The Student Room Group

2018 Veterinary applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Louiseee_
I'm doing piggies too 😁 Them stables next week. How mUch EMS have you done so far LTC?

I'm getting there. Done two weeks of stables, got dairy soon and I'm at a chicken farm now. Did three weeks of lambing at Easter (actually five but not all of it counted :tongue: ) . If I do something else this summer (prolly an extra week of stables) then I'll I need to do next year is pigs and MOAR LAMBING :biggrin: Then I can have my summer free to earn those fat stacks ££££

How about you? How'd your first year at Notts treat you? :smile:
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I'm getting there. Done two weeks of stables, got dairy soon and I'm at a chicken farm now. Did three weeks of lambing at Easter (actually five but not all of it counted :tongue: ) . If I do something else this summer (prolly an extra week of stables) then I'll I need to do next year is pigs and MOAR LAMBING :biggrin: Then I can have my summer free to earn those fat stacks ££££

How about you? How'd your first year at Notts treat you? :smile:

I did 2 weeks lambing and a weeks of dairy at Easter, so far I've done dairy, pigs and then stables a week on Monday and then only three weeks left to do next year :biggrin: so I'm going to do more lambing, an alpaca farm and maybe something "unusual" like a zoo or the Sealife centre :P then I'm going to get a summer job and maybe start clinical EMS next summer as well
And I past first year so it can't have been too bad :biggrin: how's RVC lyf?
(edited 7 years ago)
Here's some food for thought: no dates have been given yet, but given how quickly Surrey's vet school opened after being announced, there's a good chance that you lot might be the first vets to graduate from Aberystwyth.

Thoughts, anyone? Would you consider applying there? What are your comments in general about a new vet school opening?

I would agree, especially with other vet schools increasing applicant numbers. But we're still pretty reliant on foreign vets so maybe in light of Brexit (ugh) we might need more vets to replace them? The issue is foreign vets seem to mainly work in public health, abbatoirs and government which a lot of uk grads don't seem keen on going into

As a new grad, I managed to find a job before even getting my finals results. Everyone who wanted a job found one so I don't think there is a lack of jobs out there yet - but this is obviously a worry for the future. There is also a worry about wages falling, or working conditions worsening if demand outstrips the number of jobs available. On the other hand, a lot off people still leave the profession and I've heard about employers struggling to find experienced vets to fill posts.

I'm not sure what effect Brexit will have on foreign vets working in the UK. Certainly, I've never heard of a UK student wanting to work in an abattoir, so in that respect we are quite reliant on people from abroad. A lot of foreign vets work in practice though too.

------------------------------

On another note, I've just completed my first week as a vet in practice :smile:

If anyone on here has any questions about applying or life as a vet then let me know!
Original post by SilverstarDJ
As a new grad, I managed to find a job before even getting my finals results. Everyone who wanted a job found one so I don't think there is a lack of jobs out there yet - but this is obviously a worry for the future. There is also a worry about wages falling, or working conditions worsening if demand outstrips the number of jobs available. On the other hand, a lot off people still leave the profession and I've heard about employers struggling to find experienced vets to fill posts.

I'm not sure what effect Brexit will have on foreign vets working in the UK. Certainly, I've never heard of a UK student wanting to work in an abattoir, so in that respect we are quite reliant on people from abroad. A lot of foreign vets work in practice though too.

------------------------------

On another note, I've just completed my first week as a vet in practice :smile:

If anyone on here has any questions about applying or life as a vet then let me know!

Congrats! How are you finding it??
Best of luck to anyone getting their GCSE results today :smile: . Fingers crossed you get what you're hoping for.
Best of luck to anyone getting their GCSE results today :smile: . Fingers crossed you get what you're hoping for.

Thank you so much! I'm so so pleased with my results! I got
A* History,
A* Further Additional Science,
A Core Science
A Additional Science
A English Lit
A English Lang
A Maths
B French
B Business Studies
B Media Studies

It's such a relief and such a huge confidence boost getting A* in subjects I'm doing at A Level! Gives me a bit of reassurance that I'm not punching above my weight! :colondollar:

I hope everyone else got the results they hoped for :biggrin:
Original post by katerebecca
Thank you so much! I'm so so pleased with my results! I got

Amazing results, I'm so happy for you :h:
I've just had my GCSE results:
A* Geography
A Biology
A Chemistry
A Physics
A Maths
A English Language
A History
A Graphics
A Religious Studies
B English Literature
B German
I am doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and History at a Level at one of the best sixth forms in the country.
I have also done one week of farm vet experience, 2 days of lambing and one year of riding stables (every Saturday).
I have an alpaca placement booked, 2 x dairy farm placement booked, lambing at Ragley Estate next spring, eventing yard placement booked and have plans for small animal veterinary placement, a rescue centre and hunt kennels as I read this was a good alternative to an abattoir in Veterinary Times.
Am I doing enough? What else can I do? Are my Grades good enough?
Original post by katieemorgan
Am I doing enough? What else can I do? Are my Grades good enough?

Your grades are absolutely fine, well done :smile: The fact that you're going to one of the best sixth forms isn't going to benefit your application but congratulations on getting in.

Your work experience also sounds good. I would prioritise getting some clinical work booked now. It's very hard to say what's 'enough', as it will depend where you apply, the applicants you're up against etc etc but that's a decent mix of varied placements as it stands. In regard to what else you can do; any place with animals is fair game to be honest. Zoos, labs, pet shops, pet shops... even funkier things like falconry centres or seal sanctuaries. They're by no means necessary though, only if you have time :smile:

Best of luck at sixth form :smile:
Your grades are absolutely fine, well done :smile: The fact that you're going to one of the best sixth forms isn't going to benefit your application but congratulations on getting in.

Your work experience also sounds good. I would prioritise getting some clinical work booked now. It's very hard to say what's 'enough', as it will depend where you apply, the applicants you're up against etc etc but that's a decent mix of varied placements as it stands. In regard to what else you can do; any place with animals is fair game to be honest. Zoos, labs, pet shops, pet shops... even funkier things like falconry centres or seal sanctuaries. They're by no means necessary though, only if you have time :smile:

Best of luck at sixth form :smile:

Thanks for the help!!
I was wondering when this thread would arrive, welcome :h:

I'm a first year at the RVC now so feel free to shoot me any questions about applying/vet school in general. :smile:

Hey, I'm hoping to apply to the RVC in 2018 and wanted to ask you a question about subject choices! Currently for A level I have chosen Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Geography. Will Physics bring me down because I don't take the usual BCM combination?

Thanks!
Natasha
Reply 51
Hi. I've just got my GCSE results, I only got a B in Chemistry, is that accepted in veterinary college? I got an A in Biology and am taking Chemistry, Biology and English Literature at A-Level
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tash.Friesinger
Hey, I'm hoping to apply to the RVC in 2018 and wanted to ask you a question about subject choices! Currently for A level I have chosen Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Geography. Will Physics bring me down because I don't take the usual BCM combination?

Thanks!
Natasha

Not at all. I wouldn't say that maths is the 'usual' third subject to take either. I took physics as my third subject and I'm studying at the RVC now :smile: I know people here who took geography to A2 as well, so it doesn't even matter which one you drop after AS :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Louu.g
Hi. I've just got my GCSE results, I only got a B in chemistry, is that accepted in veterinary college?

Take a look here. :smile:
Hi guys :smile:I've been lurking around this thread for a while and I thought I would finally say hi!

I'm an EU student hoping to apply to vet med in the UK in 2018 as well. It is proving quite difficult to do work experience in the Netherlands, especially at a vet's, because it is very uncommon to do WE here. It has changed this year, but it used to be a lottery system to get into vet med. So far I have gotten only a day at vet's and I have a week at a stables booked for October. I am also hopeful that I can get some dairy in half term as well. I am quite sure that I will be able to some WE in the UK, as I am starting boarding school there next week.

I will be doing the IB with HL chemistry, biology and maths and SL English lit, Latin and history. I know the IB is a bit atypical for a vet med applicant but my parents really wanted me to take it to keep my options open. I am hoping I will be able to use WE for CAS.
Original post by dutchette7
Hi guys :smile:I've been lurking around this thread for a while and I thought I would finally say hi!

I'm an EU student hoping to apply to vet med in the UK in 2018 as well. It is proving quite difficult to do work experience in the Netherlands, especially at a vet's, because it is very uncommon to do WE here. It has changed this year, but it used to be a lottery system to get into vet med. So far I have gotten only a day at vet's and I have a week at a stables booked for October. I am also hopeful that I can get some dairy in half term as well. I am quite sure that I will be able to some WE in the UK, as I am starting boarding school there next week.

I will be doing the IB with HL chemistry, biology and maths and SL English lit, Latin and history. I know the IB is a bit atypical for a vet med applicant but my parents really wanted me to take it to keep my options open. I am hoping I will be able to use WE for CAS.

Don't worry about taking the IB, plenty of my friends at Nottingham did it :smile: (including people who lived in the uk so had the choice of doing A levels)
It's a bit premature but welcome to the UK!
Don't worry about taking the IB, plenty of my friends at Nottingham did it :smile: (including people who lived in the uk so had the choice of doing A levels)
It's a bit premature but welcome to the UK!

Thank you! It's good to know that other people have successfully applied to vet school with the IB. I was a bit concerned, but hearing that is very encouraging.
Reply 57
Hi, I'm hoping to apply for Veterinary Medicine/Science in 2018 and currently in the process of choosing my AS/A level subjects. I'm 100% doing Biology and Chemistry but a little unsure on my third subject (Maths or Geography).
Would choosing Geography leave me at a disadvantage when it comes to applying?
Any help would be gratefully appreciated, thank you :smile:
Original post by Gles131
Hi, I'm hoping to apply for Veterinary Medicine/Science in 2018 and currently in the process of choosing my AS/A level subjects. I'm 100% doing Biology and Chemistry but a little unsure on my third subject (Maths or Geography).

I'm just going to quote what LTC has said about a 3rd subject which wasn't maths or physics :smile:

The only vet school it would make a difference for is Cambridge. All the others will accept philosophy and you won't be at any disadvantage.As others have said, do the subject you enjoy most and that you're more likely to get a better grade in.

So basically, unless you want to go to Cambridge just go for geography! :h:
Original post by Gles131

Doing geography will not put you at a disadvantage at all! I did geography and AS geology and it didn't go against me. I'd say when choosing you need to consider which one you are likely to do well at but also which one you'll enjoy more- look at the syllabus for geography and maths at your college as the two are very different at A level to what they will have been at GCSE. I loved GCSE physics but despised it at AS level, so I wish I'd looked at the course content more closely

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending