The Student Room Group

Are my Gcse's good enough for economics?

I have just sat my GCSE's and I have done alright, I got 3As 2Bs and 5Cs. (My 3As were in Maths ,Additional Science and Economics and I got a C in English Language. ) I am now doing AS Levels and studying Biology Chemistry Maths and Economics in Sixth Form. Am I still able to go to a russell group university and study economics as I am very passionate about it and loved the GCSE.

What AS and A Level grades should I be achieving to stand a chance?
What should I also do to help my chances to succeed in doing a economics degree? (Outside of school )
Reply 1
Original post by Jordan_Johnson
I have just sat my GCSE's and I have done alright, I got 3As 2Bs and 5Cs. (My 3As were in Maths ,Additional Science and Economics and I got a C in English Language. ) I am now doing AS Levels and studying Biology Chemistry Maths and Economics in Sixth Form. Am I still able to go to a russell group university and study economics as I am very passionate about it and loved the GCSE.

What should I also do to help my chances to succeed in doing a economics degree? (Outside of school )

Depends which Russell Group uni you want to go to. Lowest entry requirements I've seen are around ABB at A Level.
Reply 2

What should I also do to help my chances to succeed in doing an economics degree? (Outside of school )

Hello, Well done on your results. The vast majority of universities will look at your A levels first and then only look at your GCSE's as secondary. For example, if you get A* in economics , they won't mind about the C in English Language. Check the course requirements before applying though and phone and ask if you have any questions. I can't say what grades they want but expect a few A's as a minimum.

Do lots of wider reading and know current economic statistics! Also, have opinions on current events!`
I made a mistake in my information as I only got a B in economics, will that affect me alot ?
didn't do economics @ gcse and i got an a in maths and i got a b in as so...
I made a mistake in my information as I only got a B in economics, will that affect me alot ?
Reply 5

Tbh, if you get a good set of A-Levels results (AAAA), then I'm certain that you'll be able to study Economics at a good RG University. Just make sure to put in the effort for the next 2 years. Anything is possible.

Quick Reply

Latest