The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by YouHaveProblems
Your gcses are good. Don't rely on people from here because apparently every medical applicant has at least 10A*, 4A* at A-level and 800 ukcat with years of work exp. people thought the same and was so close to not applying to medicine but ended up with 4 interviews.
Just apply to your strengths. Your ukcat is good, with a good ps you should be able to get into unis that don't solely focus on the ukcat. Don't apply to universities where they only interview people with 8 A*s etc. so avoid birmingham, cardiff and perhaps bristol.

Really, that's strange then! If Bham only invite people with 8A* then how was the cut-off score 6.17? Please explain as I have applied there with 6A*.
Original post by Picturesque2016
Really, that's strange then! If Bham only invite people with 8A* then how was the cut-off score 6.17? Please explain as I have applied there with 6A*.

I mean for 2016 the cut off score was 6.17
A genuine question: is 5A*s 7A's a strong set of GCSE results to apply for cardiff?
Original post by Picturesque2016

I was referring to cardiff with that example and just saying that birmingham are really GCSE heavy too
Reply 7304
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone could help me?
Got 8A* and 3As in GCSE (However 2As in English Lang and Lit, I'm second language English)
and 4 A's in AS
So predicted 3As
Ukcat Average of 680, STJ of Band 2

Set on Cardiff, Liverpool, Manchester but really can't make my mind on what to put as a 4th option.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Original post by YouHaveProblems
I was referring to cardiff with that example and just saying that birmingham are really GCSE heavy too

Thanks for your reply. Can I take that 6A* at GCSE are ok with Bham?
Do i have a chance with nottingham with a score of 626.7 or manchester? Thanks
Original post by pvk19.
Do i have a chance with nottingham with a score of 626.7 or manchester? Thanks

You could try for Nottingham if your PS is really good. Manchester I wouldn't suggest as they look at UKCAT score.
Original post by pvk19.
A genuine question: is 5A*s 7A's a strong set of GCSE results to apply for cardiff?

No, unless you already have achieved A levels
Folks, all these 'do I have a chance....' questions are all a bit silly.

NO-ONE can tell you if you will get an interview or not !

It doesn't just depend on grades - its also about your PS, and more importantly how your application measures up against those from all the thousands of other applicants, most of whom will also have a string of A*s and lots of work experience.

All you can do is make your application the best that you can, send it in, and then wait - just like EVERYBODY else.
Original post by returnmigrant

It doesn't just depend on grades - its also about your PS, and more importantly how your application measures up against those from all the thousands of other applicants, most of whom will also have a string of A*s and lots of work experience.

All you can do is make your application the best that you can, send it in, and then wait - just like EVERYBODY else.

Yeah exactly. Plus it's very hard to predict as there will be loads of applications with straight A* predictions and 700+ in the UKCAT etc who get rejected pre interview, but people with just 3A predictions and a score in the mid 600s could get interviewed instead.

Best to just hope and wait.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by ASTK98
Yeah exactly. Plus it's very hard to predict as there will be loads of applications with straight A* predictions and 700+ in the UKCAT etc who get rejected pre interview, but people with just 3A predictions and a score in the mid 600s could get interviewed instead.

Best to just hope and wait.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are good to get an indication that they have a chance. They aren't saying will I get an interview, they are just asking whether their choices are smart and if they meet and surpass the requirements to a degree (level) which gives them a good chance and if not then they know what to improve.
Also a good opportunity to give them some hope and motivation if someone with similar credentials has been given an offer or interview before.
They can work out if the meet the academic entry requirements themselves. Last year's scores/interviews will them zero about what might happen this year.

All these posts etc do is get everyone wound up and over anxious.
If you would like me to post a link to where you can find certain university UKCAT cut-offs, reply which uni's you want the cut-off scores for.

I will be able to find most of them but not all :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
They can work out if the meet the academic entry requirements themselves. Last year's scores/interviews will them zero about what might happen this year.

All these posts etc do is get everyone wound up and over anxious.

Requirements maybe, but then again this site is here to help people so that's their form of research especially in these times when they need it quickly.
Experience of others and last years info can guide them and they have a right to ask about it. It does help by knowing more about the unis you are applying to.
Original post by optimus9000
If you would like me to post a link to where you can find certain university UKCAT cut-offs, reply which uni's you want the cut-off scores for.

King's, Barts, East Anglia and Liverpool

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by optimus9000

Birmingham, Nottingham, Sheffield & Cardiff ( but they dont really look at UKCAT) :smile: Thank you!
(edited 7 years ago)

Cheers, but in 2015/2016 it says they made more offers than interviews lol? Could just be an error, thanks anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LaurynP
Birmingham, Nottingham, Sheffield & Cardiff ( but they dont really look at UKCAT) :smile: Thank you!

Birmingham - "University of Birmingham does not use UKCAT scores it is unable to
provide any information in relation to this part of your request"

Sheffield - "The University only records whether candidates are above or below
UKCAT threshold" minimum score of 1850.

Nottingham - https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/admissions_process_statistics_fo_4#incoming-815335

(2790 avg for successful applicants)

"The range of UKCAT scores for 2015 A100 entrants is: 2250 - 3270"

Cardiff - cant find anything

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending