The Student Room Group

chemistry

I am a first year student, going into second year studying chemistry with OCR. Although my grades have been moderately well throughout the year of studying chemistry, I have failed to pass onto to A2. Me and my parents were wondering if there was any way I could do chemistry A level outside of college as my college do not allow me to continue. I have found a private tutor and am happy to continue learning and taking the exam. However I am aware that I still need to carry out the practicals and there are no schools/colleges that are willing to allow me to do this. I am in need of advice and help on what I could possibly do. I need chemistry a level in order to achieve my wishes in studying medicine at university. Thank you
You really do need somewhere to do the practical work required. Is there no one at your college you can talk to about making an exception? Could you retake your As exam?
Reply 2
Hi thanks for the reply. I did retake and fail again. I was thinking of alternative routes to medicine such as a foundation year or applying as a post graduate. Is that a responsible option? Thanks
You may want to check the entry requirements for a foundation year. Postgrad medicine is an option but an even more competitive one than normal entry. Have a look at what degrees you may want to do and meet the entry requirements for at this stage.
Reply 4
Original post by pixiedust66
I am a first year student, going into second year studying chemistry with OCR. Although my grades have been moderately well throughout the year of studying chemistry, I have failed to pass onto to A2. Me and my parents were wondering if there was any way I could do chemistry A level outside of college as my college do not allow me to continue. I have found a private tutor and am happy to continue learning and taking the exam. However I am aware that I still need to carry out the practicals and there are no schools/colleges that are willing to allow me to do this. I am in need of advice and help on what I could possibly do. I need chemistry a level in order to achieve my wishes in studying medicine at university. Thank you

I would take your teacher out of the equation (pun intended!) and go and see your exams officer. You can ask to sit any module as an external candidate, this wouldn't require input on your teachers part and would just require you to study the modules independently.

I went from a poor grade in OCR ChemistryA (a D at A2) to a relatively good grade (a B at A2) so don't let teachers discourage you. Go and ask the exams officer, they can't really say no so long as you pay for it.

This is the only way round this situation I can see. It is your right as a student to sit whatever units you want again, if you don't succeed go and speak to your head teacher and kick up a fuss, tell them you're passionate about chemistry and that you'll work harder to succeed.

It is just the practical skills module you may struggle with :frown: you do need a lab for that.

Best of luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5

Campbell harris will allow you to do the exam and coursework for chemistry ocr

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by L33t
I would take your teacher out of the equation (pun intended!) and go and see your exams officer. You can ask to sit any module as an external candidate, this wouldn't require input on your teachers part and would just require you to study the modules independently.

I went from a poor grade in OCR ChemistryA (a D at A2) to a relatively good grade (a B at A2) so don't let teachers discourage you. Go and ask the exams officer, they can't really say no so long as you pay for it.

This is the only way round this situation I can see. It is your right as a student to sit whatever units you want again, if you don't succeed go and speak to your head teacher and kick up a fuss, tell them you're passionate about chemistry and that you'll work harder to succeed.

It is just the practical skills module you may struggle with :frown: you do need a lab for that.

Best of luck!

Thank you! I am able to take the A2 exam at my college but my issue is with the practical. There's no colleges that allow me to do the practical part of the exam
Reply 7
Thank you! I am able to take the A2 exam at my college but my issue is with the practical. There's no colleges that allow me to do the practical part of the exam

Campbell harros will

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest