The Student Room Group

Why is postgraduate medicine difficult to get into?

Hi, I want to do medicine at uni but didn't get the right AS grades so I think I'm going to do a degree in bio medicine or radiology etc first and possibly apply to medicine after that. However, I've heard that postgraduate medicine is very difficult to get into and i was just wondering why that is as I don't want to ruin my changes of getting in. Thank you :smile:
It's just extremely competitive and the future of postgraduate entry into medicine is uncertain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You need a medical degree before you can apply for 'postgraduate' medicine.
It's not too bad. Last year the competition ratio for CT1 medicine was 1.7 applicants per place
Reply 4
Original post by Jessie Davis
Hi, I want to do medicine at uni but didn't get the right AS grades so I think I'm going to do a degree in bio medicine or radiology etc first and possibly apply to medicine after that. However, I've heard that postgraduate medicine is very difficult to get into and i was just wondering why that is as I don't want to ruin my changes of getting in. Thank you :smile:

There are a small number of slots and due to the financial benefit of GEM over graduates applying to undergraduate programmes, there is a high competition for the spaces. This means that requirements are higher, hence it being more difficult to get in.
Original post by TechRaid3r
It's just extremely competitive and the future of postgraduate entry into medicine is uncertain.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been wondering if this is still the case, given the objections raised to GEPs came from the EU...

Original post by Asklepios
It's not too bad. Last year the competition ratio for CT1 medicine was 1.7 applicants per place

:teehee:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending