The Student Room Group

1 mark off pass masters dissertation

So basically, I got 43 (would have been 48 but I had a -5 late penalty) on my masters dissertation first time around and then I got 49 on the resubmission (no late penalty).

My other grades are good, I just completely bit off more than I could chew with the dissertation. I feel like I've been marked rather harshly and I almost feel like there’s no way that the extra 2000 words I put in came to a single extra mark so I'm somewhat considering asking for a remark with a different examiner or something like that but I’ve got no clue if that’s even possible.

I was wondering if there’s any hope that they'll end up rounding it up to 50 so I can pass or if there’s any avenue I can go down to get it up to a pass?

I know different universities might have different policies and I've tried to look but it’s a little difficult to get a straight answer, I’m currently at the University of Nottingham if that's of any help.

Thanks,
Charlie
Reply 1
I'm not sure abut rounding or compensation, usually places won't do that with a dissertation, but your programme admins will know more.

There is next to no chance of it being remarked. It is vanishingly rare that a student can challenge academic judgement.
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
I'm not sure abut rounding or compensation, usually places won't do that with a dissertation, but your programme admins will know more.

There is next to no chance of it being remarked. It is vanishingly rare that a student can challenge academic judgement.

Thank you for the reply.

Thats unfortunate, am I just out of luck then?

Like you suggested, I can contact the programme admins about it, but other than checking to see if they can round it up to 50, is that it? I thought maybe I could contact my supervisor or the person who marked the version that was first submitted or maybe even the module coordinator or something like that and see if theres anything they can do? Or do you think all of this would just be a waste of time?

It just seems really harsh that they would leave it at 49 when I feel like I've definitely added more than enough to bump it from 48 to 50, it just feels like there surely has to be something more that can be done with this because its such a fine margin?

Thanks,
Reply 3
Original post by charlie1086
Thank you for the reply.

Thats unfortunate, am I just out of luck then?

Like you suggested, I can contact the programme admins about it, but other than checking to see if they can round it up to 50, is that it? I thought maybe I could contact my supervisor or the person who marked the version that was first submitted or maybe even the module coordinator or something like that and see if theres anything they can do? Or do you think all of this would just be a waste of time?

It just seems really harsh that they would leave it at 49 when I feel like I've definitely added more than enough to bump it from 48 to 50, it just feels like there surely has to be something more that can be done with this because its such a fine margin?

Thanks,

It will likely have been moderated twice precisely because it is a fine margin. You could ask them if the grade is right, and it is fact worth doing that because mistakes do happen. If the mark is right, then unless you think you've had inadequate supervision, or there's some sort of procedural irregularity, there's not much that you can do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending