The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jjcoolio
Ah average maybe, but I only got that in QR!

Seriously a massive congratulations on getting such an amazing score! My exam's tomorrow I'm so nervous
Original post by Dan Milik
I was in the same position as you. In my medify mock no.2 I got average of 632 the day before my actual test. My actual I got 690-700. Nothing has the same type of marking as your test so you won't really get a fair representation of what you'll get, just keep doing it and you'll be alright in the test itself :smile:

ah okay thankyou, that makes me feel better :smile: yeah people do tend to come out with much better scores than they were getting in practice, the test must be easier, thank you :smile:
Original post by UniAdmissions
Hi raniafern

Just noticed your post from last year and wondered if you are booked to take your UKCAT this year?

If so, are you feeling confident?

Do let me know if I can offer any advice for the big day... always happy to help!

UniAdmissions

Yup, I'm taking the UKCAT next month. Am alright with Abstract and Verbal, Quantitative is okay :mmm:, but SJT is a bit of a problem. I keep getting a Band 2 on Medify mocks.

A little nervous for my exam, because my future could possibly depend on it, but that's not my greatest fear. It's SJT :smile:
Original post by raniafern
Yup, I'm taking the UKCAT next month. Am alright with Abstract and Verbal, Quantitative is okay :mmm:, but SJT is a bit of a problem. I keep getting a Band 2 on Medify mocks.

A little nervous for my exam, because my future could possibly depend on it, but that's not my greatest fear. It's SJT :smile:

Band 2 is good. As long as you don't get band 4 the uni's won't care.
Original post by Whoknowswhy
Band 2 is good. As long as you don't get band 4 the uni's won't care.

Haha, thanks. Then, I need to focus on Quantitative. Tbh, my maths is not that bad. It's just that I ditched Maths last year for Psychology, so it's been a year and a half since I did Math. Also, the timing is terrible. Sometimes, I get 90% right, and sometimes... 90% incorrect :mmm:

All the best for your test!
Original post by raniafern

You're bound to feel nervous, that is perfectly normal.

Band 2 is good and you still have plenty of time to improve on that.

It is worth bearing in mind that unlike in the other sections where it is all about accuracy, with the SJT you will get marks for being 'almost right' so probably not worth wasting time agonising between option A and B.

Best advice I can give is to just keep practising as much as you can between now and your test date and I am sure you will be fine!

Hope that helps. Good luck with it all!

UniAdmissions
Are you a current medical student at Cardiff or are you applying this year?

I will be going into second year at cardiff.

Lets not take this thread off track of UKCAT though as thats what its been made for. If you want anymore info or just want to reply please PM me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wait, have most people been doing well in QR? Or is that just TSR?
I hope that if the scores are inflated, that they're similar to that of 2013 :lol:
Original post by Gogregg
Wait, have most people been doing well in QR? Or is that just TSR?
I hope that if the scores are inflated, that they're similar to that of 2013 :lol:

Generally QR across the board (not just TSR) seems to be peoples stronger section because it is a clean cut right or wrong answer required, rather than an inference like other sections.

Don't worry though the total score/average is more important for most universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the website. The universities I'm really interested in applying to are Leicester, Southampton and Cardiff. Looking at the website I would meet the requirements for these, apart from southampton which doesn't release UKCAT minimums until later in the year

From what I remember the UKCAT requirements for Cardiff are practically non-existent (someone is definitely gonna argue with me about this lol) and depends mainly on your GCSEs and interviews, but everything is considered by them. Not too sure about Leicester or Soton, you'll probably know more about them than I do, although I seem to remember someone saying that Soton had a similar cut off to Glasgow last year, whatever that was.
Unfortunately you can't use the time to do the other sections. If you feel like it, you can use the 20 minutes or so to just relax, but I'd still advice you to do your best so that you don't loose focus.
Original post by not you
From what I remember the UKCAT requirements for Cardiff are practically non-existent (someone is definitely gonna argue with me about this lol) and depends mainly on your GCSEs and interviews, but everything is considered by them. Not too sure about Leicester or Soton, you'll probably know more about them than I do, although I seem to remember someone saying that Soton had a similar cut off to Glasgow last year, whatever that was.

I agree cardiff only use the UKCAT in a small number of cases post interview. It means it is not considered pre interview and so gives you a chance to "show yourself" at interview regardless of your UKCAT score. Its all about the GCSEs and PS.

As for southampton they generally have a very high UKCAT cut off score.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StationToStation
Unfortunately you can't use the time to do the other sections. If you feel like it, you can use the 20 minutes or so to just relax, but I'd still advice you to do your best so that you don't loose focus.

Oh alright, thanks. So, is there a fixed max time you have per section before you can move to the next section or something (so i have 22 mins for verbal and as soon as those 22 mins are up I'm forced to the next section)?
How do peoples mock UKCAT scores compare to their real exam score?? I hear people do better in the real thing
Original post by TSRuser8
Oh alright, thanks. So, is there a fixed max time you have per section before you can move to the next section or something (so i have 22 mins for verbal and as soon as those 22 mins are up I'm forced to the next section)?

Yep, although from what I've gathered, we're "stuck" on an instructions page for 1 minute before the beginning of each section. :smile:
Hey, it would much be appreciated if anyone who has already sat the UKCAT exam to give any advice on the types of questions which would pop up? In particular the level of difficulty for each section. In addition, what tips would you give regarding revision and obtaining a good score?
If you are eligible for extra time in external exams e.g (GCSEs, A Levels etc) are you also eligible for that same 25% extra in the UKCAT?

Does anyone know?

Thanks
Yes. Look up UKCATSEN to see if you're applicable for extra time. it's 30 mins extra.
Original post by mercuryman
Yes. Look up UKCATSEN to see if you're applicable for extra time. it's 30 mins extra.

Thanks so much
Original post by Haaa101
Thanks so much

:h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending