The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Formal gender-based clothing

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this seems like a silly question but it feels like quite a big deal to me. I'm a woman but I'm very "masculine" in appearance and I wear "men's" clothing all the time.
I would look really stupid in a dress or something and I hate wearing anything vaguely feminine.
For matriculation and other formal events would it be acceptable for me to wear the "Male" dress code? To be honest I am mistaken for a guy 99% of the time anyway.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by TheBride
Hi everyone,

Sorry if this seems like a silly question but it feels like quite a big deal to me. I'm a woman but I'm very "masculine" in appearance and I wear "men's" clothing all the time.
I would look really stupid in a dress or something and I hate wearing anything vaguely feminine.
For matriculation and other formal events would it be acceptable for me to wear the "Male" dress code? To be honest I am mistaken for a guy 99% of the time anyway.

Thanks

Yes, don't worry at all! No-one's going to be policing your gender.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Ok thank you! Think i'm just finding things to stress about XD

Haha no worries, to be honest it would eliminate all worry/confusion if dress codes weren't categorised. Choose from skirt with shirt, trousers with shirt or a dress, etc.

Well done on getting in! You're in for a brilliant time.
Reply 3
This shouldn't be a problem at all.

Certainly the college I'm at there are a few women who wear suit and tie to formal, including one of the College Mentors sitting up on High Table.

If you're at a gowned college, the gowns cover a vast amount of what you're wearing anyway.
Hi everyone,

Thanks

Yes you should be able to wear the "male" dress code. If anyone tells you otherwise, definitely dispute this. Wear whichever form of formal dress you feel most comfortable in.

Quick Reply

Latest