The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by G.name
760 average. Will this be good for this year? Considering there's no DA

thats a brilliant score! do you have any tips for revision?
Guys, I'm genuinely paranoid! Is 760 good, for this upcoming cycle, considering there's no DA. I'm not looking for attention, I'm honestly quite worried!
Can anyone give me an idea of where to start with ones like this? What would you begin to look at first? I can get the answer at the end obviously, I'm more wondering how people go about it. I usually begin by counting sides, but that never really seems to come up that often?

image.jpg
Original post by Joanne86
Can anyone give me an idea of where to start with ones like this? What would you begin to look at first? I can get the answer at the end obviously, I'm more wondering how people go about it. I usually begin by counting sides, but that never really seems to come up that often?

image.jpg

Take a step back, and you'll notice that in Set A, the triangle and the circle are repulsive :tongue:like two like poles of magnets. In set B, they're inseparable.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by G.name
Guys, I'm genuinely paranoid! Is 760 good, for this upcoming cycle, considering there's no DA. I'm not looking for attention, I'm honestly quite worried!

People! Will I be able to apply anywhere with this?
Original post by G.name

You will if you select UKCAT universities on your UCAS form and press submit.
Original post by G.name

Anything above 700 should give you no problem.
Reply 687
Original post by Joanne86
Can I ask what sort of technique you used for AR? I'm practising now on medify for tomorrow and they all seem really hard. I've practised this so much over the past few months and I seem to be struggling more than ever. Did you have a system where you looked at colours, amount of shapes, amount of sides, then moved on to angles etc? I just seem to be looking and thinking of things at random instead of in any particular order.

Did you manage to answer all QR questions in the time?

Try and get an acronym in your head that works (e.g. NSPC) to signal what characteristic to look for. My AR score wasn't brilliant but it improved a lot from where it began months ago by looking at things like Number (angles, intersections, objects etc), Colour (count how many of each colour, is there an interfering object causing that colour, is one side filled with only one colour etc). Position (is one shape in the same position in every box, is a shape's position determined by something?)

Also I started getting a lot more right once I started ignoring the test shape and trying to solve the pattern first.

Look at the guide on Medify also under the Learn heading and try and apply the recommended principles for a few rounds to see how you go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aamin96
Hey guys i've got my ukcat booked for mid september, I've ordered the 1000q isc book and will get medify 2 weeks before the test. How did you guys go about revision? Did you use the 1000q isc untimed practicing the questions and getting used to the technique and then slowly increasing your speed? also are there any other sources that will help? im a bit worried about the DA section being gone because that will impact my average massively. Thanks!

Wow you are starting early. After 3 or 4 weeks it will start doing your head in so don't spend month on it. What you are doing is exactly how I did my prep. Untimed practice on 1000q because the questions tend to be slightly harder than the average Ukcat question. And then Medify for practice.

Personally I would start by doing untimed practice on official Ukcat website too just so you get a feel for the questions and your weaker points before you start preparing properly.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 689
Original post by G.name

Yes. And if you want to find out which unis, check the ukcat courses and the cut off on the tsr wiki or the uni's website.

Oh and if you read older posts, you will probably realise these are good scores so relax.
Original post by ah639
You will if you select UKCAT universities on your UCAS form and press submit.

Lol. Adrenaline's quite high; so I'm afraid my questions wont be the clearest. But do you think I can apply anywhere AND be sure to get interview invitations? I'm specifically referring to UKCAT-heavy universities. You know, Kings, Newcastle, Sheffield, and so on.

Thank you for your replies! :smile:
Original post by G.name
Lol. Adrenaline's quite high; so I'm afraid my questions wont be the clearest. But do you think I can apply anywhere AND be sure to get interview invitations? I'm specifically referring to UKCAT-heavy universities. You know, Kings, Newcastle, Sheffield, and so on.

Thank you for your replies! :smile:

King's and Newcastle would be good choices. Sheffield place a good deal of emphasis on the PS too so be cautious about them. If your predicted grades are good then you should consider Barts too.
Original post by ah639
King's and Newcastle would be good choices. Sheffield place a good deal of emphasis on the PS too so be cautious about them. If your predicted grades are good then you should consider Barts too.

I've taken another respondent's advice to read through old posts, to see how my score compares. And from what I've seen, it's not particularly outstanding. Why's that? I mean, I'm seeing a lot of 700+ scores
Original post by G.name
I've taken another respondent's advice to read through old posts, to see how my score compares. And from what I've seen, it's not particularly outstanding. Why's that? I mean, I'm seeing a lot of 700+ scores

Are you joking? A mean sub-section score of 760 would put you in or around the top decile of all cohorts since the UKCAT was introduced.
Original post by ah639
Are you joking? A mean sub-section score of 760 would put you in or around the top decile of all cohorts since the UKCAT was introduced.

It's just that I think we're in uncharted terrain. This is the first cohort to have only 4 sub-tests examined. I think that may have affected averages because, now, each person has more time to attend each section in their prep.

Another reason is, I thought I did terribly. Literally, I was on the verge to tears, in the exam. And miraculously, I seemed to have done fine. Doesn't add up. What do you think?

G
Original post by G.name
It's just that I think we're in uncharted terrain. This is the first cohort to have only 4 sub-tests examined. I think that may have affected averages because, now, each person has more time to attend each section in their prep.

Another reason is, I thought I did terribly. Literally, I was on the verge to tears, in the exam. And miraculously, I seemed to have done fine. Doesn't add up. What do you think?

G

Decision Analysis was generally considered to be the 'easiest' of the subtests anyway, and typically brought averages up.

The mean subtest score shouldn't be too different from past years. You will be fine.
Original post by G.name

760 as an average?! You could apply to King's with that!
Original post by raniafern
760 as an average?! You could apply to King's with that!

Do you think I'm being unreasonable? Have a look at my older posts, to see why I'm a little worried :s-smilie:
I got three interviews and one offer with an average of 637.5 ukcat score whereas I know of people with a 700 average with no offers,the ukcat isn't the end of the world and doesn't determine how good of a doctor you'll be
Original post by G.name
Do you think I'm being unreasonable? Have a look at my older posts, to see why I'm a little worried :s-smilie:

Ultimately it is what it is and there no more you can do about it. So what you need to do now is focus on what you can control ie you personal statement. But also to reassure yourself you can look at the national averages per subtext on e Ukcat website. You are well above the norm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending