The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mbradley42
I'm sure you've already answered this, Ash, but how do the UKCAT requirements differ between Grad and UG Medicine. Are they higher for Grad courses?

I'm a graduate of law (2.1) and hopeful medic and I have just taken my AS exams (predicted A*A* and I already have AABB in original sitting). I was originally going to apply for UG only courses to maximise my chances of getting in.. but do you think if I get a good UKCAT score I would stand a chance of getting into grad med?

Yes there is a BIG difference in the UKCAT requirements for Grad. There is a Graduate entry medicine thread which has a lot of information.*

Also for Grad courses most Uni's don't look at GCSE's or A-Levels.

With a law degree you have a few options Warwick being the 1st that jumps to mind. Warwick have a separate cut off for VR I think it's something like 540 last year. The overall is around 700. But to stand a chance in the other Grad courses 730+ is a comfortable score. Again depends on how well the remaining cohort do, but based on previous years.

Most other Uni's that accept non-science background just look at the overall average such as,*
Cambridge
Newcastle
Nottingham
Southampton
St George’s London
Swansea *

Roughly 700 is an OK score 730+ is a very gapped score for grad. Anything below that would be great for UG but very little chance in grad course. I don't know much about the UG UKCAT score, but I've heard that 600-650 are very good scores. But don't quote me on this.

The problem for Graduate students taking the 5yr course is funding. There is little no help. But the Grad courses are VERY, VERY competitive hence the need of a SUPE HIGH UKCAT score.
I hope that's helped a little. :-)**
Original post by neon_reaper
Did the UKCAT today, posting my scores here for the mocks:

MOCK A: VR = 830, 12 QR = 500, 37 AR = 670, Average: 667
MOCK B: 39 VR = 850, 20 QR = 630, 33 AR = 630, Average: 703
MOCK C: 30 VR = 670, 24 QR = 670, 39 AR = 700, average = 680 (QUITE TIRED)
Medify 1:VR = 800, QR = 800, AR = 750, average = 783
Medify 2:VR = 730, QR = 730, AR = 670, Average = 710
Medify 3:VR = 700, QR = 730, AR = 770, average: 733
Actual: VR = 610, QR = 890, AR = 750, average: 750

As far as the test goes, VR was very difficult as everyone had said. About 8 of the passages went from the top to the bottom of the page, 2 were 3/4 of the page and 1 was between 1/2 and 3/4. For lots of the questions the answers weren't decisive (could've been one of two answers) and from talking to my friends, i think i got quite a hard set of questions (2 or 3 true/false). Frankly i thought i did better than 610.

QR, as everyone said, was easy. Simple maths but sometimes time consuming, quite a lot was repetitive. However some of my friends did get some harder questions on this, so I'm guessing i had an easy set and they had a medium/hard.

AR unlike what most people said, didn't have many simple patterns for me. Quite a few were conditional, some were complex, some had multiple rules, some were very time consuming (number of intersections = number of parallel lines - 2). The simplest one I had was number of segments was even/odd. However this did balance out because I only had 1 set 4, and then three set 2 or 3s which were all quite easy, so altogether I'd say i had a medium set.

And just for anyone that wants a score reference: [without DM]
2015 average = 632.75 [634], 10th decile = 712.5 [713.9 approx]
2014 average = 626.25 [630.3]. 10th decile = 707.5, [711.8 approx]

so Decision Making did pull the scores down ever so slightly, but its pretty insignificant. And the score given is the lowest score you could've got to be in the 10th decile (top 10% of people) so bear in ming the scores on here are not representative. Good luck everyone

Excellent Score Well done!

Having said that your scores for your mocks were really good too! *
Original post by 123ash
Excellent Score Well done!

Having said that your scores for your mocks were really good too! *

And for anyone wondering where their score can get them to:

http://www.blackstonetutors.co.uk/how-universities-use-the-ukcat/how-universities-use-the-ukcat-2016
Original post by xJessScott
a lot of people do mock tests do ok and then really excell in the real thing. apparently it isnt as harshly marked as things like medify etc. honestly just practice as much as you can because you will most likely to much better in the real thing

i can still get student loan with UG and bank loans for fees, ill be a qualified nurse so can work on the side and due to my course finishing in january if i went to do medicine i would be working for 8 months and have money saved and then through summers i can work full time and get lot more money so it should work out ok

my exam is this saturday! the 10th, when is yours?

That is true. There is always the option of working throughout this year to earn enough for the 5yr med.*

Mine is tomorrow, hence the panic earlier. But Im not panicking anymore. I don't think Im going to do that well, so i'm not pressurising myself. Im going to do the best I can and see what will happen. :-)*

I think the average for UG will increase this year too. As so many UG students are excelling Kudos to them!

*Good luck*
(edited 7 years ago)
Did really badly in the UKCAT:
VR: 530
QR: 850
AR: 600
Average: 660
SJ: Band 2
Pretty disappointed with the result.
I wanted to apply to Queen Mary and St George's... do I stand a chance?
GCSE: 6A* 4A
AS: AAAAA
A2: probable predictions A*A*AA
So what would you advise?
I have the book for it but, I was wondering if studying the book alone will be enough?
Original post by mithi98

I don't think thats a bad score for UG Med :-). I know someone who got an offer from Kings with 650 for the UG med last year.
I have the book for it but, I was wondering if studying the book alone will be enough?...
Hey guys, I have the book for it but, I was wondering if studying the book alone will be enough?
Original post by mithi98

You still stand a chance at Queen Mary because your high UCAS tariff will make up for your lowish ukcat, and you should be able to get an interview I'd imagine.
Hey guys, I have the book for UKCAT but, I was wondering if studying the book alone will be enough?
Original post by 123ash
I don't think thats a bad score for UG Med :-). I know someone who got an offer from Kings with 650 for the UG med last year.

Initially I was thinking of King's, Queen Mary and St George's, but after ukcat I was wondering if to apply to King's(extended) and St Georges as I don't think the score is good enough for QM and the standard at King's.
You still stand a chance at Queen Mary because your high UCAS tariff will make up for your lowish ukcat, and you should be able to get an interview I'd imagine.

Thank you! Do you think I stand a chance at St George's or the extended degree at King's?
Original post by mediocreman
Thanks for the response. Are there any other universities that i should look to avoid? Or better universities that i should look at, since my UKcat score is good and it's only just the SJT letting me down?

Pretty sure it's just Edinburgh which are really strict with SJT

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you think about 793 UKCAT and 480 tariff?
Original post by Stone101
the published lowest scores they consider is quite surprising though. my sister is a 3rd year medic at glasgow and she was very surprised to hear about the lowest score that they have said they considered for her year as pretty much everyone she had talked to in her year scored near or above 700. it may be coincidental but it is interesting and strange.

So my 1940 score probably won't make the cut... Applying as a grad and need to stay in Scotland due to funding. Can only apply to Glasgow, Aberdeen and Dundee so i was hoping I would be ok for Glasgow.
Original post by mithi98
Thank you! Do you think I stand a chance at St George's or the extended degree at King's?

Original post by manlike99
What do you think about 793 UKCAT and 480 tariff?
From the 2016 cycle for QMUL:

Top and Bottom examples:
Low Tariff of 410 (144) supported by a high UKCAT of 3,020 (2290-2310)
High Tariff of 987 (391) supporting a low UKCAT of 2,350 (1760)

Mid-range examples:
Tariff 755 (282) UKCAT 2,570 (1930)
Tariff 630 (242) UKCAT 2,690 (2020)
Tariff 550 (216) UKCAT 2,740 (2060)
Tariff 500 (196) UKCAT 2,810 (2130)

Bold is the new tariff, and score excluding Decision Making. And unfortunately i have no idea about St.Georges or Kings sorry, I only know about QMUL because I'm going to apply
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rukia12
I have the book for it but, I was wondering if studying the book alone will be enough?...

Have you done the UKCAT before?

If not I recommend some kind of web platform. It will get you used to the actual format of the test and help with timing which (in my view) is what the test is all about.

I reluctantly paid £25 for 2 weeks of UKCAT Ninja yesterday, but I'm glad I did, it's great. I had been using the 1000Qs book up to that point and the official UKCAT site.
From the 2016 cycle for QMUL:

Top and Bottom examples:
Low Tariff of 410 (144) supported by a high UKCAT of 3,020 (2290-2310)
High Tariff of 987 (391) supporting a low UKCAT of 2,350 (1760)

Mid-range examples:
Tariff 755 (282) UKCAT 2,570 (1930)
Tariff 630 (242) UKCAT 2,690 (2020)
Tariff 550 (216) UKCAT 2,740 (2060)
Tariff 500 (196) UKCAT 2,810 (2130)

Bold is the new tariff, and score excluding Decision Making. And unfortunately i have no idea about St.Georges or Kings sorry, I only know about QMUL because I'm going to apply

Seen that document. I'm just worried that this year more people will have higher tariffs due to higher predictions due to some schools not doing AS levels
Original post by MulbKat
So my 1940 score probably won't make the cut... Applying as a grad and need to stay in Scotland due to funding. Can only apply to Glasgow, Aberdeen and Dundee so i was hoping I would be ok for Glasgow.

There's no harm in applying anyway, don't be discouraged :-) as has been said on here already, many people who post on this forum are the very high achievers because people who score less well may be more shy about disclosing, so it's not fully representative.*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending