The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chikku_7
Same, sadly have not been very productive! Do you use medify? I have done 2 mocks, I am saving the last one for tomorrow.

No I haven't got Medify. I've been trying to prepare just using free resources online, which probably wasn't the best way of preparing seeing as everyone seems to be using medify or Kaplan... How have those mocks gone?
Original post by lmarrable
How have those mocks gone?

I have been averaging around 700, first one I got 670 and the second 710. I do not know what to expect man. I am just hoping for 700 and above (fingers crossed).
Original post by blues123
Hi everyone
Just did my first Mock today on medify and I got
VR:600
QR:630
AR:650
SJ:Band 2
AVG:627

Exam is on the 18th August , should I be worried or is this is a decent result?
Thanks
That's a good score considering its your first mock, mines on the 18th too! Try out the mocks at a gradual pace and review all the answers at the end of the mock.

Also, I'd say brush up on your VR quite a bit because the exam has way more comprehension rather than T/F/CT questions. But don't neglect maths and AR.
I have been averaging around 700, first one I got 670 and the second 710. I do not know what to expect man. I am just hoping for 700 and above (fingers crossed).

That's great! Good luck :smile:
How accurate is medify scoring?
Original post by blues123
Hi everyone
Just did my first Mock today on medify and I got
VR:600
QR:630
AR:650
SJ:Band 2
AVG:627

Exam is on the 18th August , should I be worried or is this is a decent result?
Thanks

Just keep practising and will go well!
Original post by scottishmum
Hi thanks for your response. My daughter will be applying to Scottish universities. What is Bmat?Will this help with Scottish universities? Many thanks 😃

None of the Scottish universities use the BMAT.
Original post by hoafanuk
Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but what is the uproar about VR?

No its fine, honestly. Basically, many students have been complaining that VR has been more challenging this year and not truly reflective of the mocks that are available. I, personally, also have experienced this. Thus, I wouldn't be surprised if the averages were to slightly dip. However, don't expect drastic changes
Original post by Uni12345678
The table below shows the exchange rates between GBP and various other currencies in a large department store. Exchange rates are prone to constant change due to many different factors.A store offers exclusive exchange rates for their cardholders. Since this is a Credit Card, the store offers a 1.5% bonus which is added to the value of the foreign currency for the same amount of GBP. The only way to exchange from foreign currency to GBP is by cash to cash conversion.The table shows both the standard conversion rates from GBP to the foreign currency, and also back again. For example £1 would equate to €1.189 (EUR), and for $1 (USD) you would get 66.66p back.
How much does it cost, in GBP, to buy E£3000 (EGP) using cash?
£357.96
£364.30
£24711.70
£25142.40

can someone explain why you wouldnt do 3000 x 0.1214 to get the answer?

Im not 100% sure, what Is the correct method? I would probably do 3000 divided by 8.3808 but not sure why ur way is wrong
find the key word in each answer choice and skim the text for that word, if you dont find it check the next answer choice, if you take longer than 30 seconds or in your case 40 seconds since you only spend 20 seconds on the shorter qs guess C and move on lol :smile:

why guess C?
yes but 1 EGP = £0.1214, so why not do 3000 EGP x 0.1214?

LOL, I had the same question yesterday... It's downright dumb. It should be the same both ways :angry:

Dude, I've scored 680 on average and my exam is on Monday. All the best for yours.
Original post by Harpal10
You're right but the figures in the table don't go hand in hand for some reason - even though they are supposed to - and I don't know why. If you do 1/0.1214 you are supposed to get the conversion in units/GBP which is 8.2372 however this value isn't on the table... Is this medify or Kaplan?

medify, i think its because of the number of decimal places given
Original post by Talisia13
why guess C?

no reason really, its just considered the safest to guess c and move on
What is up OP. How have you been practising for Situational judgement.

I know they give you sone marks for a close answer. But in the isc book and app I have not been getting them.

Thank you.
-CK
are the abstract reasoning qs on medify similar to the real thing?

Oh I didn't know that!

why particularly C I'm confused
Hi, just looking for a bit of advice.
My UKCAT is on Wednesday and in my mocks I'm practically skipping and guessing most of VR and QR (although in VR I got 600 which isn't awful). The other sections are fine I think. QR is particularly bad for me, I can't do any of the sums in under 40 seconds. Is that normal? Should I reschedule for early September? I'm an Irish student so I dunno if I'm even gonna be able to afford going studying in the UK after brexit so basically I'm not sure if it's worth rescheduling and eating into school time. But then again, most UK unis are ranked better than Irish ones so I'd prefer to go there if I don't get my first choice in Ireland. Anyway I'd be so grateful for any advice cause I'm kinda freaking out. Thanks in advance!
Original post by ronnydandam
why particularly C I'm confused

i dont know i know it sounds crazy but ive just heard people saying just always guess c, its considered best to guess the same letter everytime to maximise your chance of being correct, and it just happens to be that most people pick c :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending