UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Can't think name
Hey guys I just did my ukcat today.
VR 580
QR 780
AR 590
Band 2
Its really not that great and I'm a bit upset even thought I got a 650 average which was much better than my score last yr ( I'm taking a gap year).
My a-levels were A*A*A
Can u please help me with uni choices? Dont think I can apply to Plymouth but is Exeter worth a try?
Please help. Do most unis look at the average or the full breakdown?
I was thinking of applying to Sheffield and Cardiff.
Many thanks

Defo exeter, you will be in the top tier and ukcat won't be applied to you.
Finally sat the dreaded thing today. Really pissed off if I have to be honest:

VR: 560
QR: 690
AR: 600
SJT: Band 2

Average = 617

Really pissed off. It's not a bad score and I am grateful that it's better than my mocks, but I am really upset that I missed my target score of 700 avergae by MILES. I practiced sooo much. The resources for those interested that I used were:
- Kaplan 'score higher on UKCAT' book
- Official Mocks A,B,C
- Medify (ALL practice questions and ALL ocks etc)
- ISC 1000Q book including the mock
- Kaplan online practice test bundle, mocks A,B,C
- UKCAT Ninja
- Blackstone Tutors workbook from course
- UKCAT for Dummies (briefly)
- How to Master UKCAT (briefly)
Would like to say these resources helped but clearly didn't get me what I wanted. The real thing was probably most similar to the Kaplan Book for the QR, Official Mocks for AR, VR Medify.

VR: The passages were nowehre near as long as everybody had been stating. Maybe 4/5 paragraphs on average. But the paragraphs were quite detailed. My main problem here was that alot of the texts were quite complex including the questions. I would have been happier with 600 in this section but 560 isn't far off so can't overly complain.

QR: This screwed me over. After skipping the first 10 questions I was panicking and thinking if they were all that difficult. So I slowed down to answer some. BIG MISTAKE. ALL THE EASY ONES WERE AT THE END. I had two sets on pie charts (near end). Really got pissed off because when i began to guess as time was finishing I saw all the easy ones at the end. I really do mean ALL THE EASY ONES. Was hoping for 750+ in this section so really annoyed but when I came out, considering I skipped so many I wasn't too upset with 690.

AR: WTF. The patterns were so easy I was like YAAAAAS. I come and see I got 600... f**k. Like, I am still confused? The patterns I got all fitted and I genuinely was expecting a minimum of 700 once I finished so 600 was like a dagger in my chest.

SJT: Lots of LONG passages with like 2 questions on it only.

Good luck to everyone still to take it. I am really pissed off and don't actually know what to do. I was hoping to apply to Edinburgh but that's out the window now. I would prefer me to stay in Scotland unless it's like oxbridge etc as I have to pay for my own Uni fees. Would appreciate any help now.

Any questions pls feel free to ask although you probably won't want to considering how much i messed that up :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by .......Jeff458

Average = 627

Really pissed off. It's not a bad score and I am grateful that it's better than my mocks, but I am really upset that I missed my target score of 700 avergae by MILES. I practiced sooo much. The resources for those interested that I used were:
- Official Mocks A,B,C
- UKCAT Ninja
Would like to say these resources helped but clearly didn't get me what I wanted. The real thing was probably most similar to the Kaplan Book for the QR, Official Mocks for AR, VR Medify.

VR: The passages were nowehre near as long as everybody had been stating. Maybe 4/5 paragraphs on average. But the paragraphs were quite detailed. My main problem here was that alot of the texts were quite complex including the questions. I would have been happier with 600 in this section but 560 isn't far off so can't overly complain.

QR: This screwed me over. After skipping the first 10 questions I was panicking and thinking if they were all that difficult. So I slowed down to answer some. BIG MISTAKE. ALL THE EASY ONES WERE AT THE END. I had two sets on pie charts (near end). Really got pissed off because when i began to guess as time was finishing I saw all the easy ones at the end. I really do mean ALL THE EASY ONES. Was hoping for 750+ in this section so really annoyed but when I came out, considering I skipped so many I wasn't too upset with 690.

AR: WTF. The patterns were so easy I was like YAAAAAS. I come and see I got 600... f**k. Like, I am still confused? The patterns I got all fitted and I genuinely was expecting a minimum of 700 once I finished so 600 was like a dagger in my chest.

Good luck to everyone still to take it. I am really pissed off and don't actually know what to do. I was hoping to apply to Edinburgh but that's out the window now. I would prefer me to stay in Scotland unless it's like oxbridge etc as I have to pay for my own Uni fees. Would appreciate any help now.

Any questions pls feel free to ask although you probably won't want to considering how much i messed that up :smile:

AR was a snake, you think you do well and BOOM!
It's so annoying :/
Original post by helennic
you must apply to QUB- **

Id prefer if it was in England tbh but thanks for replying. Any other suggestions? I don't wanna do the maths test at keele cuz I suck at maths. Aren't they high ukcat anyway?
Reply 6204

Average = 627

- Official Mocks A,B,C
- UKCAT Ninja

its still a decent score, so you still have a chance. If you don't mind me asking, what are your other stats?
Original post by HT98
its still a decent score, so you still have a chance. If you don't mind me asking, what are your other stats?

Other stats???

Average = 627

- Official Mocks A,B,C
- UKCAT Ninja

thank u for that...very detailed response :smile: do you remember any AR patterns???
also what were your scored on official mocks?

congrats on the score...xx

xx
Original post by WhoDaresWins
AR was a snake, you think you do well and BOOM!
It's so annoying :/

Yeah exactly same here.

How did you do?
Original post by Squishy•
Defo exeter, you will be in the top tier and ukcat won't be applied to you.

I thought theyd apply ukcat cuz I didn't get 3A*s n I though they applied it for all tiers anyway? Thanks for the reply
Yeah exactly same here.

How did you do?

I did mine on the 8th and got 653.33.

Also ain't nothin' over until its over, how about BMAT?

Average = 627

- Official Mocks A,B,C
- UKCAT Ninja

Well done! Bet you are glad it's over now! I knew you'd do well in QR even though you were worried about it at points 😋 at the end of the day you put in so much work so it's not like you have any regrets about your work ethic, it's an aptitude test so not everyone is amazing at every section and that's okay as that's the whole point of the exam average! You did the best you could (even when ukcat gave you hard questions for AR evidently) so well done and try and have a nice night tonight relaxing 😋 x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6211
Other stats???

sorry. i mean your school exam results etc because there are a couple of unis that don't put much emphasis on ukcat.
Original post by Lostperson
thank u for that...very detailed response :smile: do you remember any AR patterns???
also what were your scored on official mocks?

congrats on the score...xx

xx

Would love to mention all patterns but I don't know which ones were right and judging by my score, it cannot have been many at all!!!!

But there was one set where there were triangles intersecting each other. Couldn't get that one - tried counting no. of shapes, overlaps, enclosed regions etc etc but couldn't. I remember one set being white shapes at the top and black at the top in set B. It would have been more complex but for that one that's all I realised. The completing series were really staright forward, saw one before where a circle has lines added on and no. increases each box. Other than that I can't remember many as I have been so pissed off. Haha sorry. If I do then I'll let you know!
Original post by Can't think name
I thought theyd apply ukcat cuz I didn't get 3A*s n I though they applied it for all tiers anyway? Thanks for the reply

They apply ukcat for lower tiers as sort of a compensation for lower predictions/achieved. If you have achieved grades you get bumped up a tier. so 2 A* achieved is the highest tier

Average = 627

- Official Mocks A,B,C
- UKCAT Ninja

How come I didn't notice any pie charts? Was I really that unattentive? I thought that AR was waaaay harder than the mocks😫
Who else did their UKCAT today?
Original post by michaela__
Well done! Bet you are glad it's over now! I knew you'd do well in QR even though you were worried about it at points 😋 at the end of the day you put in so much work so it's not like you have any regrets about your work ethic, it's an aptitude test so not everyone is amazing at every section and that's okay as that's the whole point of the exam average! You did the best you could (even when ukcat gave you hard questions for AR evidently) so well done and try and have a nice night tonight relaxing 😋 x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Really appreciated your support over the weeks - being really honest.

Can't relax. Personal statement due tomorrow and a huge Chemistry assignment. Plus just been to dentist and he put anaesthetics in, CAN'T FEEL MY MOUTH!!!!!!

But thanks so much :smile: Probably thinking of BMAT now
Original post by Squishy•
They apply ukcat for lower tiers as sort of a compensation for lower predictions/achieved. If you have achieved grades you get bumped up a tier. so 2 A* achieved is the highest tier

Exeter told me they apply the UKCAT in the tier where they are running out of interview slots. It's not as a compensation, it's so they can get the right amount to interview is the way it was briefly described to me anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Would love to mention all patterns but I don't know which ones were right and judging by my score, it cannot have been many at all!!!!

But there was one set where there were triangles intersecting each other. Couldn't get that one - tried counting no. of shapes, overlaps, enclosed regions etc etc but couldn't. I remember one set being white shapes at the top and black at the top in set B. It would have been more complex but for that one that's all I realised. The completing series were really staright forward, saw one before where a circle has lines added on and no. increases each box. Other than that I can't remember many as I have been so pissed off. Haha sorry. If I do then I'll let you know!

awesome... :smile: thanks cookie! x
I CANNOT WAIT TILL ITS ALL OVER ON MONDAY
Original post by HT98
sorry. i mean your school exam results etc because there are a couple of unis that don't put much emphasis on ukcat.

Oh I see haha.

Scottish Applicant:

Nat 5: 8A's
Highers: 5A's
UKCAT: 627, Band 2
PS: Really confident in

Think that's everything!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending