The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Guys, how are the SJT bands calculated? Is there any way I could get an approximation of my band when I do the Medify (40Qs) practice tests?
how long have people taken to prepare? I have roughly 5/6 full days going on holiday then come back for another 3/4 days. Are people taking like 3/4weeks to revise ?
Original post by usa-apple
how long have people taken to prepare? I have roughly 5/6 full days going on holiday then come back for another 3/4 days. Are people taking like 3/4weeks to revise ?

I found that a month was sufficient for revision. I also went on holiday in that month, and revised for an hour or so a day whilst I was on holiday. I'd recommend you do the same, so the techniques don't desert you due to you taking a break, but you're still able to enjoy yourself and whatnot. It might sound stupid, but this is your future and you can't afford to take a chance on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey a couple of questions,

-I just completed medify mock 1 and achieved an average score of 720, how similar is this mock to the real thing?

-Also this is probably a stupid question lol, but are people actually answering any of the questions in the decision making section? I know that it's not getting marked so I'm planning on completely skipping it, but I was just curious as to whether or not people were answering the questions...
Original post by Jammie123
Hello, well done to everyone on their results!

I just sat my UKCAT today and got 770 average.
VR: 610
QR: 800
AR: 900
Band 2

I used UKCAT Ninja, Medify and the Offical UKCAT practice questions and tests.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

Good luck to everyone :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a few questions Is it worth buying the UKCAT Ninja susbcription? i only have 9 days left till my exam. I have used up all my medify questions apart from the mocks. I have some of the 600 question book left to finish and 2 UKCAT mocks left. Also what do you think i should do in these last 9 days build up to the exam? i manage to get 60% of the AR right, 70% of VR and 60% of QR on the prarctice tests
Original post by GetOverHere
I found that a month was sufficient for revision. I also went on holiday in that month, and revised for an hour or so a day whilst I was on holiday. I'd recommend you do the same, so the techniques don't desert you due to you taking a break, but you're still able to enjoy yourself and whatnot. It might sound stupid, but this is your future and you can't afford to take a chance on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What was your score if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Original post by lahigueraxxx
What was your score if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

This was for last year, but I got 702.5 (I think VR 760 QR 740 AR 660 and DA 650, can't remember exactly) and Band 3 haha. Nothing special but above average so I was happy. Got me interviews and offers at Kings, Cardiff and Birmingham for Dentistry, in addition to the other parts of my application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was pleasantly surprised to be honest! My technique was rather random initially. During my practice I had made a list of all the patterns that I came across and then just the night before looked over them. I did mentally kick myself for going to count as soon as see the pattern, but actually numerous of my patterns were number related as the basis for the rule.

Offical Mock A was horrific for me, scared me a little to do more. Can't remember what results I got, I'd have to check my spreadsheet.

Definitely recommend UKCAT Ninja and Medify for AR, books are not as effective for AR in my opinion.

Hey! Can you provide the list of patterns that you made?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GetOverHere
This was for last year, but I got 702.5 (I think VR 760 QR 740 AR 660 and DA 650, can't remember exactly) and Band 3 haha. Nothing special but above average so I was happy. Got me interviews and offers at Kings, Cardiff and Birmingham for Dentistry, in addition to the other parts of my application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Amazing score! I'd be so happy with that - well done :smile: My UKCAT is on the 20th and I'm also applying to do dentistry haha, I really hope it goes well
Original post by zoemccarthy34
Thank you. Did you use medify and if so what did you get in their mocks?

No I didn't use medify so I can't say whether or not it is helpful, but a lot of people on here are recommending it! However, I did calculate my score from all three mocks on the UKCAT website using the scoring system in the back of the 1000Q book. Personally I think it's all to do with which questions you're given and it's partly down to luck (when practising my strong points were VR and AR but the majority of my questions for those in the real thing were long and complex). Also make sure you practise getting into a good mental state so you're calm going in as panicking will just cause you to waste time. Good luck for yours when you have it!
just a quick question for those who have done their exam... were the AR patterns easy to identify. where there many conditional patterns?
Original post by jayeshforce1
I have a few questions Is it worth buying the UKCAT Ninja susbcription? i only have 9 days left till my exam. I have used up all my medify questions apart from the mocks. I have some of the 600 question book left to finish and 2 UKCAT mocks left. Also what do you think i should do in these last 9 days build up to the exam? i manage to get 60% of the AR right, 70% of VR and 60% of QR on the prarctice tests

I only just did my UKCAT this week, so I'm not a very experienced source, but I would suggest doing the bits you find hardest in the exam and polish your timing up so that there won't be any nasty surprises on the day. Also, ease up a bit on the practice a few days before the exam so that you aren't sick to death of the UKCAT questions. I'll also add that you may not want to bother looking at the percentages too much (if you're using the medify stats at least) as they are very dependent upon the questions you'll get on the day. For example, I got 74% avg on the medify VR, which was my highest scoring section, but on the day it was my lowest (680).

Hope this helps!
Reply 4352
Hi guys, just did my ukcat today and scored a 690 average, and band 1 SJT. Was wondering what are my chances for applying to the ukcat unis?

Sorry for the late reply! I would definitely recommend it personally, it was really beneficial and I feel was the best representation of the actual UKCAT exam this year. I would start doing mocks by spacing them out throughout your last nine days.
Original post by Selgomez11
Hey! Can you provide the list of patterns that you made?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The best practice is going through the patterns and making the list yourself, since then you can include the ones that you are not sure about and all the ones that you found most difficult; personalizing your revising.
Hello - just wanted to ask, what did people get on their medify 2 mock ??? Thanks
Original post by marsbar3007
Hello - just wanted to ask, what did people get on their medify 2 mock ??? Thanks

Got 653 average in the mock.
VR: 630
QR: 600
AR: 730

Wasn't very representative I don't think, however, I could be wrong because to be completely honest all the mocks and what they were like have kind of all mushed up after doing so many. :smile:
Original post by lahigueraxxx
Amazing score! I'd be so happy with that - well done :smile: My UKCAT is on the 20th and I'm also applying to do dentistry haha, I really hope it goes well

Thanks! I'm sure you'll do great, PM me if you need any more help c:
If you dont mind me asking, which schools actually don't look heavily at GCSE's and A-Levels?

Applying as a graduate I'm applying to Newcastle who don't look, Warwick who don't look and queen Mary who require B in chemistry and biology if your degree doesn't have aspects of them both but they have degree checker which my degree of adult nursing doesn't require back up so won't look either. Pretty sure Cardiff don't either but they do bmat I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got 653 average in the mock.
VR: 630
QR: 600
AR: 730

Wasn't very representative I don't think, however, I could be wrong because to be completely honest all the mocks and what they were like have kind of all mushed up after doing so many. :smile:

Thanks for replying! Congrats on your actual score btw - it was amazing.
How many mocks did you do in total?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending