UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Final mock complete.
VR - 770
AR - 770
QR - 600

Average 713

QR just does not want to get better.
I'm actually furious. I have been waiting for ages to take this test, revised loads. End up going to the centre and they say that somebody has drilled through the Network Cable and the whole system is down.
And now it automatically says I was a No Show on my profile.
When I called them up they said I'd have to rebook for somewhere 90 miles away from me the same day.
I have no clue what to do :frown:
omg i am petrifieddd... test so sooooon
Original post by michaela__
Mine had much less data x

Posted from TSR Mobile

does back space work for clearing the calculator?
Original post by ThrowawayMike
I'm sorry to hear this. I'm sure you were anxious as hell yesterday, expecting to get it out of the way today. Which (general) area is the test centre in? Have they offered you compensation in any form? (A 'sorry'?)

I sacrificed two trials with top USA Universities and essential team training this weekend just revising. And all I got was, 'Call Back Later'. They indirectly apologised and that was it. I live in Portsmouth, so Fratton is my centre, but I am so financially tight right now, nowhere else is good for me.
Original post by ThrowawayMike
Do you have any advice on flagging? How often do you do it? How long does it take for you to decide to flag?

With VR I rarely flag, if I can't spot the keyword within a few seconds due to it being very dense text (military history, ships, very technical) I'll guess and flag, so maybe one or two sets.

QR I flag immediately if it's something I know I'd either can't, or struggle to answer. So about 6 sets.
Data from a table, fine. Percentage changes, fine. Currency conversion, fine.
Area of circles, flag. Pie, flag. Multi step calculations, flag.

AR I only flag once and it's usually if the shapes fill the box, struggle with those.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by theonecenter
I sacrificed two trials with top USA Universities and essential team training this weekend just revising. And all I got was, 'Call Back Later'. They indirectly apologised and that was it. I live in Portsmouth, so Fratton is my centre, but I am so financially tight right now, nowhere else is good for me.

So are they suggesting that you can take the test in this cycle?
Original post by ASupertramp
So are they suggesting that you can take the test in this cycle?

Well they said they'll call with a reschedule, but on my personal page, I've been given a 'No Show'. The website won't let me ATTEMPT to even search for potential other tests in that area. But apparently when I went to the centre, they'll be requesting a time extension.
Well they said they'll call with a reschedule, but on my personal page, I've been given a 'No Show'. The website won't let me ATTEMPT to even search for potential other tests in that area. But apparently when I went to the centre, they'll be requesting a time extension.

I suppose it's little comfort when you've built up to the exam. If mine was cancelled tomorrow I'd be extremely miffed.
Original post by ASupertramp
I suppose it's little comfort when you've built up to the exam. If mine was cancelled tomorrow I'd be extremely miffed.

I'm not even exaggerating this, I've invested 40+ hours into this exam, and sacrificed so much for it, for it to be cancelled due to the stupidest reason I have ever heard. I wish you luck that you do not suffer the same fate
Original post by Hamza_33
does back space work for clearing the calculator?

Yes!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not even exaggerating this, I've invested 40+ hours into this exam, and sacrificed so much for it, for it to be cancelled due to the stupidest reason I have ever heard. I wish you luck that you do not suffer the same fate

I'm so sorry ❤️ I hope it gets sorted!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michaela__
I'm so sorry ❤️ I hope it gets sorted!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank youu <3
Hey guys,

I've got my UKCAT tomorrow and just sat a mock on Medify in which I got VR-570 QR-570 AR-550! I'm so so so worried and I don't know what to do...Does anyone have any advice on how to practice and try to improve in the next 12 hours? I think I'm going to be sick I'm panicking so much.

VR I struggle completely, I can rarely find key words
QR I always run out of time or misinterpret the data
AR I'm just can't see the links :/

Are medify mocks easier or harder than the real thing? What about the maths questions in the actual test- what are they like?
Please, any advice will be of great help
Thank you!!
Original post by confusedspecimen
Hey guys,

I've got my UKCAT tomorrow and just sat a mock on Medify in which I got VR-570 QR-570 AR-550! I'm so so so worried and I don't know what to do...Does anyone have any advice on how to practice and try to improve in the next 12 hours? I think I'm going to be sick I'm panicking so much.

VR I struggle completely, I can rarely find key words
QR I always run out of time or misinterpret the data
AR I'm just can't see the links :/

Are medify mocks easier or harder than the real thing? What about the maths questions in the actual test- what are they like?
Please, any advice will be of great help
Thank you!!

Don't worry too much about your mock scores. There is no point in panicking between now and tomorrow, it won't help anything.
Just relax, have a bath, read over some shapes/patterns techniques and be in the zone for tomorrow.

Telling people not to worry when my test is tomorrow is somewhat cathartic.
Original post by nickynjoe
Hellooo, I want to study medicine and was just wondering if anyone has any advice for me.
UKCAT= 670 (2010)
VR= 570
QR= 740
AR= 700
Band 2
AS grades= AAAA
A2 predicted= A* A* A
GCSE grades= 6 A*s and 3 As
I have done lots of volunteering and work experience!
I was thinking of applying to Hull York, Bristol/Cardiff, Manchester/Liverpool, Newcastle or Birmingham. I really love Newcastle but my UKCAT score is average so I don't think I can apply there anymore. Has anyone got any advice in regards to the types of unis which I am most likely going to gain an interview! Also, I don't think I will be a strong applicant for Birmingham, do they have a minimum cut off of 7 or 8 A*s still??

Thank you!!!

I would leave Newcastle and Cardiff

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys do u think applying to Leicester is Gd with my score of 42.5 out of 48?
Hi Guys!

Well done to all of you that have done so so well! My exam is tomorrow at 8am! :frown: I don't even think my brain will be functioning at that time as I've been getting up late most of the time! I'm so scared because I can't keep to time limits with QR and with AR, I feel like it's down to chance with me. E.g. In one mock I got 660 and in another I got 480! :frown: I have a mac desktop so revising for it using this keypad and mouse has been a bit difficult as I can't be as quick. Do any of you guys have any tips?
Hi guys,

Just finished the UKCAT:
VR: 580
QR: 770
AR: 700
Average 683, Band 1

I would say the VR was a lot harder than Medify, Kaplan and the official tests, the passages were very long, I had to scroll down for three of the sets to finish reading. The questions for the comprehension were also surprisingly long to read and understand, in a few of the questions, the actual question being asked was 4 lines long!

QR is not as easy as I expected it to be, I had no pie charts but quite a few percentage Qs. My advice in this section would be to just relax and read the question even if it does look like a lot of data, some questions with a lot of data actual had fairly simple calculations, but the majority of questions required 2 or 3 step calculations. There were quite a few graph questions, one was very difficult relating to supply and demand.

AR seemed very hard so I was surprised with this score, I initially skipped all 55 Qs because I couldn't see anything! But when I came back to it, quite a few of the patterns were just counting the number of shapes, I would say I actually guessed 3 sets, so 15 questions, which is why I was surprised with my score, if you can't see a pattern after spending a while on it, just choose the set that looks most similar to the test shape.

With SJT, just stick to your initial choice, don't go back and overthink, just do every question, don't review would be my advice as it can lead to you overthinking too much.

I used Kaplan self study and Medify, I would say the VR was much harder than any mock, QR was very similar to Medify and AR was similar to medify but maybe a little bit harder. Overall, the test did feel quite hard compared to mocks but my main advice would be just relax during the exam and don't panic.
Original post by Saraah_1
Hi Guys!

Well done to all of you that have done so so well! My exam is tomorrow at 8am! :frown: I don't even think my brain will be functioning at that time as I've been getting up late most of the time! I'm so scared because I can't keep to time limits with QR and with AR, I feel like it's down to chance with me. E.g. In one mock I got 660 and in another I got 480! :frown: I have a mac desktop so revising for it using this keypad and mouse has been a bit difficult as I can't be as quick. Do any of you guys have any tips?

Where are you doing it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending