The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathsmad123
Im pretty sure its for borderline cases but not 100% sure since I'm not applying for dentistry. The dentistry cut offs for plymouth are like 580 lmao!

When I hear stuff like that it makes me think how lucky I would be with my ukcat if I was applying for dentistry! But don't know if I could handle teeth all day every day lmao I would just be bored tbh😂 although with dentistry you could go into orthodontics which would be quite cool as I've had braces myself years ago!

Posted from TSR Mobile
any last minute tips for VR? finally got this thing tomorrow! im averaging 550 in medify
Original post by .......Jeff458
Whoah!!! AR+QR Tips pls!!!

KCL, QMUL, Newcastle, Glasgow, St Andrews all need quite high scores. Yours is enough to get u an offer!

Well I only did about 10 hours preparation beforehand using medify.

QR is much easier in the exam, there will be one hard one every 3 or 4 easy ones. If you know a question will take to long guess.
Approximate values as much as you can (Unless the 5 answers are very close together)
Try to do as much mental maths as possible and use the keyboard to type numbers. For averages, I just made an educated guess.

AR I don't know what to say, just count all shapes first, this is the most missed pattern for me. Otherwise just practise the medify AR questions.

Overall, don't worry and take it easy. Don't rush but don't go slow either. I took a break during the DA since it doesn't count and the SJ is easy on time too, so take your time and check over it after.

If you don't do so well, there's always next year and you can apply to Universities which don't focus too much on UKCAT.
Original post by Stone101
any last minute tips for VR? finally got this thing tomorrow! im averaging 550 in medify

QR average atm is 580 overall. Read the question first then scan the passage
Original post by Captain127
hi how did you find the ukcat and medify mocks in comparison to the actual test? I am struggling with UKCAT pratice and doing kind of okay for medify atm just varies a lot... Was the VR and QR text heavy? Was the AR simplistic patterns generally or did it have multiple conditions? Got mine on Saturday and starting to panic! I botched the test last year so hoping this year I can at least get some inverview experience!

I did better in my actual UKcat than all my medify mocks bar one (by a margin). VR was text heavy I'm afraid, in my medify mocks I ranged from 530 to 630. QR was not texty, I got a lot of graphs and tables though. These were easy to follow generally. My medify QR was always 630, so saw a significant improvement in my actual text. If you're getting a decent score in medify for qr I would not fret. I would practice AR from as many sources you can and use SCANs. I might have got a difficult lot because I scored 630-770 in my medify mocks. UKcat official mocks were definitely harder, I got around 630 in A and C (some reason didn't do B mock). I think you'll be fine. I'd always read the answer explanations too they helped me a lot. Best x
Any tips in general? Got mine TOMORROW. BWSDLSUBKSBCKMA,SZ AAAAAAATRGRRHRGRHGRHGRRGHGBIUEVG

HELP

Keep calm...once you're in the test bit, sit down for a bit while the nerves settle, that's what I did before I started. Use decision making time to relax your frazzled noggin after VR. I dwelled on difficult questions on VR so flag the texty ones and smash the tfc ones. Same with QR and AR. Situational judgement... Hard to explain but I place myself as that person and think about how appropriate/important the reaction/thought process is. I got a Band 1 that way. Best x
Which one of the official practice tests was most representative of the real thing? Got mine tomorrow!
Original post by HT98
but I'm a Scottish applicant so I don't do AS or A-levels, I do scottish highers and advanced highers instead, so surely ucas tariff includes highers as well. Anyway I've emailed them to ask if I have calculated my ucas tariff correctly.

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/entry-requirements/tariff/calculator
Use that to calculate. Not sure whether u would get 302 because I don't know how highers work. Don't add two qualifications in the same thing tho, so like an AS is nothing if u have an A2 in it, if there is something like that for highers too.
Original post by Cal1234
Well done, great score! How would you say the test compared to medify for each section and could you share your mock results please, thanks!

Thank you...I'm very happy. The text is generally easier than the Medify Mocks, easier than the official mocks and far easier than the ISC1000 mock.

Here's my scores for Medify mocks (vr, qr, ar, sj)
Actual test for reference: 590,750,650,1

1-600,630,770,1
2-630,630,630,2
3-530,630,700,2

You'll be surprised at how many marks I lost just not reading the question properly! I think I got a rotten lot for the AR. I got a few of those complete the series questions. Though there were some very easy ones, like A had 7 shapes, B had 6 shapes...etc.

Best x
Reply 6149
Original post by Squishy•
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/entry-requirements/tariff/calculator
Use that to calculate. Not sure whether u would get 302 because I don't know how highers work. Don't add two qualifications in the same thing tho, so like an AS is nothing if u have an A2 in it, if there is something like that for highers too.

I would get 238 if I don't count the highers that were the same subjects as the advanced highers. with a ukcat average of 690, what do u think are my chances of an interview at Queen Mary's
I still have 1 day of Medify left and don't want it to go to waste. If anyone wants to use my account please message me!
No one answered my question ! 😞*
Comprehension style questions do you check each option???* I'm really bad at it😱😱😱*
Original post by usa-apple
Comprehension style questions do you check each option???* I'm really bad at it😱😱😱*

It depends

Sometimes the answers don't have obvious keywords in them. If you have time, you can read answer and scan passage. However most times I picked the answer that seemed most plausible, flagged and moved on. I suggest keep practicing timed vr...practice being a scanner!!

Best X
Original post by usa-apple

I did my UKCAT yesterday and got 610 in verbal, I think I was lucky because I got topics that were nice but my top tip would be to spend slightly longer on the first question and familiarise yourself with the text so actually skim read it really roughly to see what each paragraph is about, then on the next questions you have a better idea of where to look! I hope it goes well, good luck!!
Doesn't SJT give half marks?
Original post by WhoDaresWins
Well I got 653.33, there were 3 years where I could have got in and 3 years I couldn't, I hope this year I can Lol

I get a WP flag (and I know you did too) but kinda sucks how it doesn't lower the cut off for us :/

Although my parents didn't go to uni.

Does it change how your application is viewed if your parents didnt go to uni?
Yeah Newcastle is pretty heavy on UKCAT and I do believe Warwick look at your VR score for interview selection and then your overall average after that.

Great score! I am aware King's is HEAVY for UKCAT. People tend to have 700+ plus but I would check cut offs as your score is very good and very close, just make sure you are careful.

@mbradley I am aware that Barts is very UKCAT heavy so make on their website or have a look at the cut offs. I have heard Barts being 700+ before but your score is good so I would check.
You guys all got such amazing scores!!!

If you don't mind me asking, what was so easy about the QR? In Medify I can't break 600 in QR :'( Like I just did the last mock and got 550 on it for QR.

What made it easier in the exam and what scores did you get in mocks if I can ask pls?

Well done once again.

hey thanks for the advice! sorry i'm only getting back to you now.

In the mocks I think I was getting about 70% but then i ran out of time in AR in the real thing. hope you did/do well!!
Reply 6157
I really don't get the Medify dude's explanation for this question. Could anyone explain/break his explanation down for me please?

Cheers.
Original post by kalp
I really don't get the Medify dude's explanation for this question. Could anyone explain/break his explanation down for me please?

Cheers.

Top Black Box moves 1 to the right
Middle Black Box (there is 2 overlapping in the first image) 1 stays fixed and the other moves to the right by 1
Bottom Box moves 2 to the right
Original post by mbradley42
Does it change how your application is viewed if your parents didnt go to uni?

Not sure actually, I don't really think it does.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending