The Student Room Group

I've always wondered this about remarking...

So let's say you have 3 exam papers in total.
You send papers 1 & 2 off for a remark.
The remark comes back and you're missing 1 mark from your next grade boundary.
Could you then request to remark paper 3?
Original post by Seryv
So let's say you have 3 exam papers in total.
You send papers 1 & 2 off for a remark.
The remark comes back and you're missing 1 mark from your next grade boundary.
Could you then request to remark paper 3?

Only if it's before the deadline for remarks, which is surely passed by the time papers 1 and 2 are remarked (unless you get an early priority remark)
Reply 2
Original post by Laurasaur
Only if it's before the deadline for remarks, which is surely passed by the time papers 1 and 2 are remarked (unless you get an early priority remark)

Well requesting it now is the best time apparently, as most people request it in September. My deadline for my school is the 14th of September. I'm sure that if I made a request tomorrow it would come back by the 12th latest (that's 2 weeks).
I was wondering if I got 3 papers remarked but only 2 of them increased and the other stayed the same but my overall grade went up. Would I get a refund for only the 2 papers or all three.
Also if I got 3 papers remarked and same situation (2 increased one stayed the same) would I only get the refund for the paper that actually caused my grade to go up? So 1 of the papers increased my UMS but didn't make my overall grade go up but because the other paper went up as well this caused my grade to go up. So would I get a refund for both papers or just the one that actually made the overall grade go up. Sorry if I'm repeating things. I try and explain this to people but they don't seem to understand so trying to give examples etc!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by DamnDaniel2
I was wondering if I got 3 papers remarked but only 2 of them increased and the other stayed the same but my overall grade went up. Would I get a refund for only the 2 papers or all three.
Also if I got 3 papers remarked and same situation (2 increased one stayed the same) would I only get the refund for the paper that actually caused my grade to go up? So 1 of the papers increased my UMS but didn't make my overall grade go up but because the other paper went up as well this caused my grade to go up. So would I get a refund for both papers or just the one that actually made the overall grade go up. Sorry if I'm repeating things. I try and explain this to people but they don't seem to understand so trying to give examples etc!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If your grade goes up for that subject, you'll be refunded for all the papers you sent off to get remarked which are relevant to that subject.
Original post by Seryv
If your grade goes up for that subject, you'll be refunded for all the papers you sent off to get remarked which are relevant to that subject.

Thank you so much! Is this for all exam boards and GCSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Seryv
Well requesting it now is the best time apparently, as most people request it in September. My deadline for my school is the 14th of September. I'm sure that if I made a request tomorrow it would come back by the 12th latest (that's 2 weeks).

How many people do you know of in your school that are sending off remarks? Now multiply that by every school in the country, and remember some international students will still do that qualification.

So no, it probably won't be back in 2 weeks. There's a chance it could, but you've also left it a few days so many people will get their requests in before you.
Reply 7
Original post by Seryv

Re-marks can take weeks to come back. And your exams officer may not process the re-mark the day you make the application (many don't return to work until school starts back). You're better off to apply for the remark on all papers at the same time.
Reply 8
Original post by Clemm101
Re-marks can take weeks to come back. And your exams officer may not process the re-mark the day you make the application (many don't return to work until school starts back). You're better off to apply for the remark on all papers at the same time.

That's very risky though... Because it would suck to gain a good amount of marks on 2 papers, then lose the same amount on the third... Welp... I guess sometimes risks are worth taking...
Original post by Clemm101

It should come back in a month though shouldn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think government guidelines say it has to be within 30 days but again it depends how quickly your exams officer processes it. It really depends on how many re-mark applications the boards receive. Remember the deadline is the 20th of September for most boards but school's will probably have an internal deadline of well before that.

Quick Reply

Latest