The Student Room Group

A question about 'computing' when writing personal statement for Oxford

The following paragraph is from: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/why_oxford/background_reading.html
'Our course assumes no prior knowledge of computing, and teaches everything from first principles. That may seem like a disadvantage if you already know a lot about computing, but a university-level approach to the subject goes much deeper than an A-level course ever can, and most people find it fascinating to see how familiar ideas relate to each other in a fresh way. '
Does it mean that I shouldn't say anything about computing in my personal statement?
Original post by y1999zk
The following paragraph is from: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/why_oxford/background_reading.html
'Our course assumes no prior knowledge of computing, and teaches everything from first principles. That may seem like a disadvantage if you already know a lot about computing, but a university-level approach to the subject goes much deeper than an A-level course ever can, and most people find it fascinating to see how familiar ideas relate to each other in a fresh way. '
Does it mean that I shouldn't say anything about computing in my personal statement?

Are you asking whether you should mention A-level Computing, or Computing as a subject in general? If you mean the A-level -- you shouldn't, but for a different reason. Generally you shouldn't write too much about your A-levels on your personal statement -- you should try to fill as much space as possible with relevant things you've done outside of school. If you write too much about your A-levels it looks like you have no interest in the subject you're applying for beyond a willingness to do related subjects at school, which isn't good.

For Computing in general, you should definitely write about it (indeed, if you are applying for Computing most of your personal statement should be about the subject).
Reply 2
Original post by sweeneyrod
Are you asking whether you should mention A-level Computing, or Computing as a subject in general? If you mean the A-level -- you shouldn't, but for a different reason. Generally you shouldn't write too much about your A-levels on your personal statement -- you should try to fill as much space as possible with relevant things you've done outside of school. If you write too much about your A-levels it looks like you have no interest in the subject you're applying for beyond a willingness to do related subjects at school, which isn't good.

For Computing in general, you should definitely write about it (indeed, if you are applying for Computing most of your personal statement should be about the subject).

Thanks for your reply.
I thought I shouldn't mention about general computing. You means that just should not mention computing in A-level? Can I wirte some experience of writing programs in my real life, and say they improve some of my particular skills?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by y1999zk
Thanks for your reply.
I thought I shouldn't mention about general computing. You means that just should not mention computing in A-level? Can I wirte some experience of writing programs in my real life, and say they improve some of my particular skills?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, definitely mention programs you've written outside of school, along with any relevant books you've read, work experience/competitions you've done etc. You can briefly mention your A-levels, but don't focus on them too much -- everyone has A-levels; your personal statement should contain things that make you stand out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending