The Student Room Group

Can I get into uni with these gcse grades?

I originally had ambitions to go to a decent/ Russel group uni but it’s gone down the drain.
I’ve slacked a little at the start of year 12. I now have only 3 months left of it and my predicted grades are CCC. Ucas grades etc and applying for uni is coming up more and I’m feeling terrible.
For my GCSEs I passed only six and failed 3. The ones I passed are very low grades I got : 444456333. I failed two sciences and a Spanish. Highest grades in English. I want to do law at uni and Im feeling how finished I am because number one law is competitive. Number two when I apply if I don’t somehow get my predicted grades up which idk how I will I’ll ne against kids with much better grades than me. I know nobody with worse GCSEs than mine. Im scared unis even the bad ones won’t accept me because of my GCSEs. Even if I get my a level grades up to BBB or more it won’t ne enough because of my GCSEs. I really really want to go to Russel group. We have mocks in June and another set in September and I am trying to get my grades up by doing extremely well In that but still in my mind it’s always lingering about my GCSEs. Im scared I will get Al rejections disappoint everyone and be stuck at home another year. It makes me feel I’ll when I think about it. What do I do?
Reply 1
don't get too stressed, my gcses weren't great considering the unis I wanted to apply to, and I did fine. unis care a lot more about A-levels than gcses, if you're really stressed about it you can always take a year out and reapply as then you'd have your A-level grades ensured rather than predicted. I know a girl who got 5 gcses, but worked her arse off to get decent a levels and got into a Russel group and is now doing a phd at Oxford. as long as you can prove that right now you're putting the work in and achieving academically, you'll be fine. the only thing that might hold you back is English language and maths- Russel groups like at least a 5 in both of these, if you have them you're fine but if not consider resitting. hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by emm3
don't get too stressed, my gcses weren't great considering the unis I wanted to apply to, and I did fine. unis care a lot more about A-levels than gcses, if you're really stressed about it you can always take a year out and reapply as then you'd have your A-level grades ensured rather than predicted. I know a girl who got 5 gcses, but worked her arse off to get decent a levels and got into a Russel group and is now doing a phd at Oxford. as long as you can prove that right now you're putting the work in and achieving academically, you'll be fine. the only thing that might hold you back is English language and maths- Russel groups like at least a 5 in both of these, if you have them you're fine but if not consider resitting. hope this helps :smile:

also, I was in the same position in year 12 (predicted CCC (I was hoping for AAA)) and I just worked rly hard for my June mocks and got my predicted to A*AA, which I ended up achieving. if you're not happy with your predicted grades you can talk to your teachers about increasing them, you just need to be able to prove that you genuinely can achieve those grades eventually. I know people who got straight Ds in their march yr 13 mocks and ended up getting straight A*s. anythings possible.
Reply 3
I want to do law so the RG unis I was so drug for thankfully only ask for a 4 in math but a 6 in English lang and the 6 I have is in English Lang. I guess I was just worried about having three 3s to drag me down but your comments have given me hope! I’m going to do all I can to turn it all around in my june mocks. Also one question did your friend only do five GCSEs or did she only pass five GCSEs?
Original post by emm3
Original post by TTAva2000
I originally had ambitions to go to a decent/ Russel group uni but it’s gone down the drain.
I’ve slacked a little at the start of year 12. I now have only 3 months left of it and my predicted grades are CCC. Ucas grades etc and applying for uni is coming up more and I’m feeling terrible.
For my GCSEs I passed only six and failed 3. The ones I passed are very low grades I got : 444456333. I failed two sciences and a Spanish. Highest grades in English. I want to do law at uni and Im feeling how finished I am because number one law is competitive. Number two when I apply if I don’t somehow get my predicted grades up which idk how I will I’ll ne against kids with much better grades than me. I know nobody with worse GCSEs than mine. Im scared unis even the bad ones won’t accept me because of my GCSEs. Even if I get my a level grades up to BBB or more it won’t ne enough because of my GCSEs. I really really want to go to Russel group. We have mocks in June and another set in September and I am trying to get my grades up by doing extremely well In that but still in my mind it’s always lingering about my GCSEs. Im scared I will get Al rejections disappoint everyone and be stuck at home another year. It makes me feel I’ll when I think about it. What do I do?

Heya!
I would recommend looking at entry requirements for unis first. Most unis just want a 5 in maths and english (except perhaps unis like Oxford) :smile: You can use uniguide to check out different entry requirements and look at what GCSE the unis need :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Hey, do you mind if I ask for an update on this post? I just got my results for my mocks and I've been predicted a CCD (I also want to try for criminology/law). My teachers know I try hard in lessons and know the content I need to but I struggle doing the tests so there probably isn't much they can do about it (I'll be talking to them tomorrow). I've tried talking about taking a gap year to my parents but they shut it down almost immediately.
mines are extremely mid, i got 8 gcses (i passed all of them) however they arent 8s or 9s and im planning on retaking gcse maths and english to give me an extra chance
Original post by MirrorEclipse
Hey, do you mind if I ask for an update on this post? I just got my results for my mocks and I've been predicted a CCD (I also want to try for criminology/law). My teachers know I try hard in lessons and know the content I need to but I struggle doing the tests so there probably isn't much they can do about it (I'll be talking to them tomorrow). I've tried talking about taking a gap year to my parents but they shut it down almost immediately.

i want to study law too and my predicted are worse than yours, im gonna repeat year 12 id recommend you to do it aswell.
Reply 8
(Original post by tinaaa.aaaa)i want to study law too and my predicted are worse than yours, im gonna repeat year 12 id recommend you to do it aswell.

what are your predicteds? im on ccd but theres no way i can redo year 12. im revisiing over the summer and hopefully i can turn it around
Reply 9
Original post by emm3

sorry for the late response i was logged out of this account but 5gcses and she got into a rg?? this gives me alott of hope. Could i ask why she has 5? is it because she only did five or she only passed five. im just really worried unis will see my failed grade 3s and instantly reject me. But im usuign this summer to hopefully turn my grades around. my dream really is russel group
Reply 10
Original post by MirrorEclipse

girl same im predicted CCD. Im on summer break rn which i guess is lucky ( my schools closed late june earlier than most) so i have more time to revise. I have mocks in september straight back into school so my only hope is to get straight As in it so ill have to work my ass off. I've been thinking of alternatives to law like journalism or socioogy if i dont get predicted As in time and then ill do a conversion course into law after because i really dont want to risk being rejected with how competitive lawv is. My parents dont let me do a gap year either. They dont even know how bad my predicteds are ive had to lie. Id say work really hard for your next set of mocks. If all goes wrong the last option is to apply through clearing with real grades on results day which is my very last option
Original post by TTAva2000
girl same im predicted CCD. Im on summer break rn which i guess is lucky ( my schools closed late june earlier than most) so i have more time to revise. I have mocks in september straight back into school so my only hope is to get straight As in it so ill have to work my ass off. I've been thinking of alternatives to law like journalism or socioogy if i dont get predicted As in time and then ill do a conversion course into law after because i really dont want to risk being rejected with how competitive lawv is. My parents dont let me do a gap year either. They dont even know how bad my predicteds are ive had to lie. Id say work really hard for your next set of mocks. If all goes wrong the last option is to apply through clearing with real grades on results day which is my very last option

What A levels are you doing?
Also I think you should be honest with your parents, let them know your struggling and maybe ask for a tutor? I think as well, your gcse grades will only really prevent you from going to Oxbridge and like that top handful of schools - obviously look at entry requirements. Also maybe you could do a foundation year? A lot of unis accept around CCC if you apply to a foundation year program. Although, ideally you want to get your grades up a little
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by curlymaria
What A levels are you doing?
Also I think you should be honest with your parents, let them know your struggling and maybe ask for a tutor? I think as well, your gcse grades will only really prevent you from going to Oxbridge and like that top handful of schools - obviously look at entry requirements. Also maybe you could do a foundation year? A lot of unis accept around CCC if you apply to a foundation year program. Although, ideally you want to get your grades up a little

sociology, eng combined and politics. i was looking into a foundation year but i want to get the full uni experience and not sty at home

Quick Reply

Latest