The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xJessScott
I have used many different books and watched this thread for a while. Medify is definitely amazing. It's in the same format as ukcat which books don't have I had a problem doing well in the books I was using but couldn't transfer to the computer system. Plus it gets you used to the format and and the onscreen calculator for QR. And it's really cheap too. I was reluctant to buy something like that but I'm really glad I have because I've improved a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it true that medify gives you around 3000 questions along with 3 mock exams? How useful do you find the questions it gives you?
Original post by Harpal10
Did my UKCAT today, quite happy with the results bar the VR, I didn't usually get the band 1 in mocks. QR was a bit easier than mocks but the time pressure got to me a bit. AR was around the same as the mocks, maybe a bit easier too.

VR-580
QR-750
AR-720
SJT-Band 1

Which Uni's are you thinking of applying to? UG or GEM?

If Im not wrong your overall average is approx 684?*
Original post by HarrisonGCSE
A quick question for ppl who have already sat the exam...

1) Can you zoom in (I.e. Cntrl + +/-)?
2) Can you highlight the text (E.g. Drag your cursor whilst left clicking)?

Great Qs.
Original post by Harpal10
Did my UKCAT today, quite happy with the results bar the VR, I didn't usually get the band 1 in mocks. QR was a bit easier than mocks but the time pressure got to me a bit. AR was around the same as the mocks, maybe a bit easier too.

VR-580
QR-750
AR-720
SJT-Band 1

How long were the passages in VR? Roughly the same length as the ones on the UKCAT website or were they really long?
For the Medify mock tests did anyone else find they were so different to the official ukcat mocks in terms of the questions? Because medify mock 1, for AR it only had 50 questions instead of 55 and had none of type 2,3 and 4 and the VR reading comprehension questions didn't have a key words in the actual question(they were all which is true/which one of these is false unlike the official mocks) so I'm a bit confused because people have said on this thread that medify mocks were so much like the real thing.
Original post by Jitesh
The material from Kaplan was alright - the interface doesn't fully mimic the UKCAT. Medify is much more better in terms of material imo for price.

The best thing I got out of the Kaplan course was their SCANS methodology. Even then, this is accessibly so easily online and in fact the ISC guide for AR imo was better.

However, I don't think it was terrible by any margin, just it was quite expensive and definitely not best value for money. But I did benefit from the bit of practice they offered!

However, a lot of people found Kaplan to be amazing. It's good, just doesn't offer anything can't get from the internet or much cheaper

Thank you so much for replying! Did you find the ongoing tuition helpful at all? Or the classroom lessons?
Original post by HarrisonGCSE
A quick question for ppl who have already sat the exam...

1) Can you zoom in (I.e. Cntrl + +/-)?
2) Can you highlight the text (E.g. Drag your cursor whilst left clicking)?

1) I never tried so can't help I'm afraid
2) I don't think you can since I couldn't
Original post by ASTK98
Is it true that medify gives you around 3000 questions along with 3 mock exams? How useful do you find the questions it gives you?

aha yeah if not more than that. ive done just under 1000 questions and used it loads. they give you 3 mocks and mini mocks for each section. with how they did it for every question and tips and stuff honestly really worth the money
Does anyone know when the deciles and that come out this year?
Original post by xJessScott
I have used many different books and watched this thread for a while. Medify is definitely amazing. It's in the same format as ukcat which books don't have I had a problem doing well in the books I was using but couldn't transfer to the computer system. Plus it gets you used to the format and and the onscreen calculator for QR. And it's really cheap too. I was reluctant to buy something like that but I'm really glad I have because I've improved a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile: So the level of difficulty on medify is roughly the same in the real thing?
Anyone using the 1000Q book?
Original post by champ_mc99
Anyone using the 1000Q book?

Yup. Decent book seems like some of the questions are unnecessarily hard tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NAP1029
Does anyone know when the deciles and that come out this year?

After the exam season ends, so somewhere around mid October.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASTK98
Yup. Decent book seems like some of the questions are unnecessarily hard tho

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I was thinking the same. Can you do each QR question in 36 seconds? It seems impossible to me.
Hi everyone, stupid question but can you skip the whole decision making section so the test would finish earlier
Reply 3395
Ok so the nerves are kickin in,

Exam in 24 hours and suddenly I'm going from 670 average to 550 in the medify mocks...WTF.
I'm hoping to God that its just the nerves cuz otherwise....im done for. :frown:
Also, does anyone have a useful pnemonic for Abstract Reasoning (other then SCAN) .It would be reaaaaally hepful
Original post by Pinder_xx
Hi everyone, stupid question but can you skip the whole decision making section so the test would finish earlier

Can't do I'm afraid :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by champ_mc99
Yeah I was thinking the same. Can you do each QR question in 36 seconds? It seems impossible to me.

Some of them yeah, but a lot of them are unrealistically difficult. I did the UKCAT last year and the only thing I remember from that exam was that the QR was significantly easier than any questions I did whilst prepping for the exam so I wouldn't stress too much IMO.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L1234567
Thank you :smile: So the level of difficulty on medify is roughly the same in the real thing?

I haven't done my ukcat yet but apparently so aha. The layout is pretty
Much the same though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have any tips for the quant and verbal sections?
My test is a little under 3 weeks away and I just seem to be scoring significantly lower (in the low 600s) in these sections compared to abstract and SJT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending