The Student Room Group

Is machine learning good on a computer science personal statement?

I’m thinking of making machine learning my main topic for my personal statement. Is machine a good topic to talk about and will top universities (e.g Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL etc) appreciate it?
Reply 1
Original post by chisom9
I’m thinking of making machine learning my main topic for my personal statement. Is machine a good topic to talk about and will top universities (e.g Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL etc) appreciate it?

Hi there, CS student here! In regards to your ps you can talk about your fascination with ai as it is designed to mimic the human mind, what interests you about it, what you want to explore with it, any experience with ai and the importance of it etc. You could talk about it for a paragraph but don't make it your entire ps.

It's worth doing online courses to mention in your ps I'd recommend checking out 'Short Courses on FutureLearn - make sure to select the 'free digital upgrade' option so that you can get a certificate of completion when you've finished the course. I've done a few on there myself and am actually working on an AI course they have on there by Accenture. (they also have samsung courses too).

Another thing you could do is virtual work experience via Forage (Only takes a few hours and you get a free certificate for that too!) Unidays also offers free microsoft courses so that's also useful

I hope this helps! :smile:
Original post by chisom9

Yes machine learning is a good topic but ensure the universities you apply to for computer science have modules on machine learning
Oxford does - in year 3
Cambridge - yes https://www.cst.cam.ac.uk/research/themes/machine-learning-and-artificial-intelligence
Imperial - offer varying computer science courses
Computing, mathematics and computer science, computing (visual computing and robotics), computing (management and finance), computing (security and reliability), computing (software engineering), computing (artificial intelligence and machine learning)…

So if you are only focusing on machine learning as your interest in computer science and why you want to learn more about it, check the course modules…

It is not about ‘top universities’, it is about looking at the computer science courses offered by universities, as the modules vary
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
You cannot make your entire PS about machine learning. There is a structure you need to follow - Please read and understand the structure carefully. There is room within there to mention any experience or interest you may have in Machine Learning but the PS is a lot more than just that.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Bean_cat
Hi there, CS student here! In regards to your ps you can talk about your fascination with ai as it is designed to mimic the human mind, what interests you about it, what you want to explore with it, any experience with ai and the importance of it etc. You could talk about it for a paragraph but don't make it your entire ps.

It's worth doing online courses to mention in your ps I'd recommend checking out 'Short Courses on FutureLearn - make sure to select the 'free digital upgrade' option so that you can get a certificate of completion when you've finished the course. I've done a few on there myself and am actually working on an AI course they have on there by Accenture. (they also have samsung courses too).

Another thing you could do is virtual work experience via Forage (Only takes a few hours and you get a free certificate for that too!) Unidays also offers free microsoft courses so that's also useful

I hope this helps! :smile:

Thanks for answering! If you don’t mind me asking what uni do you go to for CS. Also, as ML is less broad than AI, would it not be good to say that what fascinates me about computer science and base my super curriculars and work experience on that
Reply 6
Original post by Makro
You cannot make your entire PS about machine learning. There is a structure you need to follow - Please read and understand the structure carefully. There is room within there to mention any experience or interest you may have in Machine Learning but the PS is a lot more than just that.

Thanks for answering. Could you please elaborate on the structure you mentioned?
Reply 8
Original post by BankaiGintoki
Yes machine learning is a good topic but ensure the universities you apply to for computer science have modules on machine learning
Oxford does - in year 3
Cambridge - yes https://www.cst.cam.ac.uk/research/themes/machine-learning-and-artificial-intelligence
Imperial - offer varying computer science courses
Computing, mathematics and computer science, computing (visual computing and robotics), computing (management and finance), computing (security and reliability), computing (software engineering), computing (artificial intelligence and machine learning)…

So if you are only focusing on machine learning as your interest in computer science and why you want to learn more about it, check the course modules…

It is not about ‘top universities’, it is about looking at the computer science courses offered by universities, as the modules vary

Thanks for answering. I will definitely look into that when applying to universities
Original post by chisom9
Thanks for answering. Could you please elaborate on the structure you mentioned?

See: https://www.port.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applying-for-undergraduate-courses/how-to-write-a-ucas-personal-statement
Reply 10
Original post by chisom9
Thanks for answering! If you don’t mind me asking what uni do you go to for CS. Also, as ML is less broad than AI, would it not be good to say that what fascinates me about computer science and base my super curriculars and work experience on that

My uni is terrible so it's really really not worth mentioning it lmao.
You can do that, though ML is like a branch of AI so it's still AI tbh and you can mention a segment on it
Reply 11
Original post by chisom9

You are not entirely wrong from what you've explained in your post to Chisom, you are on the right track but just need to pay attention to the questions actually asked that make up your PS and make sure you've answered all of them in your PS. This is what the structure is about. 'Chisom' has provided a link in their post to you which shows you what is expected of the PS. Read it and then carefully start to structure it: Your opening statement 9what are your motivations for CS?) personal Skills and experience (books you've read, school projects, home mini projects you've done, github???), work experience (or volunteering you've done that demonstrate your passion for CS or ML OR AI, future plans conclusion (wrap it all up nicely and strongly) etc. That's what I mean.

I also don't know what you mean when you say 'top universities', are we talking Oxbridge/Imperial here? is so they are particularly heavy on supracurrriculars so you will have to go the extra length in making sure your PS is packed! get in MOOCS, olympiads in ML or just CS if you can (you don't have to win, but just demonstrate the work you've done outside of school. Do you subscribe to any magazine or digital mags to do with AI/ML/ or just CS? are you a member of any local group that focusses on future technology? there are tons of things you could mention.
Reply 12
Original post by Makro
You are not entirely wrong from what you've explained in your post to Chisom, you are on the right track but just need to pay attention to the questions actually asked that make up your PS and make sure you've answered all of them in your PS. This is what the structure is about. 'Chisom' has provided a link in their post to you which shows you what is expected of the PS. Read it and then carefully start to structure it: Your opening statement 9what are your motivations for CS?) personal Skills and experience (books you've read, school projects, home mini projects you've done, github???), work experience (or volunteering you've done that demonstrate your passion for CS or ML OR AI, future plans conclusion (wrap it all up nicely and strongly) etc. That's what I mean.

I also don't know what you mean when you say 'top universities', are we talking Oxbridge/Imperial here? is so they are particularly heavy on supracurrriculars so you will have to go the extra length in making sure your PS is packed! get in MOOCS, olympiads in ML or just CS if you can (you don't have to win, but just demonstrate the work you've done outside of school. Do you subscribe to any magazine or digital mags to do with AI/ML/ or just CS? are you a member of any local group that focusses on future technology? there are tons of things you could mention.

Sorry, this is clearly my fault for not explaining better in the question. I’ve written the introduction. Here I talked about how machine learning is one of the main things which fascinate me about computer science. I am also going to talk about these experiences:

- Read a book on ML
- Did MIT’s ML course
- Attended University of Southampton Residential CS Taster Course
- JP Morgan Chase Software Engineering Virtual Internship and another bank (ML related)
- May also talk about using ML in my CS NEA

So basically it will be around the things I learned about ML including those experiences.
Reply 13
Original post by chisom9
Sorry, this is clearly my fault for not explaining better in the question. I’ve written the introduction. Here I talked about how machine learning is one of the main things which fascinate me about computer science. I am also going to talk about these experiences:

- Read a book on ML
- Did MIT’s ML course
- JP Morgan Chase Software Engineering Virtual Internship and another bank (ML related)

So basically it will be around the things I learned about ML including those experiences.

That's all good, also try to find a MOOC on ML that will be a good addition too.
Reply 14
Original post by chisom9

- Read a book on ML
- Did MIT’s ML course

Why does it fascinate you? Why do you think further study in this area will benefit you? What specific techniques and tools do you think a university course will teach you? Any specific areas you want to dive deeper into and why?

Those courses and books are all well and good, but you need to distill what you think you can gain from a university course.
Original post by chisom9

I thought we don't have to write a ps anymore?
Original post by ben_spivak
I thought we don't have to write a ps anymore?

This year is the last year for personal statements
‘In short, this is what you need to know: UCAS Personal Statements are being replaced by a multi-question survey that gives applicants the chance to explain various aspects of their application. This change will be implemented in the 2024 admissions cycle for 2025 Entry in the UK.’
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiOhe37m4aBAxURWkEAHbEHCU0QFnoECBIQAw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.uniadmissions.co.uk%2Fapplication-guides%2Fpersonal-statements-removed-2024%2F%23%3A~%3Atext%3DIn%2520short%252C%2520this%2520is%2520what%2C2025%2520Entry%2520in%2520the%2520UK.&usg=AOvVaw2Od44rtSJXlWtG1-dukiSx&opi=89978449
Original post by BankaiGintoki
This year is the last year for personal statements
‘In short, this is what you need to know: UCAS Personal Statements are being replaced by a multi-question survey that gives applicants the chance to explain various aspects of their application. This change will be implemented in the 2024 admissions cycle for 2025 Entry in the UK.’
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiOhe37m4aBAxURWkEAHbEHCU0QFnoECBIQAw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.uniadmissions.co.uk%2Fapplication-guides%2Fpersonal-statements-removed-2024%2F%23%3A~%3Atext%3DIn%2520short%252C%2520this%2520is%2520what%2C2025%2520Entry%2520in%2520the%2520UK.&usg=AOvVaw2Od44rtSJXlWtG1-dukiSx&opi=89978449

So if i'm going to year 12 in a week it applies to me?
Original post by ben_spivak
So if i'm going to year 12 in a week it applies to me?

Yes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending