The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chikku_7
Ayy well done, how were you doing in the Medify mocks? I did one I got an average of 710 as well!! So did you do better on medify or the real thing?

Thank you! I actually logged my results, have a look:

Mock 1 Mock 2 Mock 3 REAL THING
VR 730 670 630 670
QR 570 630 650 780
AR 730 700 650 680
SJ Band 2 Band 2 Band 2 Band 1
2030 2000 1930 2130
676.6 666.6 643.3 710

So I did better in the real thing! However, I was more prepared for the real thing than the medify mocks, so its not all down to their difficulty. I did the three official mocks after the medify ones and, over those few days, progressively got better at spotting which questions were too hard for me and weren't efficient uses of time (I'm not one of those people who can seriously attempt all the questions within the time limit). Also, I found medify's SJ a bit wishy washy, it seemed to have flexible priorities; I stuck with the principles I learned from the 1000Q book for the real thing and it went well.

Edit: sorry, it didn't want to keep my table formatting, hope it's still clear!
(edited 7 years ago)
My UKCAT is on the 18th, when is the best time for doing the mocks? I know how to tackle the sections and I have already started doing timed section mocks i.e. AR mock, but haven't attempted any mocks for the entirety of 2 hours.

The resources available to me are: 3 medify, 3 UKCAT website and 1 kaplan online mocks. As well as the ISC and Kaplan Book mocks (although I figured they may be less helpful as they are not on the computer).
Original post by raniafern
Yup, that does make sense. But, what can the student do anyway?

You can't reassure the patient because that would be providing false hopes.

Perhaps it should be B, but then what would be an A?

He tells the patient that he is only a medical student and can't tell him the results but asks if he can help in anyway? I think
Oh and in the real thing, did you skip the DM section? After checking the calculator and composing yourself etc...
Original post by TianaEsther
Hey guys, quick question, is there an equal amount of true, false and can't tell questions as there are reading comprehension questions in the exam for VR? Or is there a difference?
According to medify, around 7 out of the 11 sets are reading comprehension. So most are reading comprehension.

Original post by studentsixth
He tells the patient that he is only a medical student and can't tell him the results but asks if he can help in anyway? I think
I think I've done that question before, and the answer is A. I see where you are coming from but you have to bear in mind that this is not the only action the medical student can take, but rather it is only one of the many possible actions he can take.

The next scenario could be 'Ask the patient if there is anything else he could help with or if he has any other questions'.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Chikku_7
Oh and in the real thing, did you skip the DM section? After checking the calculator and composing yourself etc...

Yup. I didn't have num lock on at first, so I'm glad I checked the calculator. Who knows how I would've panicked if I was wasting important time! In any case, I know it was the right choice for me; it would've been quite draining attempting a completely new format of question over such a long duration, and it's not like I would've remembered anything useful for next year, should I need it, anyway.
Just did Medify mock 1 and i have been really struggling with UKCAT revision and it may be the reason i cant do medicine. I got VR=670 (happy with this) QR=630(but i panicked and KNOW i can do much better) and AR=650 (strange as this is my strong point) so ave of 650 :/ so not great, i dont know how i am going to do on the real thing two weeks today but im guessing my hopes of going to med school will be gone with a score of 650 or lower.
Original post by clairebear101
Just did Medify mock 1 and i have been really struggling with UKCAT revision and it may be the reason i cant do medicine. I got VR=670 (happy with this) QR=630(but i panicked and KNOW i can do much better) and AR=650 (strange as this is my strong point) so ave of 650 :/ so not great, i dont know how i am going to do on the real thing two weeks today but im guessing my hopes of going to med school will be gone with a score of 650 or lower.

No! For most years a score of 650 has been above average! Just because you don't have 700+ doesn't mean you have no chance of getting into med school! People on TSR usually do better than average, so so comparing yourself!
Even if it wasn't enough, there are still universities that don't put much weighting the UKCAT, and there's always the BMAT, don't be an idiot and stopo panicking!

But isn't 630 the average score? If so, you will do above average and you still have a good chance with applying to med school - don't compare yourself with others on TSR who are getting well into 700s - this is not representative of everyone who applies to med school. Not to mention, people with higher scores are more likely to post their scores.

And you still have 2 weeks left to practice! That's plenty of time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Harpal10
My UKCAT is on the 18th, when is the best time for doing the mocks? I know how to tackle the sections and I have already started doing timed section mocks i.e. AR mock, but haven't attempted any mocks for the entirety of 2 hours.

The resources available to me are: 3 medify, 3 UKCAT website and 1 kaplan online mocks. As well as the ISC and Kaplan Book mocks (although I figured they may be less helpful as they are not on the computer).

what did you get in the medify mini mocks?
Original post by Pra99
what did you get in the medify mini mocks?
Haven't done them yet, I will do them soon I guess
Haven't done them yet, I will do them soon I guess

but what timed section mocks did you do
Original post by Gogregg
Generally people have found that it's about a third T/F/CT and the rest statements.

According to medify, around 7 out of the 11 sets are reading comprehension. So most are reading comprehension.

I think I've done that question before, and the answer is A. I see where you are coming from but you have to bear in mind that this is not the only action the medical student can take, but rather it is only one of the many possible actions he can take.

The next scenario could be 'Ask the patient if there is anything else he could help with or if he has any other questions'.

Well that sucks haha, thanks anyway

Hi clairebear101

Don't panic, you still have plenty of time and I am sure you will do fine.

Is there anything in particular that you are finding difficult?

Let me know if there is something you would like some advice on... always happy to help!

UniAdmissions
Did anyone else find practice test B on the Ukcat website really hard? Test is on 22nd..and I'm away until Monday 🙈 planning to spend the six days I have doing a LOT of practice: I haven't really done that much timed practice yet and ran out of time on the mock but even so, the AR was so hard

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
For all those who have done the UKCAT this year, were the passages in the VR section 3/4 paragraphs long, and were they longer than what you were expecting. Also, for the abstract reasoning section, were most of the questions type A/type B ones. And was the QR section mainly just percentage changes and simple calculations, rather than a lot of data which confuses you. Thanks
Original post by studentsixth

I'm not trying to argue... don't get me wrong.

But, what help can the student provide? Talk about the weather i.e. a neutral topic? Yes. But anything about the patient, his diagnosis, prognosis, test results... Nope.
Original post by Christina1999H
Did anyone else find practice test B on the Ukcat website really hard? Test is on 22nd..and I'm away until Monday 🙈 planning to spend the six days I have doing a LOT of practice: I haven't really done that much timed practice yet and ran out of time on the mock

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd suggest you start timed practice ASAP. Don't panic, but it's best to be prepared about timed tests and how to manage your time effectively.
Original post by Pra99
but what timed section mocks did you do
I did some of the kaplan and ISC mini mocks.

Also did my first full UKCAT mock from the kaplan book today and didn't do well - I got 550 in AR, 630 VR and 670 QR with Band 2 sjt. Average is 617 :/
Reply 1639
Hi everyone, I'm new here :smile:

I did my UKCAT today and tbh, it didn't go as well as I'd hoped.
Verbal Reasoning had about two T/F/CT questions with the rest being 'derive the appropriate conclusion/ what statement fits the passage best' etc. which threw me a bit I'll admit. Quantitative was reasonable and AR felt okay but my score doesn't quite agree LOOL

I got: (average 703.3)
VR: 630
QR: 800
AR: 680
SJT Band 2.

As a current undergrad, I really wanted to apply for the grad entry courses but I don't think that's a possibility anymore :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending