The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by finchley_grove
Hi everyone,

I got a UKCAT average of 950, 16 A* GCSEs, 13 A Levels all at A**, I've spent the past 12 years as a neurology consultant and have been to the moon.

Do you think I'll have any chance of getting into medical school?

Thnx.

This is officially the best thing I've ever read.
Original post by angoranimi
Ok, I'll do it first thing on Monday morning. If they don't require the B then the next thing I'm doing is calling up my old school to withdraw my BMAT exam

Good decision. Too many people on here seem to be so indecisive. I wish you luck! 👍🏼

Posted from TSR Mobile
Since I'm resitting (A*AB) I can only apply to those medical schools accepting resits. These are UEA (I got a C in my dropped AS so can't apply), Bristol (70% weighting on PS and only accept 1 resit in 1 subject), Liverpool, Plymouth, Brighton and Sussex and Exeter. I want to play to my strengths which are my GCSEs (7 A*s and 4 As) and my UKCAT score.

Plymouth places a 50% weighting on the UKCAt and 50% on GCSEs
Exeter has a minimum threshold for the UKCAT and tiers according to grades, I'm getting an A* prediction from my tutor so I'll have A*A*A putting me in tier 2.

My biggest worry is that I don't get any offers at all for Medicine or Chem Eng at Birmingham. Ugh I'm torn. I don't want to risk screwing up my BMAT and not getting a chance of an interview. Right now I'm just working on my PS to make sure it's really strong

Oh right I apologise I didn't realise you were resitting. Good luck😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
is it worth applying to kings with a ukcat score of 650??
i am predicted AAA and got BBCD at ASmy gcses are 1A* 3As rest Bs
Original post by AdamCW
There's a part of me that thinks some people saying 'I have 750 UKCAT and 4A*'s at A level but are not sure where to apply are just looking for a ego boost. They can't be that stupid?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolutely. They're the same kid that's gutted when they they get 119/120 in an exam and then tells everyone how disappointed they are with their score.
Original post by finchley_grove
Absolutely. They're the same kid that's gutted when they they get 119/120 in an exam and then tells everyone how disappointed they are with their score.

Exactly. I got 734 in my UKCAT and I'm bloody over the moon with that. But I'm not on here asking people how 734 ranks in terms of this years average because I know it's bloody decent. All the hard work is yet to come.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Since I'm resitting (A*AB) I can only apply to those medical schools accepting resits. These are UEA (I got a C in my dropped AS so can't apply), Bristol (70% weighting on PS and only accept 1 resit in 1 subject), Liverpool, Plymouth, Brighton and Sussex and Exeter. I want to play to my strengths which are my GCSEs (7 A*s and 4 As) and my UKCAT score.

Plymouth places a 50% weighting on the UKCAt and 50% on GCSEs
Exeter has a minimum threshold for the UKCAT and tiers according to grades, I'm getting an A* prediction from my tutor so I'll have A*A*A putting me in tier 2.

My biggest worry is that I don't get any offers at all for Medicine or Chem Eng at Birmingham. Ugh I'm torn. I don't want to risk screwing up my BMAT and not getting a chance of an interview. Right now I'm just working on my PS to make sure it's really strong

risking messing it up is better than not having the chance in first place. Do keel not accept A*AB? I remember them accepting last year i think
Original post by mm_7
is it worth applying to kings with a ukcat score of 650??
i am predicted AAA and got BBCD at ASmy gcses are 1A* 3As rest Bs

Do you meet their entry requirements?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdamCW
Do you meet their entry requirements?

Posted from TSR Mobile

their entry requirements are 3 As at a level and yehh i'm predicted that so yeah i do ..
but would my ukcat score be enough??
Hi everyone!

I got 626.7 in my UKCAT, 5A*s 7A's and PS is strong i think, and I am predicted 776 in HL 43 points in my IB. Any suggestions on where i can apply would be very helpful?

Thanks!!
Original post by AdamCW
Exactly. I got 734 in my UKCAT and I'm bloody over the moon with that. But I'm not on here asking people how 734 ranks in terms of this years average because I know it's bloody decent. All the hard work is yet to come.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah, instead you show off.
Guys Is KCL medicine website down for you too? The links are either dead or Page Not Found
Original post by Charms tee
Hi all, need a little bit of advice please,
I have a 653 UKcat, 1A* , 6A's 3b's as my best gcse. ( at the same time I have played sport to a high standard, Training daily for last 7 years). Predictions are 3A's. What do you think my chances are of getting in to medicine and which uni's should I be applying to ?

I have to send application off this weekend. Please any ideas would be a great help

Your UKCAT isn't bad. The UK averages were released yesterday and the average was 631 so it's above that. I'm not sure what decile though, you'd have to check. The sport to a high standard is decent too. Most uni's look for people that have social skills, can work in a team while showing commitment and dedication and also will hopefully get involved in many extracurricular activities at their uni. So, this would be something to write about and reflect on in your PS.

However, I'm afraid I'm a graduate applicant so I'm really not well versed on which uni's like GSCE's or A Levels and to what standard. You will have to look at various admissions pages to check or call their admissions team.
Original post by YouHaveProblems
yeah, instead you show off.

Absolutely not. Apologies if it came across like it. Being honest shouldn't be a synonym for 'showing off'. My GAMSAT exam went bloody terribly, so much so that I'm sure it would be application suicide if I applied to GAMSAT uni. The UKCAT gives a good indication of the likelihood of an interview but like I've read, KCL accepted someone with 620 or something last year. I've also read that people with scores in the 700+ never received an interview. So, all is yet to come.
Guys Is KCL medicine website down for you too? The links are either dead or Page Not Found

Yeah man, I just tried too. 'Page not found: 404 error'.
Original post by AdamCW
Your UKCAT isn't bad. The UK averages were released yesterday and the average was 631 so it's above that. I'm not sure what decile though, you'd have to check. The sport to a high standard is decent too. Most uni's look for people that have social skills, can work in a team while showing commitment and dedication and also will hopefully get involved in many extracurricular activities at their uni. So, this would be something to write about and reflect on in your PS.

However, I'm afraid I'm a graduate applicant so I'm really not well versed on which uni's like GSCE's or A Levels and to what standard. You will have to look at various admissions pages to check or call their admissions team.

Thank you. I have completely disregarded places where they are very high gcse focused. I think my 7 gcse's A and above meet most of the other uni's minimum requirements. But that is their MINIMUM so just wondered if anyone knows from we can get in meeting just the minimum requirements as so many people have like 13a*s.
The ones I think I'm in the running for are: HYMS, sgul, Bristol, Sheffield, EAU, and Notts. Would also like to apply to kings but not sure if academics are strong enough. Just wondering where I would stand the best chance?
Original post by AdamCW
Absolutely not. Apologies if it came across like it. Being honest shouldn't be a synonym for 'showing off'. My GAMSAT exam went bloody terribly, so much so that I'm sure it would be application suicide if I applied to GAMSAT uni. The UKCAT gives a good indication of the likelihood of an interview but like I've read, KCL accepted someone with 620 or something last year. I've also read that people with scores in the 700+ never received an interview. So, all is yet to come.

lol i was joking
lol i was joking

Damn. It was sarcasm or seriousness. I took a swing and missed. :smile:
Original post by Charms tee
Thank you. I have completely disregarded places where they are very high gcse focused. I think my 7 gcse's A and above meet most of the other uni's minimum requirements. But that is their MINIMUM so just wondered if anyone knows from we can get in meeting just the minimum requirements as so many people have like 13a*s.
The ones I think I'm in the running for are: HYMS, sgul, Bristol, Sheffield, EAU, and Notts. Would also like to apply to kings but not sure if academics are strong enough. Just wondering where I would stand the best chance?

Your gcses are good. Don't rely on people from here because apparently every medical applicant has at least 10A*, 4A* at A-level and 800 ukcat with years of work exp. people thought the same and was so close to not applying to medicine but ended up with 4 interviews.
Just apply to your strengths. Your ukcat is good, with a good ps you should be able to get into unis that don't solely focus on the ukcat. Don't apply to universities where they only interview people with 8 A*s etc. so avoid birmingham, cardiff and perhaps bristol.
Your gcses are good. Don't rely on people from here because apparently every medical applicant has at least 10A*, 4A* at A-level and 800 ukcat with years of work exp. people thought the same and was so close to not applying to medicine but ended up with 4 interviews.
Just apply to your strengths. Your ukcat is good, with a good ps you should be able to get into unis that don't solely focus on the ukcat. Don't apply to universities where they only interview people with 8 A*s etc. so avoid birmingham, cardiff and perhaps bristol.

Ah ok. Will have to rethink Bristol then. What do you think about SGUL and kings with my stats. I wonder if there will be clearing again this year like there was last year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending