UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gogregg
I did better in my actual thing than in the mock, I think I got:
VR 750
QR 650
AR 720
SJT Band 2

So you can see I improved from it. It's definitely helpful in that it shows you where you need to improve, but I think it's probably a bit harder than the actual thing. Just make sure you learn from it and you can easily improve :smile:

You sound like you've been practicing quite well, so I'm sure you'll do great :u:

Haha, thank you so much! I'm going to the open day in September, so I'll see if I like it then, but I probably will, Newcastle is such a nice place :h:

It's great, you'll like it. Just wondering, how long did you spend revising and when did you start using medify?
Original post by ronnydandam
It's great, you'll like it. Just wondering, how long did you spend revising and when did you start using medify?

I'm not exactly the best example to follow, but I started practicing from the ISC book about 3/4 weeks before, but not intensely, it was just light practice, getting somewhat used to the questions. I got Medify 2 weeks before my test (subscription ended the day before my test), and used that to practice the question types so I could properly get used to them. I didn't even finish doing all the questions, and I only did one of the mocks, so don't feel like you need to do all of them, although it will always be a good thing to do that. I focused a lot on trying to improve where I was going wrong, and practicing the sections I was doing worse on as opposed to trying to practice as much as possible, and that definitely help.

I probably did about 20/25 hours of practice, but I'm not certain, it was probably less :colondollar:
Original post by Gogregg
I'm not exactly the best example to follow, but I started practicing from the ISC book about 3/4 weeks before, but not intensely, it was just light practice, getting somewhat used to the questions. I got Medify 2 weeks before my test (subscription ended the day before my test), and used that to practice the question types so I could properly get used to them. I didn't even finish doing all the questions, and I only did one of the mocks, so don't feel like you need to do all of them, although it will always be a good thing to do that. I focused a lot on trying to improve where I was going wrong, and practicing the sections I was doing worse on as opposed to trying to practice as much as possible, and that definitely help.

I probably did about 20/25 hours of practice, but I'm not certain, it was probably less :colondollar:

Thank you! I am doing SO bad on AR.... is the ISC book a lot harder than the exam for this section?
Thank you! I am doing SO bad on AR.... is the ISC book a lot harder than the exam for this section?

The ISC book is EXTREMELY hard for AR, especially compared to the actual thing. It's good in terms that it explains the questions well and gives you loads of great tips for finding the relationships, but the questions have multiple dead obscure relationships, which I found was nothing like the actual thing.
Original post by Gogregg
The ISC book is EXTREMELY hard for AR, especially compared to the actual thing. It's good in terms that it explains the questions well and gives you loads of great tips for finding the relationships, but the questions have multiple dead obscure relationships, which I found was nothing like the actual thing.

that's a relief thanks! It is a shame it's not letting me like your posts and sorry for the constant questions
that's a relief thanks! It is a shame it's not letting me like your posts and sorry for the constant questions

It's alright, I understand how worried you are, since I felt exactly the same just a few days ago :lol:
If you have any more questions feel free to ask :h:
Reply 806
Original post by UniAdmissions
Hi dr_2b

Just saw that you have your UKCAT coming up in August and wondered how you are getting on with your prep?

Hopefully you have been managing to set aside a few hours each day and can continue to do so up until your test date. It is definitely a good idea to do regular practise in the weeks leading up to the exam rather than trying to cram right before.

Have you got lots of resources available to you? Let me know if you would like any pointers with this.

With your test date not far away, I thought you might be interested in reading this blog. You'll find some great tips for doing the best you can on the big day.

Do give me a shout if you have any questions... always happy to help.

UniAdmissions

Thanks uniadmissions. I have read the blog and it is indeed helpful :smile:

My test is early Aug but it's not going great (first two mock 550-600 average :colondollar:) but probably because i am not concentrating during the tests. I am hopimg to ace the QR so i can make up for my vr and ar scores.

Resources: 600 isc and medify.
Original post by Gogregg
Personally I found that it was about a 1:2 ratio of T/F/CT:s-smilie:entences. It could be different for you, though. I've heard some people have had a larger majority of Sentences.

Alright thanks for letting me know, do you have any tips for the sentence type questions on VR and General VR tips. I always go over the time limit for that section :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dr_2b
Thanks uniadmissions. I have read the blog and it is indeed helpful :smile:

My test is early Aug but it's not going great (first two mock 550-600 average :colondollar:) but probably because i am not concentrating during the tests. I am hopimg to ace the QR so i can make up for my vr and ar scores.

Resources: 600 isc and medify.

I'm really glad you found the blog helpful, that's great.

If your test is early August, that is still quite a bit of time to practise and make a difference to how you are getting on. It is really a good idea to do your best in all the sections rather than relying on your score for one. So with that in mind, I would suggest doing everything you can over the next couple of weeks to improve.
Original post by medicapplicant
Alright thanks for letting me know, do you have any tips for the sentence type questions on VR and General VR tips. I always go over the time limit for that section :/Posted from TSR Mobile

If I'm honest, it's just practice :smile: I feel like there's a bit of an element of luck to it as well. Sometimes you get the really confusing passages, other times they are quite clear, so really just continue practicing, try improve your reading speed and just skim read it at first and you should improve.
Personally I would look at the question first and the answers, give my best guess then skim read the passage as fast as I could to try find if I was correct. In the process I would usually find the answer, and sometimes I was right (I think :lol: ). But this is just what worked for me. I wouldn't suggest reading the whole passage and trying to take it in, though, that requires too much time and concentration which you just won't have!
Sorry I wasn't much help :s-smilie:
UKCAT Ninja is a great online resource for those interested! I kinda used Medify a little too early so I needed a new resource and stumbled upon this, it's got a very similar interface to Medify in terms of how easy it is to use and I thought the VR and Situational Judgement were better to learn from this site than Medify. It has a free demo before you decide whether or not you like it.
Original post by studentsixth
UKCAT Ninja is a great online resource for those interested! I kinda used Medify a little too early so I needed a new resource and stumbled upon this, it's got a very similar interface to Medify in terms of how easy it is to use and I thought the VR and Situational Judgement were better to learn from this site than Medify. It has a free demo before you decide whether or not you like it.

Is it free?
Reply 812
Hi, I just did my UKCAT test last saturday and i got:
VR: 520
QR: 780
AR: 820
SJ: band 2
So do you guys think this is good enough to get me into uni?
Original post by riayas
Hi, I just did my UKCAT test last saturday and i got:
VR: 520
QR: 780
AR: 820
SJ: band 2
So do you guys think this is good enough to get me into uni?

Yes!! That's a great score! Congrats :biggrin: Where are you thinking of applying? I recommend Manchester with that score. :smile:
Reply 814
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Yes!! That's a great score! Congrats :biggrin: Where are you thinking of applying? I recommend Manchester with that score. :smile:

Yep thats actually my first choice with Leeds as my second
Original post by riayas
Yep thats actually my first choice with Leeds as my second

Great! Leeds is really good apparently my friend applied there last year. Any ideas for your other 2 choices? I think it's Newcastle that uses a ukcat cut off too? Ukcat cut off unis would be good for your score as you'd easily pass to the interviews :smile:
Reply 816
Great! Leeds is really good apparently my friend applied there last year. Any ideas for your other 2 choices? I think it's Newcastle that uses a ukcat cut off too? Ukcat cut off unis would be good for your score as you'd easily pass to the interviews :smile:

Maybe Liverpool, I think Newcastle is a bit far for me and the other 2 I'll keep as fall backs on a different course
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by riayas
Maybe Liverpool, I think Newcastle is a bit far for me

Ah right, Liverpool is good too but they don't put that much emphasis on the ukcat so other aspects of your application have to be good that's all :smile: You must be relieved that the ukcat is over now haha, how long did you spend revising for it?
Reply 818
Ah right, Liverpool is good too but they don't put that much emphasis on the ukcat so other aspects of your application have to be good that's all :smile: You must be relieved that the ukcat is over now haha, how long did you spend revising for it?

Yeh honestly I thought I was gonna flop so bad, I started revising a week before and I was like there is no way i'm gonna pass this. But then i bought a week on Medify and that helped so much.
Reply 819
Original post by AliceLambert
Same here: has anyone used Blackstone Tutors? I've been told Medify is good but for how long/ which package?

Thanks in advance
:wink:

AliceL.

I used both last year....Medify 1 Month and Blackstone Intensive Course

Used Blackstone techniques and Medify practice Q.....complemented each other well. Tbh didnt get around to doing all the Blackstone questions, but seemed decent as well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending