The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by deathbeforeimmortality
Did anyone else find the mocks really difficult? Especially from the UKCAT site?

Yeah they are don't worry, I got like 1850~ in them and got 2230 in the real thing. The verbal is about the same, the maths is substantially easier, and the AR is slightly easier. (This just may be my opinion)
Reply 5721
Hey Guys have you got any advice on the VR comprehension type questions? Can't seem to get the answers withing the time limits
Reply 5722
Hey guys! I'm giving my UKCAT tomorrow and I keep getting less than 2000 in my medify mocks, which is very frustrating at the moment... Any good advice to make me feel a little bit more confident?
Original post by Jackster556
Yeah they are don't worry, I got like 1850~ in them and got 2230 in the real thing. The verbal is about the same, the maths is substantially easier, and the AR is slightly easier. (This just may be my opinion)

Thanks for reassuring me.

I don't feel so bad anymore. How did you prepare for each section?
Original post by Akz18
Hey Guys have you got any advice on the VR comprehension type questions? Can't seem to get the answers withing the time limits

Honestly as everyone else always says - find the keywords.

Also remember not every single question can be done in the 30 seconds and not every single question will take 30 seconds. Don't be afraid to guess and flag the harder questions to come back later.
Original post by Jackster556

How did the actual test compare to Medify mocks if you did them?
Reply 5726
Thank you :smile:
Original post by deathbeforeimmortality
Honestly as everyone else always says - find the keywords.

Also remember not every single question can be done in the 30 seconds and not every single question will take 30 seconds. Don't be afraid to guess and flag the harder questions to come back later.
does anyone here use ukcatninja?? if you do, is there a shortcut on how to bring the calculator up?? i know that on medify it's alt+c but i dont know if ukcatninja has one??

also if you've already done the exam, to clear the calc do u use backspace or esc in the exam???
Original post by mm_7
does anyone here use ukcatninja?? if you do, is there a shortcut on how to bring the calculator up?? i know that on medify it's alt+c but i dont know if ukcatninja has one??

also if you've already done the exam, to clear the calc do u use backspace or esc in the exam???

I could never work out the UKCAT ninja calculator shortcut so I'd just use my mouse. I used backspace in the exam like I was using for medify!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michaela__
I could never work out the UKCAT ninja calculator shortcut so I'd just use my mouse. I used backspace in the exam like I was using for medify!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahh thats greats! thanks, i was starting to panic cuz i have been using the backspace on medify for over 3 weeks and its become a habit now so it would be hard to break esp coz my exam in in a week
Original post by Squishy•
Yeah that's real good, well done! What did u get at AS? Tbh AS don't really do much good unless they're good enough to put in a Reference. As long as ur school predicts high then that should be alright.

You might want to check universities that use subtests scores because VR is a bit low, however VR has been low for everyone this year so you'll be fine probably.

Your ukcat is good for the vast majority of universities.

Oh thank you! Well my AS were CCDD. I'm hoping to retake some modules to get higher grades. And i dont think my teachers will predict high grades for me (I was slacking alot this year compared to GCSE).
Original post by d010534
Omg hey!!
Apparently it's not too bad... Idk how I'm coping with this, personal statement, and trying to find a good uni... Hopefully AR will be alrightish... It's my worst one and the highest I've got is 400 FOUR HUNDRED LIKE OMG I NEED HELP FROM THE LORD HIMSELF... I FEEL YOU BRO

Do you use SCANS? AR is my worst too as I get 0 patterns. It's just ssoooo annoying!
Original post by Jamie_F99
Anyone else find UKCAT official mock B particularly heartbreaking?

Tbh, I got 3 less on average on my mocks between A and B. But I got 551 average for A and 548 average for B so my results are bad enough as it is tbh
Original post by d010534
All of them are heartbreaking :angry::angry:

Yup!
Hey I know it's not UKCAT relevant but this is the most active thread, has most people finished their personal statement?
Original post by .......Jeff458
Do you use SCANS? AR is my worst too as I get 0 patterns. It's just ssoooo annoying!

Tbh, I got 3 less on average on my mocks between A and B. But I got 551 average for A and 548 average for B so my results are bad enough as it is tbh

Yup!

Just done practice test B and got 830 on VR, 700 on QR and 530 on AR :c
so stumped atm
I don't really use SCANS (I probably should tbh) I just look at it and hope I spot something :angry::angry:
Original post by d010534
Just done practice test B and got 830 on VR, 700 on QR and 530 on AR :c
so stumped atm
I don't really use SCANS (I probably should tbh) I just look at it and hope I spot something :angry::angry:

830 is ridiculous. Do you have any tips for vr? As for ar, it really just comes down to practice. SCANS is good. Always spend max 30 sec finding the pattern and dont count first, look at the shapes size etc first.
Original post by cookiemunch12
830 is ridiculous. Do you have any tips for vr? As for ar, it really just comes down to practice. SCANS is good. Always spend max 30 sec finding the pattern and dont count first, look at the shapes size etc first.

Why not count first? Majority of patterns are number based

Counting is the most time consuming and can waste a lot of time, so it is better to quickly go through the others first. I used SSSPN and got 880 in AR. Size, Shape, Shade, Position Number.

Counting takes the longest. Its easier to identify the simple patterns first and discard them rather then counting straight away and then checking everything else. A lot of the time its also multi pattern so its better to identify a general pattern as well e.g. more black then white.
Original post by manlike99
Counting is the most time consuming and can waste a lot of time, so it is better to quickly go through the others first. I used SSSPN and got 880 in AR. Size, Shape, Shade, Position Number.

But like aren't the others easier to tell before you resort to using this anyway?
Original post by manlike99

Thats really good! Any tips for that section? Were the patterns mostly quite obvious?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending