The Student Room Group

i got 5as and 7bs in gcse and am redoing the year, is oxbridge out of the question?

even for the courses which are not so competitive, providing i do well at a levels what are my chances?

***did not specify, i am currently retaking year 12!! after achieving poor results in as the first time aroung
(edited 7 years ago)
Why are you worrying about Oxbridge at this point when you haven't even retaken your GCSEs? Why are you retaking the entire year?

I'm afraid there aren't any courses at Oxford or Cambridge which 'are not so competitive'...!
why are you retaking all of them? that puts you a year behind everyone else. oxbridge isn't the be all and end all.
What other people said ^

Also, in answer to your question - did you have extenuating circumstances, so these grades do not reflect your true ability?

If yes: Move onto AS levels / A levels - don't retake your GCSEs. When you apply, make sure your school includes a detailed letter as to why your GCSE performance was below expected.

If no: Move onto AS levels / A levels - don't retake your GCSEs. Oxford will not accept your retaken GCSE grades at the same value as someone who got them the first time round. You will not get in.

There are fantastic universities out there which aren't Oxford - and if you focus during sixth form, you may do well enough that Oxford *might* make an exception for your GCSEs.

Also, don't pick a course because it's less competitive... You should go to university because there's something you want to study, not because you want to go to Oxford...
Original post by joshrugoti
even for the courses which are not so competitive, providing i do well at a levels what are my chances?

Don't bother resitting, It's pointless. Why don't you just focus on your A Levels?

Cambridge don't take GCSE into consideration unlike Oxford. There is someone who redid his AS levels 4 times and applied to cambridge and got in
Reply 6
There honestly no point resitting. Focus on your A-Levels and smash them instead.
Reply 7
Original post by Reality Check
Why are you worrying about Oxbridge at this point when you haven't even retaken your GCSEs? Why are you retaking the entire year?

I'm afraid there aren't any courses at Oxford or Cambridge which 'are not so competitive'...!

sorry i meant year 12
sorry i meant year 12

Good but not spectacular GCSE + repeating year 12 after bad AS results does not sound like an Oxbridge candidate to me.
What are people who really have good insight into your true potential saying? Do they think it's a realistic goal?
Unless you have a good explanation for unexpected y12 results AND get amazing results at the end of this year I'd look at other options. There are many excellent alternatives to Oxford and Cambridge.
Work hard this year to achieve the best possible results and then explore what your options could be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest