The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lostperson
did this work well for you jammie :smile:?

It was good initially for practice, but once you're familiar with patterns recognising them is easier and does not require a mnemonic.
Original post by michaela__
that is amazing well done!!! what resources did you use and how much revision did you do?

2 hours a day for a month most useful resource was medify. Day before didn't do nothing and just in general try and use the 'skills' that the UKCAT assesses everyday. Those skills are for you to figure out
Reply 4502
Original post by Jammie123
Thank you!

QR is more about speed and accuracy. If the question is very long and includes a lot of words I just GFS it and carried on.

Medify is a good rough guide for how the teat is! I honestly 100% recommend UKCAT Ninja that was best representative for the test along with the official UKCAT questions.

Start practicing getting faster using the keyboard for the calculator and simple mental maths. Round up and down as well to make it easier for you. Also check the range of answer options. If there are very close together need to use calculator!

I recommend getting your hands on as many questions and just practicing. UKCAT is nothing like GCSE and a level however the more you practice the better the outcome! You might not see the improvement immediately or in mocks but it'll pay off I believe.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much xxxxx
Reply 4503
OMG someone please help me. My exam is tomorrow
I cant remember what i got in official mock tests but I think high 500s/low600s
Medify mock 1:VR-770QR-650AR-650
SJT_Band 1

Medify Mock 2VR-600QR-630AR-700
SJT-Band 2

Medify Mock 3VR-570 QR-600
AR-730
SJT-Band 2

I AM FREAKING OUT!!!! I really wanted a score of 700 avg and it doesnt look like I'm gonna get. My QR is particularlybad and my VR is all over the place. Sometimes I'm super happy and other times I flop. Please help me
Original post by marsbar3007
yess! Medify is really good and you can get a lot done in two weeks.

Thanks! :smile: I'm doing the 10 question timed practices for VR but I'm doing awful cant seem to do the type 2 questions well under timed conditions do you have any tips?
Original post by aamin96
Thanks! :smile: I'm doing the 10 question timed practices for VR but I'm doing awful cant seem to do the type 2 questions well under timed conditions do you have any tips?

Yeah type 2 questions are a real pain. Sometimes the question will give you four options about one topic - you can scan for that topic in the passage and read to figure out which answer will be best suited.
In questions where it says which one of the following is true/false, sometimes two or three options will have a keyword in common, so I'd say quickly look at the other options and then scan for the most common keyword to eliminate as many options as possible. Other times you won't have any of these options and will have to look at each option individually - I'd say have a go at these kinds of questions but don't spend too long - you can always flag and come back if you have time. Quite often you may run out of time and not be able to do 3-4 questions - questions which could have been easy marks, which is always sad haha.
As you can see, keywords are our best friends haha :-P
Also, this kind of applies to all the sections - try to focus on either accuracy or speed at one point (depending on how long you have left).

hope that helps! :smile:
Hey everyone, I've got my test in a couple of days and I'm REALLY struggling with keeping in time for quantative reasoning, does anyone have any tips? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Holly Anne
Hey everyone, I've got my test in a couple of days and I'm REALLY struggling with keeping in time for quantative reasoning, does anyone have any tips? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Minimise using the calculator as many questions can be answered without it by simply eyeballing.
When you do need to use the calculator, use the keyboard not the mouse by using number lock
During decision making section, write down the key formulas on the whiteboard ready such as speed=distance/time
Always read the question first as most of the data is a waste of time to read, a lot of questions are basic 1 step problems
basically just practice soon much like do 100 questions in 1 day just on QR aiming to get each question done under 40 secs
Btw luckily this year you get 24 mins for QR, last year was only 22 mins!
Oh and if you are still not good with timing you may decide to skip a stem that is very time consuming, guess it flag and move on.
There are also a lot of misleading resources for QR! such as 1000 question book and some questions on medify, the best for QR is kaplan!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mathsmad123
Minimise using the calculator as many questions can be answered without it by simply eyeballing.
When you do need to use the calculator, use the keyboard not the mouse by using number lock
During decision making section, write down the key formulas on the whiteboard ready such as speed=distance/time
Always read the question first as most of the data is a waste of time to read, a lot of questions are basic 1 step problems
basically just practice soon much like do 100 questions in 1 day just on QR aiming to get each question done under 40 secs
Btw luckily this year you get 24 mins for QR, last year was only 22 mins!
Oh and if you are still not good with timing you may decide to skip a stem that is very time consuming, guess it flag and move on.
There are also a lot of misleading resources for QR! such as 1000 question book and some questions on medify, the best for QR is kaplan!

Thanks! That's really helpful :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone!
I have the exam this saturday but im still getting in the 500-600's in the mocks im doing, so any tips would be helpful? Also is the UKCAT ninja only representative of the QR section or the rest of the exam? Please reply!

Thanks xx
690 Average VR- 550 (I know....)QR- 790AR- 720SJT- Band 1What are my options? I feel that the 550 may cost me a lot.......Initially I was thinking KCL, Barts. But not sure anymore..... I`ve got good GCSE`s and strong A level predictions as well as a fair bit of extracurricular. Suggestions are appreciated, also any questions regarding how useful medify mocks are etc, PM me. :smile:
Hi everyone, was just wondering whether anyone knows how to use the percentage key button on the ukcat calculator? I assumed it would be the same as how the windows calculator works but apparently not... Thanks in advance :smile:
edit: It seems like the key works like it does on the medify calculator but when I got on the official one http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/tour/calc.htm
(edited 7 years ago)
Does anyone know any ways of definitely improving?? I've only used medify.com so far as lots of people recommended it even though it's kinda pricey. I've seen recommendations for 1000qs, kaplan and completemedguide.com but not sure if they're worth it and they're not mentioned as often as medify.com. I'm on a restricted budget so I'd rather not roll the dice.
Original post by imnotsure
690 Average VR- 550 (I know....)QR- 790AR- 720SJT- Band 1What are my options? I feel that the 550 may cost me a lot.......Initially I was thinking KCL, Barts. But not sure anymore..... I`ve got good GCSE`s and strong A level predictions as well as a fair bit of extracurricular. Suggestions are appreciated, also any questions regarding how useful medify mocks are etc, PM me. :smile:

as an undergrad you are fine. If you have a strong tariff then you can apply to barts.
Maths is a massive weakness for me , I'm currently scoring 670 plus on both AR and VR in practices and mocks but like 450 for the QR. Would anyone be able to provide me with some formulas that I can memorise and then write down on my white board? (Probably doesn't help I'm a graduate and haven't even looked at maths since I was 16)
Reply 4515
URGENT HELP NEEDED OMG someone please help me. My exam is tomorrow
I cant remember what i got in official mock tests but I think high 500s/low600s
Medify mock 1:VR-770QR-650AR-650
SJT_Band 1

Medify Mock 2VR-600QR-630AR-700
SJT-Band 2

Medify Mock 3VR-570 QR-600
AR-730
SJT-Band 2

I AM FREAKING OUT!!!! I really wanted a score of 700 avg and it doesnt look like I'm gonna get. My QR is particularlybad and my VR is all over the place. Sometimes I'm super happy and other times I flop. Please help me
What are people averaging on VR Medify practice questions? Stuck on 55% for a while now and it's bugging me because it doesn't even seem like anything's improving.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MedApp16
Does anyone know any ways of definitely improving?? I've only used medify.com so far as lots of people recommended it even though it's kinda pricey. I've seen recommendations for 1000qs, kaplan and completemedguide.com but not sure if they're worth it and they're not mentioned as often as medify.com. I'm on a restricted budget so I'd rather not roll the dice.

Sup. What area are you struggling with in particular? I think that will help decide what resources are best because they all have pros and cons.

I've personaly used the complete med guide, medify and 1000q and so far I feel they do a good job alongisde each other. Tips and questions side by side. For me they are all worth the money cos medify kinda has non existent tips which the complete gudie covers. But complete med guide doesn't really have questions.... I haven't sat the real thing yet though so who knows haha. If you want i can send you some links to free practice questions but id stick with legit resources
Original post by ASTK98
What are people averaging on VR Medify practice questions? Stuck on 55% for a while now and it's bugging me because it doesn't even seem like anything's improving.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm on 72.6% after finishing all the stems but I'm still not absolutely amazing at it so I still have work to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Best advice I can give: Stop looking up at the clock, do what it is doing. Keep going! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending