The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Postgraduate Offer Holders 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AzueroG
Maybe 26 or 27 of September since my flight might last an entire day (the more direct the flight the more expensive it is. As soon as I have my visa I will literary run to buy my ticket. I heard you can find great offers near midnight so fingers crossed for my August bought. I'll receive my answer about my government student loan in 16 days so as soon as I get that loan (or a bank one if I get rejected) I'll start applying for my visa. I'm under a lot of stress not knowing..

Do you have everything in order? I really hope we can all meet there. Not kidding. I obviously know no one there and will be so far away from home.

That's cool! I should be flying 27th and reach by 28th morning too. All the best for your student loan! My supervisor is helping me set up a small solo exhibition in August to raise some funds so hopefully I can earn some extra income then, at least to cover my plane ticket.

Somehow most of my visa application stuff is prepared (or couldn't be rushed, like TB test) so I am just wrapping up my job and preparing for the exhibition. Currently just waiting for the right moment to apply and buy tickets so I can understand the nervousness of getting the timing right. Can't wait to meet you and Shirley! If you need help then do let me know, I will try my best to help, if you don't mind it. May not help much with your housing but should be able to aid you here and there a bit. Good luck!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
That's cute. One can imagine the view in the "durian estates". Guess we have lots in common! I'm also be arriving Manchester around noon on 28th and hopefully get to the campus before sunset. Really looking forward to meeting you and Azuero! It feels nice to be able to talk about our feelings and all that.
Just wanna check with you, have you get the school's accommodation contract yet?We have this little St.Cuth's group chat of Chinese pg students and most of my college mates have got the email so I'm a bit anxious. Also, I booked lots of things (pan, knives, the rice cooker we talked about ) from a girl who's currently in Durham doing my course. It's rather lovely to find a comrade and buying secondhand things are surely cheaper. Hope all is well with your exhibition!wish I could be there.
Original post by AzueroG
Maybe 26 or 27 of September since my flight might last an entire day (the more direct the flight the more expensive it is. As soon as I have my visa I will literary run to buy my ticket. I heard you can find great offers near midnight so fingers crossed for my August bought. I'll receive my answer about my government student loan in 16 days so as soon as I get that loan (or a bank one if I get rejected) I'll start applying for my visa. I'm under a lot of stress not knowing..

Do you have everything in order? I really hope we can all meet there. Not kidding. I obviously know no one there and will be so far away from home.

Now Let me be honest: if you are half as nice as you sound on this thread, you sure don't have to worry about making friends! Please rest assured, haha. Private accommodation can be ***** but if you get things right you won't regret it!
Like J said, if you need any help, anything at all, don't hesitate to ask. I'm currently in several group chats host by some Chinese students, it's a miraculous place where literally all of your questions concerning every aspect of your study or living can be answered by those lovely comrades now in Durham. So if you have sth in mind about your house, I'd love to help you get in touch with them.
I'm also on the loan (I owe huge debts to my parents and some relatives) here so I totally get it. There's this nice website (www.statravel.com) where you can book cheap flight tickets. Mine is almost $60 cheaper than regular agency. And we should totally share recipes when we get there! Promise!
Reply 183
Thanks guys! Seeing the existing facebook groups I kind of feel like I'm the only Colombian and one of the few latin american people which is nice, I feel special and I'll learn a lot from different people. I've kept in touch with an Italian doing my same MA so buying his old stuff is a great idea. I don't really like the idea of living on campus. Too many people sharing your space and never living the university. I like houses better, plus college accommodation is too expensive and I rather cook at home. We'll see what happens. As soon as I get my visa I'll start house hunting. Now, in terms of cooking, don't want you to think I'm some chef; I can only cook few thing that taste really nice, it's just that a couple of years ago I was hopeless.

I'm getting some advice from a friend's cousin who lives in London in terms of what to pack, like the adequate clothes and specially shoes. I can't take 10 pairs for every occasion. It needs to be practical packing with multi-use items and space-efficient.
Original post by AzueroG
Yeah.

Most students are house hunting right now so if you are British I guess you could go to Durham and in a week you might have found what you need. An Italian guy from my course got me into this facebook group. You write what you wan and other members reply with offers or just publish the houses and rooms that are available. Good luck house hunting
https://www.facebook.com/groups/162824307101648/?multi_permalinks=1188808077836594&notif_t=group_highlights&notif_id=1465605283864593

I'd love to go up there find something after hunting for a week. I'm currently working full time down in Bristol though, so getting up there even on a weekend is a bit of a pain in the bum. Not really sure how I'm going to do this; I suppose I'll have to string the search out over a longer period and go up there every other weekend or so!

Thanks for the heads up on the Facebook page. I'll have a hunt around on it tonight. :smile:
Original post by Shirley_Wholock
That's cute. One can imagine the view in the "durian estates". Guess we have lots in common! I'm also be arriving Manchester around noon on 28th and hopefully get to the campus before sunset. Really looking forward to meeting you and Azuero! It feels nice to be able to talk about our feelings and all that.
Just wanna check with you, have you get the school's accommodation contract yet?We have this little St.Cuth's group chat of Chinese pg students and most of my college mates have got the email so I'm a bit anxious. Also, I booked lots of things (pan, knives, the rice cooker we talked about ) from a girl who's currently in Durham doing my course. It's rather lovely to find a comrade and buying secondhand things are surely cheaper. Hope all is well with your exhibition!wish I could be there.

I received my license agreement last week and signed it yesterday. Haven't you got yours? Maybe you should mail the Cuth's office to ask about it? the deadline is 21st June so gotta check it quick. Secondhand goods sounds good! I got to know a few new Cuth's in Facebook but they are mostly UG so it's a bit hard to relate to them (or it's just me being antisocial?) Wish I could prebook secondhand goods too. I used to buy them on my university's page and it's certainly much cheaper than buying brand new. Thanks! I'll keep some invitation cards for you guys when I see you in Sept.
Original post by AzueroG
Thanks guys! Seeing the existing facebook groups I kind of feel like I'm the only Colombian and one of the few latin american people which is nice, I feel special and I'll learn a lot from different people. I've kept in touch with an Italian doing my same MA so buying his old stuff is a great idea. I don't really like the idea of living on campus. Too many people sharing your space and never living the university. I like houses better, plus college accommodation is too expensive and I rather cook at home. We'll see what happens. As soon as I get my visa I'll start house hunting. Now, in terms of cooking, don't want you to think I'm some chef; I can only cook few thing that taste really nice, it's just that a couple of years ago I was hopeless.

I'm getting some advice from a friend's cousin who lives in London in terms of what to pack, like the adequate clothes and specially shoes. I can't take 10 pairs for every occasion. It needs to be practical packing with multi-use items and space-efficient.

Lucky you! Don't worry about cooking! I only started seriously cooking a year ago and mostly it's vegetarian dishes for my mum, so I guess we are mostly on par with each other haha! When are you getting your visa? I starting mid July so hopefully I'll get it asap...

England weather is quite rainy so my cousins (one in Dundee, one in London) did advice to invest in a pair of good shoes, waterproof preferably, so you might need to consider that when you are choosing your shoes.
Hey guys ! I enjoyed reading parts of your conversation.
(edited 7 years ago)
My names Chris Lemon and I'm an MBA holder coming from San Diego, California. I'll be staying at Ustinov for 15 months. Anybody doing something similar?
Original post by DNA89
Hey guys ! I enjoyed reading parts of your conversation. I am an innternational student from kurdistan and will be studying masters in anthropology . Would love to make friends even before getting to Durham

Hey! I'm doing the MA in Socio-Cultural Anthropology - what are you doing? I'll also be living in Van Mildert :biggrin:
Original post by hepburn95
Hey! I'm doing the MA in Socio-Cultural Anthropology - what are you doing? I'll also be living in Van Mildert :biggrin:

That is just great. I am also doing an MSc in Development and Sustainability included in Social Anthropology at Durham. I don't know yet which college I have been allocated to but it is certainly not yours. Are you from UK yourself?
Original post by DNA89
That is just great. I am also doing an MSc in Development and Sustainability included in Social Anthropology at Durham. I don't know yet which college I have been allocated to but it is certainly not yours. Are you from UK yourself?

That's good - we may have some modules that cross over then! There's one about energy society and sustainability I like the look of. And yes I'm from the UK :smile: just finished my undergraduate degree in geography at Birmingham, and now very excited to get to Durham!
Reply 192
Hey!

I've been accepted for my masters in English Literary Studies for 2016 entry.

I received an accommodation/college email yesterday evening for Ustinov and Collingwood! I'm still trying to decide which one... so if anyone has any opinions on both colleges, I'd love to hear them.
Reply 193
Hey guys. I found this page. You might find it informative. It talks about the city, colleges, working, students, etc
http://www.therealuniguide.co.uk/durham
Just received an offer for MA English Literary Studies :h: I am also planning on renting privately in Newcastle as I did my BA at Northumbria and just getting the train up to Durham. No idea about college membership yet - it's a little intimidating!
Original post by Shiori_Azuma
Just received an offer for MA English Literary Studies :h: I am also planning on renting privately in Newcastle as I did my BA at Northumbria and just getting the train up to Durham. No idea about college membership yet - it's a little intimidating!

I've decided to live in Newcastle too - did undergrad/Masters in Leicester and Birmingham so I reckon i'd miss the city feel too much. The commute is worrying me quite a bit though - I don't know if I'm just panicking? :')
Hi Guys,

I have go an offer to do PhD in Civil Engineering under Marie Curie Fellowship. I would be getting a allowance of 2026 pounds per month. I would be accompanied by my wife and son to Durham. As an overseas student and new to UK, I need to know whether the above pounds would be sufficient to live in Durham.

Please advice!

Sravan MV
Hi everyone! I'm doing an MA in English Literary Studies! Glad to see a few others here! I'm staying at Hild bede. Just wondering - has anyone got an actual official letter to say their offer is unconditional? I sent a copy of my degree certificate to prove my result which they said was fine - but no official letter? Also, did anyone get that email about joining the postgrad fbook group but it required an email address/password- anyone know where I can get these details? So excited to start!
Original post by emilyjcastles
Hi everyone! I'm doing an MA in English Literary Studies! Glad to see a few others here! I'm staying at Hild bede. Just wondering - has anyone got an actual official letter to say their offer is unconditional? I sent a copy of my degree certificate to prove my result which they said was fine - but no official letter? Also, did anyone get that email about joining the postgrad fbook group but it required an email address/password- anyone know where I can get these details? So excited to start!

I have an unconditional offer. If I remember correctly, I got it through email...
Do you have the link to the PG facebook? I haven't got that :colondollar:
Original post by shravanmv
Hi Guys,

I have go an offer to do PhD in Civil Engineering under Marie Curie Fellowship. I would be getting a allowance of 2026 pounds per month. I would be accompanied by my wife and son to Durham. As an overseas student and new to UK, I need to know whether the above pounds would be sufficient to live in Durham.

Please advice!

Sravan MV

Congratulations on your offer! Are you renting private accommodation or living in college? For Tier-4 students living outside London, the UK government estimated a living cost of about 1015 pounds (as stated in their visa requirement) but depending on your lifestyle, it could be much less, especially if you cook your own food. Durham's International applicants website did provide some general estimation for living costs but do take a look at the UKCISA site which have lots of other info. Below are some links I hope could be useful to you,

https://www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa/family-members
https://www.dur.ac.uk/postgraduate/finance/costs/international/
http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Visas-and-Immigration/Tier-4-eligibility-and-requirements#RL

Quick Reply

Latest