The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by riyaaaaa
For VR i was getting around 70%, and for the mock tests I got like 570-650 around that range lol. Like in the real exam ALL the passages I personally got were huge.
for AR i actually had 85% i found the AR section on medify much easier than what they give in the UKCAT. Atleast for me, I got really vague patterns so yeah

Hey,
How do you get like this numbe((570-650)? Do you calculate or the website give to you when you do the practice questions??

Thanks
Guys i have done almost all of the kaplan mocks with medify and 600Q book practice inbetween and still only score around 1900 :frown: I feel like i cant improve and sometimes get very low 500 scores in some sections despite getting 70-80% in practice, i feel im a lost hope :frown:
Hello all,Just a quick reminder that you can now all share your UKCAT results by clicking the link below. This poll was only started yesterday and it's aim is to see if there is an inflation in the UKCAT scores compared to previous years.http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4240018Thank you and good luck to all future UCAT candidates :wink:
Hello all,Just a quick reminder that you can now all share your UKCAT results by clicking the link below. This poll was only started yesterday and it's aim is to see if there is an inflation in the UKCAT scores compared to previous years.http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4240018Thank you
Just a quick reminder that you can now all share your UKCAT results by clicking the link below. This poll was only started yesterday and it's aim is to see if there is an inflation in the UKCAT scores compared to previous years.http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4240018
Sorry about that :/technical glitch
Original post by saran23
Hello all,Just a quick reminder that you can now all share your UKCAT results by clicking the link below. This poll was only started yesterday and it's aim is to see if there is an inflation in the UKCAT scores compared to previous years.http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4240018Thank you

I know what you're trying to do but TSR is hardly representative of the whole cohort. And people lie on here.
Original post by shanK123
So I have just sat my UKCAT and I'm not sure how I feel about my score.

VR - 590
AR- 660
QR - 640
SJ - band 1

Do I have a chance at Scottish medical schools????

l'm also a Scottish applicant.
Hi Guys,

Apart from the 3 mocks on Medify and UKCAT practice site itself, can someone please link me some useful mock tests? (FREE).

TYIA!
Quick question guys, and sorry it's about the 1000Q book.
The VR: I understand it's going to be long, hard and difficult on the test, I have my strategies and so far (slowly) they are working. Still not expecting a great score though.
AR: I understand this just takes practice, practice practice. Mostly to get in the habit of pattern recognition.

Here's the question. With the QR in 1000Q, I can do them. Nearly all of them. However, it takes me about 3-4 minutes on the harder questions. Even on the easier ones it's 1-2 minutes sometimes. Does everyone have this problem with the QR in the 1000Q book? What is the QR like in this book in comparison to the actual UKCAT.

Sorry for another boring question about the ISC material. I just don't want to feel like I am the only one suffering with this book!
Original post by OneAfrica
l'm also a Scottish applicant.

Same here, sat my UKCAT got 680, band 2 have u done ure UKCAT yet?
Original post by Maw1979
Quick question guys, and sorry it's about the 1000Q book.
The VR: I understand it's going to be long, hard and difficult on the test, I have my strategies and so far (slowly) they are working. Still not expecting a great score though.
AR: I understand this just takes practice, practice practice. Mostly to get in the habit of pattern recognition.

Here's the question. With the QR in 1000Q, I can do them. Nearly all of them. However, it takes me about 3-4 minutes on the harder questions. Even on the easier ones it's 1-2 minutes sometimes. Does everyone have this problem with the QR in the 1000Q book? What is the QR like in this book in comparison to the actual UKCAT.

Sorry for another boring question about the ISC material. I just don't want to feel like I am the only one suffering with this book!

I found that the VR was actually easier in the book than in the actual exam :/ I was getting the majority right in the book but then scored a rubbish 530.. but that might be because it was first and I was freaking out before it

The QR is so much easier in the actual exam than in the book - those one's take forever so dw about it. I got a solid 670 there
So instead of decision analysis we have decision making, but apparently it doesn't count towards our final score. If that's the case, why don't we ignore that section, and just use the time we'd use on that on the other sub sections?

Also AR is impossible, I've done 50 questions in the 1000Qs book and I've barely managed to get 5 right
Original post by Euan1603
Same here, sat my UKCAT got 680, band 2 have u done ure UKCAT yet?

636 UKCAT score sj band 2 not sure where i should apply
Original post by OneAfrica
636 UKCAT score sj band 2 not sure where i should apply

That's literally the same as me! I'm thinking to stay away from UKCAT heavy unis and probs to attempt the BMAT although lol it seems really hard.. My uni choices at the moment are Bristol, Leeds (BMAT), Edinburgh and Southampton
Reply 1475
Each section is timed. So you could skip DM and simply click next until the end of that specific test then jump into the next section: QR. However, the 30mins from DM will not be carried over.
I spent a couple of mins in the DM subtest to get familiar with the calculator then moved on to QR...so I left the exam room 30mins earlier.

Keep practising AR and you'll get it in the end...1000q is a bit difficult from what others have said. Medify is similar to the real thing.
Original post by dr_2b
Each section is timed. So you could skip DM and simply click next until the end of that specific test then jump into the next section: QR. However, the 30mins from DM will not be carried over.
I spent a couple of mins in the DM subtest to get familiar with the calculator then moved on to QR...so I left the exam room 30mins earlier.

Keep practising AR and you'll get it in the end...1000q is a bit difficult from what others have said. Medify is similar to the real thing.

Ohhh ok, that makes more sense. Getting familiar with the calculator with the free time is a really good idea, I didn't think of that. I was thinking of getting medify two weeks before the test, is that a good idea, or will I need more time, since I can't seem to get 90% of the patterns in the book?
Original post by musicalmedic
That's literally the same as me! I'm thinking to stay away from UKCAT heavy unis and probs to attempt the BMAT although lol it seems really hard.. My uni choices at the moment are Bristol, Leeds (BMAT), Edinburgh and Southampton

I'm not completely certain, so you may want to check, but i think Southampton is quite UKCAT heavy.
I may be wrong though, but it's worth finding out.
Reply 1478
It depends on how long you spend revising. What's good in Medify is you get to see your week areas (for AR and the rest). I personally cannot comment on 1000Q but I used 600Q which had complicated patterns like: if then else or if then... From what I've read here, it looks like 1000Q is similar to 600Q.
Check out the UKCAT 2016 thread. People have mentioned tips for identifying the pattern like counting the objects, shapes, colours, angles, etc.
Original post by musicalmedic

Edinburgh might be risky unless you have amazing grades to boost your application score. Because people who apply usually have really high UKCAT scores.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending