The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nomophobia
did my ukcat this morning and i got 667 average, 2000 altogether

vr - 700 - i was quite surprised about how easy vr had been for me because everyone said vr was crazy hard in the real thing but it was always my strongest point and in mocks i got about 670 - 700 - the texts were far shorter than on medify and i had about 3 t/f/ct questions and i did feel as it was easy when doing it.

Qr - 670 - again, was surprised because everyone said it was easier in the real thing and that clearly hasn't been reflected....i didn't get any hard questions per se, but i had a lot of multistep questions and ended up having to guess most of them because i was short on time.

Ar - 630 - not surprised, had always been my weakest section and in the real thing, i couldn't guess about 75% of the rules and guessed.

I'm just glad it's over and done with but now it means i can't apply to glasgow but ah well.

can someone please lend me their medify account that has done the ukcat and their time hasnt expired yet because i just found out about medify and my test is in two days!
Original post by nomophobia
Did my UKCAT this morning and I got 667 average, 2000 altogether

VR - 700 - I was quite surprised about how easy VR had been for me because everyone said VR was crazy hard in the real thing but it was always my strongest point and in mocks I got about 670 - 700 - the texts were far shorter than on medify and I had about 3 T/F/CT questions and I did feel as it was easy when doing it.

QR - 670 - Again, was surprised because everyone said it was easier in the real thing and that clearly hasn't been reflected....I didn't get any hard questions per se, but I had a lot of multistep questions and ended up having to guess most of them because I was short on time.

AR - 630 - not surprised, had always been my weakest section and in the real thing, I couldn't guess about 75% of the rules and guessed.

I'm just glad it's over and done with but now it means I can't apply to Glasgow but ah well.

Any overall tips? Also did you revise before your exam on the day? what did you do on the day of the exams

Any help is appreciated.
Original post by swopnil
i did my test yesterday and got 693 average.

Vr: 500. The passages weren't any longer than medify for me but just had more paragraphs. Initially, i used the reading the question first and scanning for keywords approach during my practice but later got convinced into skimming the passages really quickly with alright comprehension and hoping for the best as i thought most of the questions were inference questions without any keywords. I was wrong obviously and should have used the former approach in hindsight. I was getting around 550 - 670 in mocks.

Qr: 720. I was expecting qr to be straightforward and way easier from comments here but that was not the case for me at all. I'm pretty good at maths so i got 720 but they were not easy and i had to guess loads. I was getting around the same score in mocks.

Ar: 860. Yeah really easy, there was only one set that i didn't manage to get which i subsequently skipped. I still had about 4 minutes to check all of the other questions tho. I was getting around 700 -750 in mocks.

Sjt: Band 1. Very easy. Read the good medical practice and just know stuff.

Not sure if it will be at all helpful but i have medify for 3 more days which is just going to waste. I've done all the mocks but if you want the account to practice please pm me.

can someone please lend me their medify account that has done the ukcat and their time hasnt expired yet because i just found out about medify and my test is in two days!
Original post by thefailurelife

sure! :smile: check your inbox.

I hope you can still access it as I gave it to someone already.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi guys,

UKCAT: 1990 (663.3 avg.) Band 2
2.1 in biological science-related degree

Does anyone know how useful this might be when applying?

Thinking of applying for the 5 year course.
Also how might this rank up applying for the 4 year GEM course?

I'm thinking Barts and Southampton.
Are there any other universities where this score might be okay?

Thanks for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jayeshforce1
Any overall tips? Also did you revise before your exam on the day? what did you do on the day of the exams

Any help is appreciated.

Practice, practice, practice - and focus on your weaknesses, don't waste time practicing stuff you're good at and while other people's reviews of the UKCAT should be considered, focus on yourself because I ended up having a good VR and a terrible QR when the opposite happened to most people.

I didn't revise for my exam on the day mainly because it was at 8:00am but I do have friends who had theirs at like 5pm and they didn't revise on the day either, you don't want to drain yourself but maybe refresh yourself of formulas for QR and common patterns in AR
Hello!

Sat my UKCAT today, got the following scores:

820 Verbal
750 Quantitative
650 Abstract

Then messed up completely with SJT, somehow came out with band 4. No idea what happened, had been averaging safe band 2 at least in mocks.

What does this mean for me? My average was 740, so pretty strong, but my SJT band messed all that up. Do they cancel each other out? I'm trying to work out my options at the minute, any help is much appreciated, thanks!
Original post by ASTK98
Your AR score is insane lol. Medify are killing me with their patterns ffs. Hope the actual exam isn't as bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me and you both bro!

I HATE THE ABSTRACT. So scared because I was relying on QR but ppl are now saying it was harder than Medify :'( Verbal is already bad for me and abstract is just guessing so I am terrified now!
Original post by ASTK98
Your AR score is insane lol. Medify are killing me with their patterns ffs. Hope the actual exam isn't as bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here, I did the UKCAT AR questions for practice because medify was annoying me, and they seemed so much easier than medify but they were probably weren't 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by .......Jeff458
Me and you both bro!

I HATE THE ABSTRACT. So scared because I was relying on QR but ppl are now saying it was harder than Medify :'( Verbal is already bad for me and abstract is just guessing so I am terrified now!

When's your exam? Yeah I feel like QR and AR drag everyone up but for me that isn't an option so I'm terrified lol 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it just me thats finding they can guess like 10 ish questions (to save time) in VR in the mocks and still get a decent score like 600-650
Me and you both bro!

No way man, trust me QR in the actual thing is WAY easier than medify like trust me. I was getting low 600s in my mocks and was my worst section. On the day I got 750 and ended up being my best section. I wouldn't worry about QR especially if it's already your best section:smile:
[QUOTE=Chvrches;67624020]Hello!

Sat my UKCAT today, got the following scores:

820 Verbal
750 Quantitative
650 Abstract

Then messed up completely with SJT, somehow came out with band 4. No idea what happened, had been averaging safe band 2 at least in mocks.

What does this mean for me? My average was 740, so pretty strong, but my SJT band messed all that up. Do they cancel each other out? I'm trying to work out my options at the minute, any help is much appreciated, thanks!

A lot of unis don't take SJ into consideration in regards to UKCAT score but instead on non academic score. So my advice would be to make sure your no academic part ie work experience, volunteering etc is amazing or to be on the safe side apply for schools that don't need the UKCAT, which I know is frustrating because your score is actually really good, just depends if you want to risk it or not. Or even if you pick half unis that don't need it and half ones that do

Hope this sort of helped
Hi guys I am international student (gap year) applying this year to med schools in the uk. I did IB and i got a great score (40 points) which really opens a lot of med school choices for me in the uk however, I have been practising the ukcat for about a month and i started doing practice mocks today from the ukcat website, i used kaplan and modify as my main resources and they had helped me a lot in my preparation for the ukcat nevertheless i have been getting low scores on the official mock exams, especially on ar and qr which are my best of modify and kaplan, so is the ukcat mock a good represntative of the real thing? cause its just horrible for me
Original post by swopnil
sure! :smile: check your inbox.

I hope you can still access it as I gave it to someone already.

Hi could i borrow it too once the person is done or if someone else has a medify i could use i would be very grateful.
Original post by abzz11
Hi could i borrow it too once the person is done or if someone else has a medify i could use i would be very grateful.

sure. I think you can all access it at the same time. It's only for 3 days tho.
check your pm.
Original post by michaela__
When's your exam? Yeah I feel like QR and AR drag everyone up but for me that isn't an option so I'm terrified lol 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

29th September and this test is killing me! I am actually on medication because the doctor said I am feeling 'very stressed' :frown: I'm guessing that's bad at only 16 hahaha.

QR I feel like I am improving. AR is my worst but just did a mock (guessed more than 75% of the questions) and it was my highest score of 650! Verbal keeps screwing me. Just got 570 :frown: My average is only 617 which is sooo bad cos I need 700+.

I honestly don't know what to do!?

Wbu? When's yours and how you feeling for the sections?

Original post by hopeforunderdog
No way man, trust me QR in the actual thing is WAY easier than medify like trust me. I was getting low 600s in my mocks and was my worst section. On the day I got 750 and ended up being my best section. I wouldn't worry about QR especially if it's already your best section:smile:

I sure hope so!

What tactics for VR?
I usually skip to the T/F/CT questions then come back but for some reason I run out of time before I get a chance to come back around? It takes so long to read the passage :frown:
are there any universities that accept a total score of only 1860 and band 2 SJT?
29th September and this test is killing me! I am actually on medication because the doctor said I am feeling 'very stressed' :frown: I'm guessing that's bad at only 16 hahaha.

QR I feel like I am improving. AR is my worst but just did a mock (guessed more than 75% of the questions) and it was my highest score of 650! Verbal keeps screwing me. Just got 570 :frown: My average is only 617 which is sooo bad cos I need 700+.

I honestly don't know what to do!?

Wbu? When's yours and how you feeling for the sections?

Aw how come you're only 16? haha well done! i guess them all too:biggrin:! I just got 650 on VR as a practice thing just then but it never improves much :frown: yeah i would love 700+ but rn im settled on 630 as i can't see my AR score helping me out at all lol:frown: qr is sometimes okay for me and sometimes bad but the online calculator is so dodgy i hate it and thats why i hate the QR section so much. I really don't understand why we can't get a calculator from the centre, i was reading old threads and they used to be given physical non scientific calculators!! so yeah thats fair:smile: my test is 22nd so thursday next week:frown:
Original post by michaela__
Same here, I did the UKCAT AR questions for practice because medify was annoying me, and they seemed so much easier than medify but they were probably weren't 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

They probably were tbh. I gave up on Medify AR after one of their patterns involved the Fibonacci sequence(?). Some of the patterns are arguably as hard as the 1000Q book.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending