The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Would it be correct to say a score of 2050 would be somewhere in the top 12% or so?
Original post by BlueBlizzard
UKCAT
For Undergrad Medicine, Dentistry & Veterinary Applicants.

P.S. No Irish Med school requires the UKCAT, despite the title up there. I can't change it now :frown:

UKCAT

P.S. No Irish Med school requires the UKCAT, despite the title up there. I can't change it now :frown:

UKCAT

UKCAT

UKCAT

Original post by Lostperson
can u try any undergrad courses?

I have no option but to apply to undergrad courses but I'm worried that this score is too low for the undergrad courses :/ does anyone know of any unis that may consider my application? Any help will really be appreciated, I'm very worried as I seriously don't know where to apply :frown:*
Original post by ellen111
I have no option but to apply to undergrad courses but I'm worried that this score is too low for the undergrad courses :/ does anyone know of any unis that may consider my application? Any help will really be appreciated, I'm very worried as I seriously don't know where to apply :frown:*

Hey post your stats in one message and we can try an help
Original post by Patryk_
Would it be correct to say a score of 2050 would be somewhere in the top 12% or so?

You are between 70th and 80th decile. So that means that 70% did worse than you and 20% did better. In effect you are in the top 30% but you are closer towards 20% of people doing better than you rather than 30% of people.
Original post by YouHaveProblems
You are between 70th and 80th decile. So that means that 70% did worse than you and 20% did better. In effect you are in the top 30% but you are closer towards 20% of people doing better than you rather than 30% of people.

I'm not sure if that's entirely correct, someone tweet the UKCAT account asking what decile a score of 2040 would put them in, and they responded saying it's the 8th, since the scores in the table represent the highest value to be classed in that decile. So wouldn't that put me between the 80th and 90th precentile therefore between 20-11% did better? And since 2050 is pretty close to the 2061 that you'd need to be in the 9th decile wouldn't that place me around about the top 15% mark?

Link to tweet: https://mobile.twitter.com/UKCATest/status/785439940167536640
Has anyone else used the medify personal statement reviewing service. Still haven't got mine back when they said it would be ready yesterday.
Received mine late last night. It's decent feedback, tells you what they liked about your statement as well as areas to improve (as opposed to people just criticising and making the PS seem underwhelming). Not sure if it's worth the £65 but I guess we are just so easy to exploit with how competitive medicine is 💁🏽
Would be interesting to see how everyone scored on it though
Original post by Patryk_
I'm not sure if that's entirely correct, someone tweet the UKCAT account asking what decile a score of 2040 would put them in, and they responded saying it's the 8th, since the scores in the table represent the highest value to be classed in that decile. So wouldn't that put me between the 80th and 90th precentile therefore between 20-11% did better? And since 2050 is pretty close to the 2061 that you'd need to be in the 9th decile wouldn't that place me around about the top 15% mark?

The names that ukcat call them confuse some people but you are in the 8th decile. This to ukcat means you are in the 70th-80th percentile so at least 30% of people have done worse and min of 20% have done better. Think about it like this: if you are in the top 20% which you believe then that would mean the 9th decile would be the top 10% and then the people above the 9th decile would be in 10th decile and so they're in the top 0% to you. That doesn't make sense.
People above the 9th decile are in the 10th which means they're in the top 10% of people. The one below is in the top 20% and the one below that is in the top 30% (you).
Original post by Patryk_

According to what you are saying the highest score in the UKCAT is 2150 - but instead a score of 2150 means you did better than 90% of the people! And there are 9.999999% of people who have gotten 2150 AND above!!(assuming you're ranked at the 90.000001 percentile)

Hope this clarifies the doubts surrounding this issue!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
My Medify personal statement review is taking longer than expected. It went from 2 to 19 hours?????!!!:s-smilie:
Reply 7430
Do any of you know the ukcat cut off score for 2017 entry for King's, Cardiff, Barts, Bristol, St Georges, Southampton.

I like all of these and I am doing the BMAT because I want to apply to Imperial.

my 4 choices are for medicine and the back up is biomed at st georges
Original post by 11...
Do any of you know the ukcat cut off score for 2017 entry for King's, Cardiff, Barts, Bristol, St Georges, Southampton.

I like all of these and I am doing the BMAT because I want to apply to Imperial.

my 4 choices are for medicine and the back up is biomed at st georges

No cut off, don't use UKCAT, 3rd decile, no cut off, last year was 650 but can't tell what it'll be this year and probably around 700 but not too sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello people. My UKCAT is 650 average so it puts me in the 6th Decline. So I was wondering if this is a good position be in or if it's quite bad? Thank you
Original post by Potatoo
Hello people. My UKCAT is 650 average so it puts me in the 6th Decline. So I was wondering if this is a good position be in or if it's quite bad? Thank you

It certainly is not a bad position, 650 is above the national average don't forget! Just don't apply to super heavy UKCAT uni's e.g normally Newcastle. If you apply to your strengths (do you have amazing GCSEs, predictions, hobbies/sports, UCAS tariff?) then you are in for a good shot. You just need to be smart with where you are applying, as does everyone! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Potatoo

It all depends on where you apply. Your score isn't bad at all btw.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, not sure if many here will have experience with this, but I'll ask anyway!

Currently in my final year studying Biomedical Science, predicted to attain a first class degree.
Sat the UKCAT and came out with a score of 680.
I was thinking of applying to 5 year (undergrad) courses at Aberdeen, Glasgow and Dundee (final choice is for GEM as I've also sat the GAMSAT, may even make it choices if convinced!).

Was wondering what anyone thought about my chances of getting an interview at each of these places, from previous experience either applying themselves, or close friends?

Thanks in advance!
Guys, ucas track doesnt show whether my grades were gcse or AS.....how will unis differentiate them?
Original post by 123chem
Guys, ucas track doesnt show whether my grades were gcse or AS.....how will unis differentiate them?

They should be separate with different subheadings
hi guys!
im currently in the final year of biomedical sciences and was planning to apply to graduate medicine. however, i dont know if my ukcat scores are good enough and was hoping if u guys can help me?
UKCAT:
VR: 590
QR: 670
AR: 720
SJ: Band 2
Total score: 1980
Is it worth me trying for ukcat universities?
Hi guys

Does anyone know whether Southampton rank admissions based on the ukcat or do you just have to be over their cut off score?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending