The Student Room Group

Physics help

For the physics exam i have concerns about my answers for example for the material of a plug I put copper as it is a good conductor and plastic as it would keep electricity in and not let it be release/escape how many marks out of 4 will i get pls
Original post by BrownMan1999
For the physics exam i have concerns about my answers for example for the material of a plug I put copper as it is a good conductor and plastic as it would keep electricity in and not let it be release/escape how many marks out of 4 will i get pls

Depends what the question was asking you: if it was just asking for the materials and a justification, I'd say 3/4 maximum - it depends how specific the mark scheme.

You'd definitely get a mark for copper, you'll probably get a mark for good conductor (depending how strict the mark scheme is), you'll get the mark for plastic but I don't think you'd get the mark for your reasoning for plastic.

Did you put a good conductor of electricity, or just a good conductor?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BrownMan1999

At GCSE you'll get away with "good conductor" you'll probably get benefit of the doubt "good conductor of electricity" as the above poster said would be better. In the same way for the plastic they were probably looking for the word "insulator".

The only reason for the specificity with the electricity is of course from the fact that conduction and insulation can refer to properties of heat too.

I'd say the mark breakdown would be:

Copper= 1 mark

The word "conductor" anywhere= 1 mark (on a strict mark scheme maybe "[good] conductor of electricity")

Plastic/ Resin/ polymer= 1 mark

The word "insulator" anywhere= 1 mark

I should think thats how theyd break it down so you should get 3/4 marks maximum. Hope that helps
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest