The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by manlike99
Seen that document. I'm just worried that this year more people will have higher tariffs due to higher predictions due to some schools not doing AS levels

Yeah I know what you mean. I need 90+ UMS in the exams to get an A* prediction and many people didnt even do the ASs, but:

"UCAS tariff is made up of a number of academic and non-academic qualifications. Applicants are encouraged to review the list of ‘tariffable’ qualifications and must ensure that all qualifications they have taken and/or are taking are listed on their UCAS application in order to be taken into consideration. As well as AS and A2 Levels..."

Anyone that didn't do the ASs formally MAY be at a disadvantage, because they won't receive credible tariff as they actually achieve the qualification. Not sure about this but it follows the logic
Original post by MulbKat
So my 1940 score probably won't make the cut... Applying as a grad and need to stay in Scotland due to funding. Can only apply to Glasgow, Aberdeen and Dundee so i was hoping I would be ok for Glasgow.

no i would still apply because on their website they have said their lowest score they have accepted is something around what you have achieved. also consider the fact that there is now no decision analysis which was usually the section that brought up scores for many people. so in general i believe the ukcat scores will be lower this year. good luck and is st andrews not an option?
Hi, just did UKCAT today. I got an average of 733 and total 2200. I've 9 A* and 1A at GCSE and AAABB at AS, though 1 A was General Studies.
I really want to apply to Newcastle University through their PARTNERS scheme. Is my score good enough for Newcastle?
Also, what other unis would be worth a look at?
Original post by neon_reaper
From the 2016 cycle for QMUL:

Top and Bottom examples:
Low Tariff of 410 (144) supported by a high UKCAT of 3,020 (2290-2310)
High Tariff of 987 (391) supporting a low UKCAT of 2,350 (1760)

Mid-range examples:
Tariff 755 (282) UKCAT 2,570 (1930)
Tariff 630 (242) UKCAT 2,690 (2020)
Tariff 550 (216) UKCAT 2,740 (2060)
Tariff 500 (196) UKCAT 2,810 (2130)

Bold is the new tariff, and score excluding Decision Making. And unfortunately i have no idea about St.Georges or Kings sorry, I only know about QMUL because I'm going to apply

How can you get 280 tariff points when an A* is only 56? and an A is 48. Do GCSE's count?
k people,

I need help! I did the UKCAT today and scored incredibly low (1610 total) but I got band 1 in situational judgement......
Any advice. will any medical schools i the UK accept that?

Thanks.
Original post by neon_reaper
Yeah I know what you mean. I need 90+ UMS in the exams to get an A* prediction and many people didnt even do the ASs, but:

"UCAS tariff is made up of a number of academic and non-academic qualifications. Applicants are encouraged to review the list of ‘tariffable’ qualifications and must ensure that all qualifications they have taken and/or are taking are listed on their UCAS application in order to be taken into consideration. As well as AS and A2 Levels..."

Anyone that didn't do the ASs formally MAY be at a disadvantage, because they won't receive credible tariff as they actually achieve the qualification. Not sure about this but it follows the logic

They only look at the dropped AS though right?
Original post by mearisss
k people,

I need help! I did the UKCAT today and scored incredibly low (1610 total) but I got band 1 in situational judgement......

Thanks.

I'm looking for graduate entry 2.1 in degree + BTEC D*D*D* (NO A levels)
Any information will be greatly appreciated!
Original post by mearisss
k people,

Thanks.

What did you use to practice??
Original post by Kantth1
What did you use to practice??

truth is i left it late and only used the UKCAT official practice exams
Which unis are the heaviest on ukcat???.....and when they say heavy is that applying with 650+ 700+ or even higher???
Original post by nellyelephant
Which unis are the heaviest on ukcat???.....and when they say heavy is that applying with 650+ 700+ or even higher???

Newcastle (and Durham)

Barts if you have a low predicted UCAS tariff.

KCl (I think).

If you didn't have 650+ you'd be disadvantaged with edinburgh as well, and manchester. Probably some others as well..
GUYSS I AM SO STRESSED..

did my UKCAT a few days ago and didnt get that good, averaged at 607 however my stats arent that bad. GCSE: 10A* 1a
As levels AAAA IN bio, chem, maths and econ. ( did PE too but dropped it later on.. so had no qualifications for that )
predictions most likely to be A*A*AA for bio econ maths and chem respectively

was wondering what unis to apply to,

any advise is appreciated
Original post by rainbow_machine
GUYSS I AM SO STRESSED..

did my UKCAT a few days ago and didnt get that good, averaged at 607 however my stats arent that bad. GCSE: 10A* 1a
As levels AAAA IN bio, chem, maths and econ. ( did PE too but dropped it later on.. so had no qualifications for that )

hey!

i'm not sure which unis in particular, but obviously those which don't place a huge emphasis on ukcat. also look into bmat, as your super strong academic profile looks like it would go down really well with bmat unis, as well as other unis which really look at academics!
Original post by Unknown_12345
hey!

i'm not sure which unis in particular, but obviously those which don't place a huge emphasis on ukcat. also look into bmat, as your super strong academic profile looks like it would go down really well with bmat unis, as well as other unis which really look at academics!

I agree with you however i heard that UKCAT scores and BMAT scores correlate quite well, so am a bit scared whether BMAT will go as bad as my UKCAT :frown:
Literally am so disappointed with the score!!
Original post by GetOverHere
Why would I lie to you? That doesn't benefit me or you. This is verbatim from the admission tutor when I asked him about it. Whether they've changed it due to removing 900 from the overall score due to removing Decision Analysis, I'm not sure.

But by saying 540 = 720, you're ignoring how Birmingham uses your result. They don't take your average, they take your overall. That's how it's done. Consider it in terms of your overall score, not your average, because that's not how Birmingham does it.

EDIT: Just making sure you know, but this is for Dentistry, not sure for Medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry I wasn't accusing you of lying if it came across that way. Thank you very much for the help you have given, I was just confused on the scoring system.
Original post by rainbow_machine
GUYSS I AM SO STRESSED..

For UKCAT have a look at Cardiff definetly! Also consider QUB and birmingham.

I would advise you to do the BMAT as your academics are really great. Have a look at UCL, leeds, imperial, BSMS, oxford etc. (and no BMAT scores do not correlate to UKCAT scores, they are 2 completely different exams that require completely different skill sets).
Original post by Natalierm2707
For UKCAT have a look at Cardiff definetly! Also consider QUB and birmingham.

I would advise you to do the BMAT as your academics are really great. Have a look at UCL, leeds, imperial, BSMS, oxford etc. (and no BMAT scores do not correlate to UKCAT scores, they are 2 completely different exams that require completely different skill sets).

thank you for your reassurance, i have some hope now! i was really stressing out about UKCAT.
By the way do you think its best to start revising for BMAT? and out of curiosity would the BMAT uni know my UKCAT score even through its of no relevance to the selection criteria ( sorry if it sounds like a stupid q )
Original post by mediocreman
i got 830 in my QR (and 890 in my AR). For qr, the questions were a lot easier than i anticipated. Easier than medify and a lot easier than the official practive mocks and the 600/1000 Q book.

Woah your AR is so good! Was it similar to Medify and how did you do so well in it? Thanks! (sorry if you've been asked this before)
Original post by Stone101
no i would still apply because on their website they have said their lowest score they have accepted is something around what you have achieved. also consider the fact that there is now no decision analysis which was usually the section that brought up scores for many people. so in general i believe the ukcat scores will be lower this year. good luck and is st andrews not an option?

I am definitely still applying to Glasgow, but after having read some FOIs on Glasgow Uni UKCAT, it looks like the lower scores have tended to come from 'REACH' applicants - a widening access participation programme. It's bizarre that the UKCAT, which is allegedly meant to level the playing field for access to medicine across society, clearly has some shortcomings ;-)
But all I can do is hope at this stage :-)

For St. Andrews as my degree is over five years ago, they won't consider me at all.
Original post by Fleuves
There's no harm in applying anyway, don't be discouraged :-) as has been said on here already, many people who post on this forum are the very high achievers because people who score less well may be more shy about disclosing, so it's not fully representative.*

I definitely shall be applying anyway, I am ok with my score, just not how universities use it :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending