The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saran23
This sounds very promising. Thank you so much and good luck on your exam :smile:

Good luck to you too! What score are you aiming for?
Original post by clairebear101
what mocks did you doo? :smile:

Medify, Kaplan book, official ukcat mocks and 1000 qs book
Original post by Pra99
Good luck to you too! What score are you aiming for?

I want to aim for the highest mark possible, but I will be satisfied with anything above 720:smile:
Original post by gagandeep07
Okay... you should have a good chance at interview this time round I would have thought. Last year's average was 629 - so you should be in a good position. Also, I'm predicting that there may be a chance that the averages go down because all of this uproar about VR. Fingers crossed!

Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but what is the uproar about VR?
In the first medify mock, I got 800 in VR, 700 in AR, 670 in QR and Band 1.

Does anyone have advice on how to improve in QR, as I always end up guessing the last few questions. Although the questions i attempt are normally correct, how do i improve my speed?
Original post by scottishmum
VR - 500
QR - 670
AR - 610
SJ - Band 2

My daughter sat this test and is now worried about her result :frown:

She has 5 A's and 1C - Nat 5 level
4 A'S and 1B - Highers
Studying this year - 3 advanced highers

Any advice greatly appreciated.

She studied for a month and worked from two books and practice tests.

Her average is 593 and is quite low. But it depends on which uni she will apply to now. Try and apply to UNIs that don't heavily depend on the ukcat
Original post by KyleT1
VR: 610 :colondollar:
QR: 770
AR: 900
SJT: Band 2
Average: 760

Resources: medify, 600Q, kaplan & offical site over 2 months
:h:

Wow that's amazing congrats. Any tips on qr and ar? VR is always a pain, don't worry it's decent
Hey could anyone give me any tips and advice on how to revise for Quantitative Reasoning? Ive been using resources such as ISC Medical 1000Q book and Medify. In addition to this, how hard is this section to the official UKCAT exam?
Original post by Pra99
My technique is similar to yours, but instead of finding a keyword in each statement and then going to the passage, I read all 4 statements and then skim the passage and then answer.

Yes i use this if all the answers are short and of similar nature
Could someone explain what they mean that our results are calculated with regards to how others have done please?
Your score is amazing so applying to any UKCAT heavy university is a good idea. Also hull York medical school look at your top 8 GCSEs and UKCAT score when deciding who to interview. So that would be a good place to apply too.

Good luck.
Original post by med2017
Hi guys

I just sat my UKCAT and got the following

VR - 480
QR - 770
AR - 900
SJ - Band 3

Average 717

Overall I'm happy with the average but am really concerned about my 480 in verbal! It was such an awful section :frown: also is my band 3 too low. What universities should I avoid/apply to?

I got 6a* 4a at gcse. I appreciate any help.

Many thanks :smile:

well done on your amazing score, why exactly was verbal hard? i mean some of the medify passages are really long too so if i practice these will they be able to represent the exam more closely?
can someone tell me how close the kaplan mock 6 is to the real exam? thanks x :smile:
How did people fare with the mini-mocks? I failed my QR with 550 :frown: the questions were too long XD
can someone tell me how close the kaplan mock 6 is to the real exam? thanks x :smile:
Original post by med2017
Hi

Thank you so much :smile:

The reason I found it difficult was due to the trying to find the key words in the passage and exam nerves. In the official mocks I got between 600-650, where it was easy to locate key words to come to a conclusion. In the exam it was more difficult and I feel a lot of the answers were paraphrased as I couldn't pinpoint any keywords.

So I would practice scanning for the keywords for that section. The length looks longer but the text was very zoomed in.

Hope this helps!

Thank you, yeah i have heard they are the same lengh but just zoomed in which panics people even tho its the same length! So there are still key words to scan for right? jsut need to practice?
When is your UKCAT? mine is on the 6th of September but I might reschedule it cause I'm getting low scores :frown:
Sat my UKCAT today.
VR passages seemed a bit longer than the ones in the official practice tests. I am a horribly slow reader so despite trying to answer in 30-40 seconds I ended up guessing A LOT. I should say English is not my first language so probably my impression isn't solely based on the difficulty of the questions. I didn't read the passage, just tried scanning for keywords but it was more difficult than when I was preparing for the test.

As for QR, it is easier than the official practice questions but there are quite a few time-consuming questions which are impossible to answer in under 1 minute so be wise and don't be scared to guess, flag and move on. The questions were usually straightforward, requiring basic calculations. In my opinion I guessed a lot of questions and still got a decent score. I didn't understand a few sets of questions and tried to make an educated guess. I cannot lie that I feel a bit disillusioned with the scoring because I really feel like I don't deserve my QR score since I had to guess many questions.

AR was very similar to the official questions. I think flagging and skipping is also essential in this section because at the second attempt there is a chance that you will spot the pattern quicker. I tried to stick to the 40-50 seconds per set and it saved me. Because of the fact that there were a few easier questions ahead I managed to return to the flagged ones and managed to find all the patterns I couldn't see first.

STJ was also very similar. The scenarios were longer than on Medify but less wishy-washy (in my opinion). Reading GMC "Good Medical Practice" a few times as well as reading the clinical cases (http://www.gmc-uk.org/gmpinaction/) they provide on their website was both fun and helpful during the preparation.

My scores:
VR 590 :frown:
QR 780
AR 880
STJ Band 1

I'm worried about my VR score. Will it negatively affect my application? I wanted to apply to Edinburgh so much and now I'm not so sure since their reqiurements are so high each year :frown:
Did mine today for 710 average
VR: 630
QR: 710
AR: 790
SJT: 2
So happy:smile:
I used Kaplan and medify - they really do work!
Original post by Aamina_123
Hey could anyone give me any tips and advice on how to revise for Quantitative Reasoning? Ive been using resources such as ISC Medical 1000Q book and Medify. In addition to this, how hard is this section to the official UKCAT exam?

Hi Aamina_123

Hoping I can help with this...

Firstly, get familiar with the on screen calculator and use the calculator with the keyboard for speed, it is definitely a good idea to practice this. Look for hard questions and skip these immediately don’t waste valuable time. I would say that if the question is hard to understand, the data you need is complex or there are many stages to the calculation, that is a hard question. If moving on, just guess an answer and flag for review in case you get extra time later. Remember there is no negative marking, so always worth a guess.

I hope that is useful.

Do let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Good luck with your test.

UniAdmissions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending