, as I mentioned earlier, I don't have any books for it and do not know where to get a real feel of it. (You can't always rely on online tests)
Original post by Hugh Laurie
DA has been replaced by DM (Decision Making). It seems to be logic questions following a few brief statements. Don't worry too much about the new section because it won't contribute to your final score this year.

Thanks. Knowing that this section doesn't count is a relief.
Gosh! I probably sound hopeless, but what IS there on the UKCAT now? I know there's VR, QR and AR (the bane of my existence at the moment). I also know we have the SJT. How much would you have to practice for this? Because, as I mentioned earlier, I don't have any books for it and do not know where to get a real feel of it. (You can't always rely on online tests)

That's all there is on the UKCAT now. How much practice will depend on each person - it's best to concentrate on the sections that you're not so good at. Have a look at the 1000Q book. When I did my UKCAT, the 600Q book was quite useful and the 1000 one is the latest edition.
Thanks. Knowing that this section doesn't count is a relief.

When I did my test earlier they told me the DM section didn't count but we ought to take it seriously as it would be used to decide which questions are easy or hard for next year's batch. To be honest it's hard to care about that.

For the situational judgment stuff, ISC's 1000Q book does have quite a lot of scenarios and detailed explanations. There are some tricks to learn, which will help you a lot because these are patterns which come back again and again in different types of scenarios. Once you have learnt those 3 or 4 things through repetition it is not so bad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending