The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ASTK98
680 should be more than good enough for Kings, not sure about Edinburgh though. Btw Kings don't actually have a strict threshold, it's more of a guide. My friends score was below last year's "threshold" for Kings but still got an interview

Oh okay that's good news then, will have to research more about Edinburgh hmmm. Thanks :smile:
What unis can I get into with an average of 650? As I am aware that isn't great! Thankyou

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone want the UKCAT isc 600 book? I've already done the UKCAT so dont need it anymore. (only need to pay postage)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HarrisonGCSE
Mmm, the main problem i have with the UKCAT is how much it is down to luck. Of course, you can prepare for hours and this will certainly help. But, if you get really unlucky with the questions none of that will matter. You could get a load of easy verbal reasoning questions or a load of harder verbal reasoning questions. You could get a load of simple patterns or you could get 10 impossible to solve patterns. What they should really do is standardise the test so everyone sits the same paper (Although not the same :wink:).

For example, they should produce 4 different papers. There are 4 dates in the summer when you can take the ukcat at their centres (With each day having a different paper). Once all the results are in, they compare what people got on each of the papers and therefore weight them (Similar to UMS). Then we get our grades in around late september. It stops this random RNG as everyone is in the same boat, and even if a paper is harder it is weighted so you will be rewarded for the difficulty.

This is exactly why I prefer the BMAT, just one standardised test on which to base every applicant's ability. At the moment, some unis have started to switch over to the BMAT as an entrance exam (Lancaster being the new addition this year). I do believe in a good ten years or so, the BMAT will become more popular among unis than the UKCAT.
Original post by isabella1999
realistically, what UKCAT score do you need for Edinburgh and Kings (to be competitive?) Love both those unis and hoping will do well in UKCAT but worried I will get like 650-700 not sure if that is high enough :frown:

Edinburgh: 720-730

Kings: 690+ (usually)
Original post by studentsixth
Edinburgh: 720-730

Kings: 690+ (usually)

Wow that is mad for Edinburgh and thanks :smile:
QR help please

1) The explanation is area LW - (L-2)(W-2)=40
2W+2L=44
I'm not sure how they got (L-2)(W-2) etc.

2) Why is it 22 + 40 + 28 (where does 28 come from?)
Original post by osayukiigbinoba
QR help please

1) The explanation is area LW - (L-2)(W-2)=40
2W+2L=44
I'm not sure how they got (L-2)(W-2) etc.

2) Why is it 22 + 40 + 28 (where does 28 come from?)

There are 1cm at each side so you need to minus 2 from the length and 2 from the width

28 comes from the direct journey back (if you read the table Reading -> Guildford is 28...)

Let me know if you don't understand and I will annotate the table and show you where to get the numbers from
Original post by Jitesh
There are 1cm at each side so you need to minus 2 from the length and 2 from the width

28 comes from the direct journey back (if you read the table Reading -> Guildford is 28...)

Let me know if you don't understand and I will annotate the table and show you where to get the numbers from

Thank you for replying, could you annotate the table?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by osayukiigbinoba
Thank you for replying, could you annotate the table?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Screenshot_2.png
Hey can someone please tell me if the calculator stays open when you move from question to question?

Or does it close every time you move to the next question? ( I think that's what the ukcat website said)

Thanks x
Guys, my test is in a week and I don't have a provisional license yet and my passport has expired and thats going to take a few weeks to renew. Has this happened to anyone else? What do I do? I'm really panicking The website says that for students taking the test in the UK (me), they can get a letter from their college. Has anyone does this? I'm not sure this will work. Please help.
Original post by Jitesh
Screenshot_2.png

Thank you :smile:
Is medify a real representation of the actual exam or the isc 1000 q book or even parts of it?
Hi guys,
I know this has been asked a lot, but I was wondering how representative the medify question bank for AR is compared to the questions we get in the actual exam. I've seen someone say that medify is easier than the real ones? Is that true?
thank you !
Original post by ASTK98
Sure! This is my first draft. I'll probably make another one on A3 paper once I've finished doing more questions. Excuse my messy writing. 🙈

this is amazing! thank you
Original post by keenlimabean
Hey can someone please tell me if the calculator stays open when you move from question to question?

Or does it close every time you move to the next question? ( I think that's what the ukcat website said)

Thanks x

it closes after every question apparently
Original post by TheChosenOne1
Guys, my test is in a week and I don't have a provisional license yet and my passport has expired and thats going to take a few weeks to renew. Has this happened to anyone else? What do I do? I'm really panicking The website says that for students taking the test in the UK (me), they can get a letter from their college. Has anyone does this? I'm not sure this will work. Please help.

I've had to do this too however my test isn't until the 15th September so for all I know it might not work 😂 just get the letter done and it should be fine for both of us hopefully 😸

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by marsbar3007
Hi guys,
I know this has been asked a lot, but I was wondering how representative the medify question bank for AR is compared to the questions we get in the actual exam. I've seen someone say that medify is easier than the real ones? Is that true?
thank you !

i look at this post everyday and have seen every post aha, the consensus is that most people have found it easier with fairly simple patterns however there is a few who have stated it is harder. best thing to do is to do as much questions as possible so it shouldnt be too difficult, even if it is more difficult patterns in the real thing
Anyone who's done the UKCAT exam, how many questions did you find (roughly) that didn't contain key words in them in the VR section? I.e questions like "which of the following can be concluded from the passage" or "which of the following is the author most likely to agree/disagree with"? Was there a lot of them or only a couple?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending