The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jammie123
I finished in time, but there were a few questions that I would liked to have gone back on that I did guess.

Okay thank you so much!
Hey guys, I'm in yr 13 and like many others was hoping for applying medicine. I have pleanty of work experience and have reflected on them to create a good ps and GCSEs are 7A* 2A 1B(French) and alevel prediction of A*A*A in bio,chem maths respectively. But did my UKCAT and only got 635 average (kind of had a bad day) so kinda unsure about where my chances lie anymore in medicine. Definitely considering doing BMAT but I would appreciate it if ppl know what unis would be best for me to apply to with my stats??
Original post by Basdemraj
Hey guys, I'm in yr 13 and like many others was hoping for applying medicine. I have pleanty of work experience and have reflected on them to create a good ps and GCSEs are 7A* 2A 1B(French) and alevel prediction of A*A*A in bio,chem maths respectively. But did my UKCAT and only got 635 average (kind of had a bad day) so kinda unsure about where my chances lie anymore in medicine. Definitely considering doing BMAT but I would appreciate it if ppl know what unis would be best for me to apply to with my stats??

Keele would be one that suits you I think.
Can anyone explain the Medify mock scoring. I took the Verbal Reasoning mini mock and scored 900 despite only answering 25 out of 44 (due to timing) although I got all correct.
I wouldn't have thought just over half could score 900 so I assume a glitch?
Original post by ASupertramp
Can anyone explain the Medify mock scoring. I took the Verbal Reasoning mini mock and scored 900 despite only answering 25 out of 44 (due to timing) although I got all correct.
I wouldn't have thought just over half could score 900 so I assume a glitch?

Yeah lol most probably
Original post by Niraxas
Yeah lol most probably

Or, we could kid ourselves into thinking half correct = 100%!
I have exactly one week left i kinda went through the ISC 1000q book once and the 1200q uniadmissions book once. These 7 days left I was wondering if I should just do medify practice questions completely with mocksor do both the books completely once again and then do mocks and just do medify in the time left... Hoping those who took the test and have experience with the book and medify could help me out so I can plan this out
Original post by Niraxas
I have exactly one week left i kinda went through the ISC 1000q book once and the 1200q uniadmissions book once. These 7 days left I was wondering if I should just do medify practice questions completely with mocksor do both the books completely once again and then do mocks and just do medify in the time left... Hoping those who took the test and have experience with the book and medify could help me out so I can plan this out

I would highly recommend medify, I only used it for a week and it really helped me work on timings for the real thing. I would advise not doing absolutely everything physically possible in the last week left as you will be so sick of UKCAT questions by the time the exam comes around.

It depends on how you like to practice, but I'd recommend doing the medify time trials (up to 40qus) a few times a day to get used to the amount of time you will need to concentrate for. But be warned, the medify QR is, in my opinion, harder than the real thing so don't stress out too much if it seems tricky.
Original post by HMarles
I would highly recommend medify, I only used it for a week and it really helped me work on timings for the real thing. I would advise not doing absolutely everything physically possible in the last week left as you will be so sick of UKCAT questions by the time the exam comes around.

It depends on how you like to practice, but I'd recommend doing the medify time trials (up to 40qus) a few times a day to get used to the amount of time you will need to concentrate for. But be warned, the medify QR is, in my opinion, harder than the real thing so don't stress out too much if it seems tricky.

Heyy thanks a lot for the quick response :') I was wondering the same that if i start doing those books ill lose whatev familiarity i have with using the num calc and the interface plus timings would seem weird later on. The QR in the books is like WAYYYY harder than Medify lol xD Thanks again I'll stick to doing all the practice questions first and then do the mocks and specific section timed parts ^_^ How did you do btw?
Guys are there any unis that credit/value A* predictions/achieved grades at a2.

I've achieved A*A* A at a2. But I have a further C at as level :/. Haven't don't he ukcat yet, I've got it coming up next week. But I've been averaging out at around 670 band 2. My gcse: 6.5A* 5A.

I'd appreciate any help/tips. Also if anyone has a a medify account/subscription that they're not using anymore bc they've done their test, is it possible to share it with me? I'm not expecting anyone to say yes, but it was worth a try bc im running out of material and still struggling.
Original post by Niraxas
Heyy thanks a lot for the quick response :':wink: I was wondering the same that if i start doing those books ill lose whatev familiarity i have with using the num calc and the interface plus timings would seem weird later on. The QR in the books is like WAYYYY harder than Medify lol xD Thanks again I'll stick to doing all the practice questions first and then do the mocks and specific section timed parts ^_^ How did you do btw?

Sounds like a plan. Top tip, don't stress out too much :smile: Just have a look at what needs more work and prioritise it and polish it up using medify. It's a great tool.

I did OK. I was a bit ill and got a bad VR but was fine otherwise.
VR: 680
QR:850
AR:690
SJ: Band 2 :/
Avg: 740
Original post by HMarles
Sounds like a plan. Top tip, don't stress out too much :smile: Just have a look at what needs more work and prioritise it and polish it up using medify. It's a great tool.

Thats pretty damn good lol especially that QR 850. I was a bit worried about medify QR since the questions took a while to read as they had long paras and stuff VR is my main weakness too. Goodluck on your med school applications.
Original post by HMarles

Congrats and I hope you feel better now. How did you manage that for VR? When I see the long questions I switch off. :/
Original post by KB_97
Guys are there any unis that credit/value A* predictions/achieved grades at a2.

I've achieved A*A* A at a2. But I have a further C at as level :/. Haven't don't he ukcat yet, I've got it coming up next week. But I've been averaging out at around 670 band 2. My gcse: 6.5A* 5A.

I'd appreciate any help/tips. Also if anyone has a a medify account/subscription that they're not using anymore bc they've done their test, is it possible to share it with me? I'm not expecting anyone to say yes, but it was worth a try bc im running out of material and still struggling.

Check each university's requirements for A levels and if they want a B in the AS subject that you dropped then don't apply to it. There are Unis that accept a C I believe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zarabegum12
Q1) The passages were long and obscure (to me anyway) I scored 600, which is just above half right. Most the passaes were 3 - 4 paragraphs long.
Q2) QR questions were easy but really long.
Q3) I got band 3 for SJ which is about 50% right i think. To get band 2, you'd need about 65 -75%

What do you mean by 'long' for qr, please elaborate, long working out or long paragraphs
Original post by HMarles

wow.. good score!
What was your VR technique?
Does anyone know if the averages and deciles for this year's UKCAT have been released yet? :smile:
Is anyone else finding the QR section in the medify mocks difficult? I find the calculations quite long and always run out of time.
Original post by JustWondering98
Does anyone know if the averages and deciles for this year's UKCAT have been released yet? :smile:

I think they get released once everyone's done the exam so should be early october if I'm not mistaken
Original post by Lostperson
wow.. good score!
What was your VR technique?

For t/f/ct questions I ALWAYS read the question first so I knew exactly what to look out for. For the other type, I skim read the whole passage and made a mental note of where everything was and went from there.

A bit vague, I know, but I didn't think too much about it

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending