The Student Room Group

There is no evidence for God

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pride
I don't normally get defended by atheists on TSR. Thanks.

But the assumption isn't wrong, or at least, you haven't explained to me how it is so. Let us discuss just the assumptions I made then, huh? That would help me. I'd be very happy to simply discuss the assumptions, not even the conclusions.

Let me jog your memory. I said to someone else, "You are implying that science can be used to demonstrate the existence of God if God exists, and therefore because it hasn't, it's unreasonable to believe he exists. "
You said "No. That is not what he is implying at all. He is just saying "magic is not a rational explanation""

But let's actually unpack that response. What is a rational explanation? What is your basis for rationality? And why is explaining things with the supernatural not rational?

It's an assumption. It's not on me to prove it wrong. It's on you to prove it correct.

And the arrogance, you didn't get defended by an atheist, an atheist asked for more clarification in my argument, since the state it was in, he didn't understand it. If you continue to read our exchange you will see that we came to an agreement.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pride
I don't normally get defended by atheists on TSR. Thanks.

But the assumption isn't wrong, or at least, you haven't explained to me how it is so. Let us discuss just the assumptions I made then, huh? That would help me. I'd be very happy to simply discuss the assumptions, not even the conclusions.

Let me jog your memory. I said to someone else, "You are implying that science can be used to demonstrate the existence of God if God exists, and therefore because it hasn't, it's unreasonable to believe he exists. "
You said "No. That is not what he is implying at all. He is just saying "magic is not a rational explanation""

But let's actually unpack that response. What is a rational explanation? What is your basis for rationality? And why is explaining things with the supernatural not rational?

I think you're being too generous in your assumption that you're dealing with a rational debater.

- dismisses philosophy
- holds defunct philosophical views like verificationism
- ??
- profit
Original post by Dima-Blackburn

Funny post, but in the end no better than that what is made fun of in the clip.
Original post by inhuman
Funny post, but in the end no better than that what is made fun of in the clip.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how euphoric are you feeling right now?
I think you're being too generous in your assumption that you're dealing with a rational debater.

- dismisses philosophy
- holds defunct philosophical views like verificationism
- ??
- profit

I think you you're vastly overestimating your own capacities :wink:

By any chance, what subject did you study at university?
On a scale of 1 to 10, how euphoric are you feeling right now?

6. Almost time for the weekend but not quite.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how smug are you feeling right now?
Original post by inhuman
It's an assumption. It's not on me to prove it wrong. It's on you to prove it correct.

And the arrogance, you didn't get defended by an atheist, an atheist asked for more clarification in my argument, since the state it was in, he didn't understand it. If you continue to read our exchange you will see that we came to an agreement.

copout.
this is a discussion - a debate. you are in the sub forum "debate and current affairs."

in a debate both sides support their claims and provide evidence or support as to why the other side is incorrect. this also adds support to your claim.

when ever someone makes a claim - positive or negative - they need to support their own claim. otherwise if you try to tell other people you are right and they are wrong, you just give an assumption. we all know what that does - look to Benny Hill if you don't.

now there are many reasons why a person can not continue in a debate or conversation, but if let alone in a disrespectful way or at least deflecting way - hm...doesn't provide best support for your claim.

Why should I believe or accept your assumption?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by inhuman
I think you you're vastly overestimating your own capacities :wink:

By any chance, what subject did you study at university?

We'll let others be the judge of that :wink:

The fact that you're asking that question tells me all I need to know about your comprehension skills.

Original post by inhuman
6. Almost time for the weekend but not quite.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how smug are you feeling right now?

I expected a higher number based on your complete inability to make a point but oh well.

10, thanks to you!
Original post by da_nolo
copout.
this is a discussion - a debate. you are in the sub forum "debate and current affairs."

in a debate both sides support their claims and provide evidence or support as to why the other side is incorrect. this also adds support to your claim.

when ever someone makes a claim - positive or negative - they need to support their own claim. otherwise if you try to tell other people you are right and they are wrong, you just give an assumption. we all know what that does - look to Benny Hill if you don't.

Why should I believe or accept your assumption?

If his entire argument is based on that assumption, wouldn't you say it's pretty vital for him to show it's true?

What if he deliberately chose an assumption that is impossible to disprove, or at least currently impossible? Then he will do exactly like you just did and say well listen mate there it is, look what I argued, you can't disprove it, so who is the fool now for denying it.
We'll let others be the judge of that :wink:

The fact that you're asking that question tells me all I need to know about your comprehension skills.

I expected a higher number based on your complete inability to make a point but oh well.

10, thanks to you!

It does tell you a lot about my comprehension skills, doesn't it :wink:
Reply 450
There's no hard and fast evidence he doesn't exist...

:iiam:
Reply 451
What evidence says there is *no* god?
Original post by inhuman
It does tell you a lot about my comprehension skills, doesn't it :wink:

You're getting more and more incoherent with every post. It's too early to be drinking, chum.
You're getting more and more incoherent with every post. It's too early to be drinking, chum.

If you can't figure out what I meant by boldening those two parts of your previous reply, then you really are overestimating your mental capacities. Although I half think you do actually and just replied in this manner because you got nothing proper to reply so you are just starting to troll.
Original post by inhuman
At the end of the day it's still a philosophical argument. Philosophy is not science or mathematics.

That's not really fair. Atheists always use philosophical arguments to counter the idea of God like the evil and suffering thread david pulled out a few days ago.
x

Are you agnostic?
Original post by champ_mc99
That's not really fair. Atheists always use philosophical arguments to counter the idea of God like the evil and suffering thread david pulled out a few days ago.

Perhaps.

But if they get to make philosophical arguments to appear to justify God, then one could be allowed to make philosophical arguments the other way, too.

How about this though, are there any ideas in philosophy that do not have critics? How about theorems in mathematics?
Reply 457
There is no evidence that there is no God. So there.
Original post by faby96
There is no evidence that there is no God. So there.

Some would argue that after two millennia of there being no evidence at all, that that is at least one piece of evidence that there isn't.

You would have been right if you said there is no proof that there is no God. But alas, you didn't.
Original post by oldercon1953
Just the desire alone to want is not greed and wanting to hold for ones own consumption something you enjoy is not selfishness.

I do not believe I said either of those things?

In any case, humans are greedy. They must have been greedy (have an insatiable hunger for power) in order to survive.

Consumption of something, especially in the west, is often selfish. There is a scarcity of resources in the world and there is certainly a more fair and just allocation of these resources than the way that we use them. They are allocated the way that they are because we are innately selfish.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending