The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Your work experience and volunteering looks great so deffo try for Bristol. Your UKCAT score should pull you through for Bristol provided you personal statement is very good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did my test yesterday and got 693 average.

VR: 500. The passages weren't any longer than medify for me but just had more paragraphs. Initially, I used the reading the question first and scanning for keywords approach during my practice but later got convinced into skimming the passages really quickly with alright comprehension and hoping for the best as I thought most of the questions were inference questions without any keywords. I was wrong obviously and should have used the former approach in hindsight. I was getting around 550 - 670 in mocks.

QR: 720. I was expecting QR to be straightforward and way easier from comments here but that was not the case for me at all. I'm pretty good at maths so I got 720 but they were not easy and I had to guess loads. I was getting around the same score in mocks.

AR: 860. Yeah really easy, there was only one set that I didn't manage to get which I subsequently skipped. I still had about 4 minutes to check all of the other questions tho. I was getting around 700 -750 in mocks.

SJT: Band 1. very easy. Read the good medical practice and just know stuff.

Not sure if it will be at all helpful but I have Medify for 3 more days which is just going to waste. I've done all the mocks but If you want the account to practice please PM me.
Original post by swopnil

VR: 500. The passages weren't any longer than medify for me but just had more paragraphs. Initially, I used the reading the question first and scanning for keywords approach during my practice but later got convinced into skimming the passages really quickly with alright comprehension and hoping for the best as I thought most of the questions were inference questions without any keywords. I was wrong obviously and should have used the former approach in hindsight. I was getting around 550 - 670 in mocks.

QR: 720. I was expecting QR to be straightforward and way easier from comments here but that was not the case for me at all. I'm pretty good at maths so I got 720 but they were not easy and I had to guess loads. I was getting around the same score in mocks.

AR: 860. Yeah really easy, there was only one set that I didn't manage to get which I subsequently skipped. I still had about 4 minutes to check all of the other questions tho. I was getting around 700 -750 in mocks.

Not sure if it will be at all helpful but I have Medify for 3 more days which is just going to waste. I've done all the mocks but If you want the account to practice please PM me.

Hi

How much would you recommend revising a day before the actual exam if the exam is in the morning the next day and you have the whole previous day. I have a 1 medify mock and 2 UKCAT mocks left. What would be a good option in your opinion?
Original post by BFCBP
Having done mine two days ago, I would strongly recommend that you try to finish every section and have an answer for every question (even if some are guessed, that's fine), having some luxury time to look over some. Use the flag for review button for harder questions to go back to them if you've taken a guess. But yeah I think it's better if you get through them all and guess the hard ones if need to rather than attempt all of them and have to guess randomly the last 5-10 questions. Guarantees you more of the easy marks at least going through them all and trying those you can do first. Hope this helps!

Thanks! Will bear this in mind during practice
Anyone know how many true/false/cant tell sets they are in the real thing is it hopefully its the same as the mocks ive been doing which is always 4
Original post by swopnil

Nice!

I am so screwed for Abstract! Please help with that section at all?
How much would you recommend revising a day before the actual exam if the exam is in the morning the next day and you have the whole previous day. I have a 1 medify mock and 2 UKCAT mocks left. What would be a good option in your opinion?
Original post by swopnil

Well done! Any advice on AR?
Reply 4868
Original post by deathbeforeimmortality

Don't count the shapes first. Don't panic and try to just take 30s to find the pattern and around 5-10s per shape set!! If you find a basic pattern and feel like there might be more, just go with it for now and flag it if you have time, you might be able to find more factors at the end!
Original post by smoggie98
Anyone know how many true/false/cant tell sets they are in the real thing is it hopefully its the same as the mocks ive been doing which is always 4

According to ukcat ninja it's 3 in real terms.

Original post by BFCBP
Don't count the shapes first. Don't panic and try to just take 30s to find the pattern and around 5-10s per shape set!! If you find a basic pattern and feel like there might be more, just go with it for now and flag it if you have time, you might be able to find more factors at the end!

Do you have any tips on how to judge a hard question at first glance?
Original post by .......Jeff458
If I got Kaplan and did the 3 mocks from there would that be a good substitute for the ukcat ninja do you think?

ukcat ninja is free, dont pay for it
Original post by KB_97
Is the quant on UKCAT ninja similar to the real thing?

UKCAT Ninja has easy questions but in the actual exam I got two questions of similar difficulty (easy), however no d=sxt questions ffs. Still do them though, revise ratios, pie charts, averages, percentage change, and simple algebra, my questions incorporated all of those!!!
Original post by MCMXCVIII
Its all about pacing yourself. The more you practice, the faster you'll get. Do as many as you can and guess the rest right at the end especially for VR. But know when to skip hard questions. No point wasting time on a hard question when you can easily do an easier one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For VR i skipped to the t/f/ct questions and then did the rest, so I know i score some easy marks
Original post by smoggie98

I got 3 in the real exam
Original post by swopnil

Your AR score is insane lol. Medify are killing me with their patterns ffs. Hope the actual exam isn't as bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASTK98
Ah fair enough. Cos on medify they often have those weird patterns with like 5/6 different conditions that throw you, like "odd number of shapes, more black than white, triangle and quadrilateral present and circle is striped" or something like that 😂, congrats on your score once again

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is completely unrelated to the thread, but I love your profile pic. Suit is the showw!
Original post by ASTK98
Ah fair enough. Cos on medify they often have those weird patterns with like 5/6 different conditions that throw you, like "odd number of shapes, more black than white, triangle and quadrilateral present and circle is striped" or something like that 😂, congrats on your score once again

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is completely unrelated to the thread, but I love your profile pic. Suit is the showw!
Original post by Bright_Gift

Cheers haha. Harvey is the one - ice cold.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jayeshforce1
Hi

It's up to you really?
My exam was at 9:45 so I left a mock to do during this time on the day before the test. Then I spent the rest of the day reading over the notes I had created and going over strategies for each section. I had one more mock to do so I ended up doing that as well.
In the morning of test day, I did some speed reading on the computer to warm up my brains. lol

Original post by .......Jeff458
Nice!

I am so screwed for Abstract! Please help with that section at all?

Original post by deathbeforeimmortality

Original post by ASTK98
Your AR score is insane lol. Medify are killing me with their patterns ffs. Hope the actual exam isn't as bad.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I did lots of practice for AR and wrote down all of the new pattern that I saw. Just like that, I could then be able to see most of the patterns straightaway with intuition.

The patterns that I couldn't see straight away were those where you had to count obscure things like angles, points, black as 2 - white as 1, etc. or where there was lots of distractions, I noticed. So whenever I was stuck I would look out for these things. For the latter with distractions, I found it useful to pick a shape and see if that shape is found in all of the boxes, then continue on. Often there are patterns like, there is always X and Y shapes present, ignore everything else.

Hope that helps. If you don't get something just skip it, coming back with fresh eyes could be useful.
Did my UKCAT this morning and I got 667 average, 2000 altogether

VR - 700 - I was quite surprised about how easy VR had been for me because everyone said VR was crazy hard in the real thing but it was always my strongest point and in mocks I got about 670 - 700 - the texts were far shorter than on medify and I had about 3 T/F/CT questions and I did feel as it was easy when doing it.

QR - 670 - Again, was surprised because everyone said it was easier in the real thing and that clearly hasn't been reflected....I didn't get any hard questions per se, but I had a lot of multistep questions and ended up having to guess most of them because I was short on time.

AR - 630 - not surprised, had always been my weakest section and in the real thing, I couldn't guess about 75% of the rules and guessed.

I'm just glad it's over and done with but now it means I can't apply to Glasgow but ah well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending