The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chickatitta
To any aspiring or successful medics I would like to know how to prepare for this UKCAT business. Time is of the essence and there is no room for failure. Also what is the BMAT? Hella confused about what is actually required for Med school specifically. Does one have to do both tests? Thanky and Dieu vous bénissez.

You are kidding right?
Original post by TianaEsther
Thank you so much, good luck for your exam, how prepared do you feel?

I am defiantly prepared but I don't feel confident! I'm literally terrified
To any aspiring or successful medics I would like to know how to prepare for this UKCAT business. Time is of the essence and there is no room for failure. Also what is the BMAT? Hella confused about what is actually required for Med school specifically. Does one have to do both tests? Thanky and Dieu vous bénissez.

First of all, UKCAT it is an entry requirements for most of the universities in The UK for medicine and dentistry. You can prepare by doing the practice give on the official site for free: http://practice.ukcat.ac.uk - you have 3 mock tests which I suggest you leave till you have practiced each section. Secondly, you can buy online material to help for revision. I used Medify, there is also one called Kaplan. I am not sure about the others. These are online services, you have to pay for.

BMAT is the BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) is an admissions test for applicants to Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, Biomedical Science and Dentistry courses at certain universities like Imperial College, UCL, Oxford, Cambridge and a few others.

You do not have to do both tests. It depends on which university you want to go to. You do the UKCAT from July - October. BMAT you do in November (I think). So you would do the BMAT if you wanted to apply to the universities mentioned above. You do not have to do both exams. Hoped this helped :smile:

edit: Useful links:
http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/bmat/
http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/about-the-test/what-is-the-ukcat/
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Chikku_7
My test is tomorrow, hopefully it goes well! Thank you guys for the advice :smile: I am so nervous though.

My test is tomorrow too! I'm SO nervous
Original post by Talisia13
I am defiantly prepared but I don't feel confident! I'm literally terrified

Same lol
Original post by Chikku_7
First of all, UKCAT it is an entry requirements for most of the universities in The UK for medicine and dentistry. You can prepare by doing the practice give on the official site for free: http://practice.ukcat.ac.uk - you have 3 mock tests which I suggest you leave till you have practiced each section. Secondly, you can buy online material to help for revision. I used Medify, there is also one called Kaplan. I am not sure about the others. These are online services, you have to pay for.

BMAT is the BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) is an admissions test for applicants to Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, Biomedical Science and Dentistry courses at certain universities like Imperial College, UCL, Oxford, Cambridge and a few others.

You do not have to do both tests. It depends on which university you want to go to. You do the UKCAT from July - October. BMAT you do in November (I think). So you would do the BMAT if you wanted to apply to the universities mentioned above. You do not have to do both exams. Hoped this helped :smile:

Why thank you for such a quick and thorough response. I'll be sure to check out the mocks on the website. Is there any other means to practice the sections without having to purchase stuff? If not its not a problem. Just trying to be economical.
Original post by MoshBosh
You are kidding right?

Nooooo far from it
Why thank you for such a quick and thorough response. I'll be sure to check out the mocks on the website. Is there any other means to practice the sections without having to purchase stuff? If not its not a problem. Just trying to be economical.

Yeah you can practice the sections on for free: http://practice.ukcat.ac.uk
Good Luck! If you have further questions feel free to message me.
I did much better on mock 2 surprisingly :tongue: My average went from 723 to 753!

Ah wow congrats! When is your UKCAT? you're doing so well already haha

Depends on the universities you want to apply for :smile: Some unis require the BMAT and others the UKCAT. Check the unis you have in mind and what they want so you know which ones you have to take!

To prepare for the UKCAT, first go on their website and read about the sections so you know what they consist of. Then buy a 1 month subscription on medify.com's ukcat course it is amazing and has really helped a lot of people. Then just practice practice practice and you will see improvement!

Not sure about the BMAT yet but from what I gather, it has three sections. Section 1 is similar to the UKCAT (no knowledge just aptitude) so your UKCAT revision will help you there. Section 2 is like an extra hard GCSE science and maths paper so need to learn all that again, and Section 3 is a science related essay to write!
Original post by isabella1999
Ah wow congrats! When is your UKCAT? you're doing so well already haha

9 days to go for me, kinda nervous still! wbu?
9 days to go for me, kinda nervous still! wbu?

Mine is not until September 5th so 26 days I think? Fairly chill. You will do great dw those scores you got in mocks are like top percentile in all Uni's practically and you still have more than a week left :smile:

I want to get 700 plus ideally 750 as really like Kings but scared I will plateau before the test :s-smilie:
I did much better on mock 2 surprisingly :tongue: My average went from 723 to 753!

I did much better on mock 2, went from avg of 644 to 733!!!
Original post by isabella1999
Try scanning through the answers first and instead of diving in looking for the first option see Which one sounds most like it could be correct and is reasonable then scan for that; that's what I have been doing, most of the time the first or second scan is right as one or two are normally ridiculous and couldn't be right. It saves a lot of time :smile:

Thank you, i will try this :smile:
SO i did the offical UKCAT A mock yesterday and messed it up, didnt finish and got avg of 600. Today i learnt from that mistake and was brutal on my timings and flagged any i didnt know and got avg of 733 in Medify mock 2 (i know they are easier) I'm all over the place with my scoring!? dunnno if im ready lol
Ive just completed one of the mocks on the UKCAT website. For situational judgement i scored 38/69, i know this is a poor score but this was the first mock test i have completed. Any idea how to calculate what banding this score would lie in as i have been using the kaplan score sheet for the other sections but cannot find any recourses to score my SJ. Thanks
for decision making section do we actually need to answer the questions as the mark does not go to the universities, so contemplating weather its worth even looking at it????
Original post by clairebear101
SO i did the offical UKCAT A mock yesterday and messed it up, didnt finish and got avg of 600. Today i learnt from that mistake and was brutal on my timings and flagged any i didnt know and got avg of 733 in Medify mock 2 (i know they are easier) I'm all over the place with my scoring!? dunnno if im ready lol

Wow that is great improvement! If only I could do the same :bawling:. So by being strict with the timing did you manage to complete each section and go back to the questions you flagged and answer them? Also in terms of timings, you didn't spend over 30 secs for each question in VR and QR right?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by chloewhitexox
Ive just completed one of the mocks on the UKCAT website. For situational judgement i scored 38/69, i know this is a poor score but this was the first mock test i have completed. Any idea how to calculate what banding this score would lie in as i have been using the kaplan score sheet for the other sections but cannot find any recourses to score my SJ. Thanks

I don't think counting it like this is representable of the way they mark SJ test in the actual exam as you get a few points for a partially correct answer as well (i.e. if you choose inappropriate but not awful and the answer was very inappropriate you won't get full marks but you will get some because you were close). The mocks in the official site just count the correct and incorrect answers so you can't really calculate an exact score. In the medify mocks they tell you the band. I got band 2 for my first mock and I had gotten 35 correct, 20 partially correct and 14 wrong. So that's about where a band 2 lies I guess.

Good luck with your practising and your exam! :smile:
Original post by rower24242424
for decision making section do we actually need to answer the questions as the mark does not go to the universities, so contemplating weather its worth even looking at it????

You could answer it to keep yourself in exam mode and avoid getting off focus but you don't have to. You could just attempt some questions if you want but you don't really have to stress about it. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending