The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

It was weird today. I was in the same centre that I did my UKCAT (111 Piccadilly, Manchester) sitting two seats over from the exact spot I was doing it, while someone else was doing it, and instead doing my driving theory test :lol:
The 1000Q questions are so much harder than in the real thing. The most useful strategy for me was to learn to identify those questions that take too much time, and just skip them without even trying. That way you can ensure that you answer most of the easy ones right - it's better to skip 20% of questions but have the 80% correct than to do all the questions but have something like 30% correct. Just try to be confident and calm when you begin the section (easier said than done lol, I know, but just TRY), and you'll be fine. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by MedicineMaybe
So my test is on Friday and I have just done my 1st mock and got

VR - 630
AR- 500
QR- 500
SJ - Band 3

So I'm looking at getting an average of just over 500 for my test find QR hard as I haven't done my Maths GCSE yet will be doing so this year (mature student) and for AR the patterns don't seem to click for me like they do normally.

I recommend two things:
1. Triage, get into the habit of guessing and going as some question are design to consume time. With QR keep on doing timed questions, slowly you learn to do questions fasters. Some quesiton can be eyeballed.
2. AR only gets better with time, do as much as you can and learn/write down common pattern you get wrong (ex. Concave vs convex shapes). Top tip keep in mind scans (Shape, colour, arrangement+angle, number and size). With this you can see patterns by eliminating what the two sets are in common, but this can be way too simple for some sets

Hope this helps, i highly recommend spending 3-4 hours or more from now on, you can be surprised by how much you can improve if you work intensely running up to the exam.
Reply 3023
hi guys, I know this may be a little nosy but I wanted to ask how people did in the UKCAT for the 2017 entry? I imagine the scores may be a little confusing as there is no decision analysis this year..... so yeh how did everyone do?
For Edinburgh, St Andrews and Aberdeen that score unfortunately isn't likely to be good enough. I'm not so sure about Dundee and Glasgow - you should google how they use UKCAT and make your own conclusions about that. I know that it would be so much more expensive for you to study elsewhere in the UK, but have you looked at the unis outside Scotland? :smile: many of them don't care about the UKCAT that much.

Look at this document for more info about how universities use the UKCAT:

https://www.google.fi/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjkqeukkNjOAhXJ3CwKHcIhAWoQFggZMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ukcat.ac.uk%2FApp_Media%2Fuploads%2Fpdf%2FUsing%2520my%25202016%2520UKCAT%2520Result.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEAcj1hDtmHnAiCO7MZ8VJMS-jzug&sig2=CJPEhGny9aRvwA9aVWLQyQ&bvm=bv.129759880,d.bGg
Original post by clairebear101
Hey guys!! I just did my UKCAT :smile: I go Avg of 716 :smile: Im happy with that :smile:

VR - 610 (hard as expected but also im bad at it)
QR - 890 (this section saved me)
AR- 650 (I got THE WORST patterns, they were all hard and i didnt understand any of them fully so i dunno how I even got 650 tbh. The only simple pattern there was i missed it cuz of panic. So im annoyed at this section but i know I shouldnt be too disheartened as its a little down to luck and i picked the short straw here :frown:
SJ-BAND 1, really happy about this.

So is there anywhere I should avoid applying?
I wanted to apply to southhampton, Birmingham, Cardiff and not sure about the other :/ I have 9A*'s and 1A at GCSE and got AAAA in as levels.
Thanks guys :smile: and good luck :smile:

Well done!!! :smile:
Anyone else got their test tomorrow?
Do many history VR's come up? because I'm so bad at them I don't understand any of the text😂😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's a thread for this actually: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4199733

Remember that the scores people post on TSR probably don't reflect the actual average scores though - people with good scores are more likely to post them, and the more dedicated people are maybe also more likely to be TSR users. :smile:
Original post by MoshBosh

I do! and I'm terrified!
Original post by MoshBosh

Yes mate, i just did mock B on the UKCAT website and got 550 avg which leads me to the conclusion that i'm totally screwed for tomorrow! :smile:
Original post by Theragingninja
Yes mate, i just did mock B on the UKCAT website and got 550 avg which leads me to the conclusion that i'm totally screwed for tomorrow! :smile:

I know how you feel! what time is your exam? mines at 9!
Reply 3032
i'm averaging from 550-630 in the mock tests and there is a week to go until my test. could someone please give me some advice .i've also bought medify, which i'm going to start tomorrow, is there enough time to do all the medify questions?
Does anyone know when universities submit their cut off scores? Is it after you apply to a uni or before?
Hi, your UKCAT is still okay, it's just a matter of applying to the right places. Avoid 'UKCAT heavy' medical schools such as Newcastle, Kings... However, it's also about other stats, medical schools may use UKCAT in conjunction with GCSE's for example so you need to research each school you can. Also, with STJ some places don't accept anyone with band 4 so be careful if that's your band.
http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/Using%20my%202016%20UKCAT%20Result.pdf this link here may help.

You may also want to look at BMAT if you're really worried about it though :smile:
also does anyone know last years cut off scores for Leicester, Nottingham and Newcastle. I can't find them anywhere!
Hi, registration for the UKCAT in 2017 starts next May, where you will be able to personally book a date from the 1st July 2017 through to October. However, from September you would have to pay a higher fee. All in all, when you sit your UKCAT is entirely up to you (wouldn't recommend sitting it on results day :s-smilie:) Hope this clears things up :smile:
Original post by Lightingspeed
I recommend two things:
1. Triage, get into the habit of guessing and going as some question are design to consume time. With QR keep on doing timed questions, slowly you learn to do questions fasters. Some quesiton can be eyeballed.
2. AR only gets better with time, do as much as you can and learn/write down common pattern you get wrong (ex. Concave vs convex shapes). Top tip keep in mind scans (Shape, colour, arrangement+angle, number and size). With this you can see patterns by eliminating what the two sets are in common, but this can be way too simple for some sets

Hope this helps, i highly recommend spending 3-4 hours or more from now on, you can be surprised by how much you can improve if you work intensely running up to the exam.

Thank you I'm planning on doing 2 more mocks one tomoz and thursday :smile: I just hope I at least get 600 and a band 1 or 2
Original post by arveen.x

Mines at 11, let me know how u do man and good luck!
Original post by arveen.x

ha same here I'm getting 5-600 in mocks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending